East St Louis

Geddy Lee

Living In The Limelight
Having one of our own (Jeff Thomas) coming out of East St Louis, what are your thoughts on trying to make headway into that school? They have a solid safety prospect for 2020 (Antonio Johnson) who has offers from a lot of the top dogs in the country.

They always have multiple D1 guys every year and they have been one of the top teams in the Illinois/St Louis area for decades now. Their conference competition isn’t very good aside from a couple teams but they play top teams around the country for their non conference slate.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Having one of our own (Jeff Thomas) coming out of East St Louis, what are your thoughts on trying to make headway into that school? They have a solid safety prospect for 2020 (Antonio Johnson) who has offers from a lot of the top dogs in the country.

They always have multiple D1 guys every year and they have been one of the top teams in the Illinois/St Louis area for decades now. Their conference competition isn’t very good aside from a couple teams but they play top teams around the country for their non conference slate.

The problem with ESTL kids is

1. Will they have the grades
2. Will the school even be open
3. Will the prospect even be alive by the time he graduates
4. Will the prospect not be arrested by the time they are 18.

You might get negged for this but I mean those are all valid questions. I think Jeff’s junior year they had a strike which caused the team to forfeit and not make the playoffs that year.

Unfortunately, a potential top player in the country for 2023 class life ended and he would have been up there with Terry Hawthorne and Jeff Thomas in terms of accolades when it was all said and done for him at East St Louis.

Since I started following the team in 2007, I believe one or two kids that were on the team were arrested. At least it was publicly announced. I might be wrong tho.

Advertisement
Jeff is not first ESL kid at UM. We recruited highly-ranked DE Jeff Howard in mid-80's but he didn't last long. Maybe he flunked out, but I don't remember.

Jeff is not first ESL kid at UM. We recruited highly-ranked DE Jeff Howard in mid-80's but he didn't last long. Maybe he flunked out, but I don't remember.
I think that was the situation that soured ESL on us years ago. It was mentioned on the board when we were recruiting JT4 but I may have it wrong.

So, you’re saying take all you can get to handle the attrition?

Advertisement

So basically its...SOUTH FLORIDA. We're use to that. lol

I doubt they have more problems than Mnw or Booker T

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back