Early thoughts on Gattis?

Where do you stand?

• I'm satisfied with his scheme and play-calling and approve of his job performance.

• Sample size is too small, I'll reserve judgement until we play some quality opponents.

• I wish we had hired someone else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lashlee’s pass offense had problems. There is a reason championship teams run air raid principles, but not the system.
This. Someone said earlier the even Saban changed his philosophy. Saban changed crap. All he did was upgrade his QB skills and graft some air raid concepts. He already had the WRs to pull it off. But his offense remains based on being strong in the trenches and a power running game.
Gattis’ system with some of last year’s route and split concepts would be killer.

Advertisement
We're either gonna beat teams with this offense or not and that's all that should matter to anyone. I could care less what it looks like as long as we win.
Everyone wants to win.

It’s not about how it looks, it’s that we’re not going to beat the good teams running this offense. At least not with this current roster. Maybe in the future after a few years or recruiting and development. Even then we saw what happened to Michigan when they tried to win in the playoffs with this offense.

Advertisement
My fear that Parrish & X would be our top RB & WR is coming true.

While I really like each and they're super solid dependable players - they're miscast as RB1 & WR1.

Until a WR can step up and become a dependable field stretcher/playmaker - we're going to be a plodding offense.

A lot of jumbo sets and I have been disappointed thus far in creativity with the TEs - I thought he was going to have a ton of cool formations to scheme Arroyo open.

Relax fellas. Try to reserve judgement on the offense, **** defense too until after atm. Things have been PURPOSELY held back because of the quality of our first 2 opponents. Why show everything when you have 2 bums then atm??? It makes absolutely no sense.
If you're still seeing the same thing and no shots down the field and no exotic blitzes, then go at Gattis.
All this other whining about what our offense and defense is or isn't is premature. Both sides of the ball will open up from atm forward. Bank on it!!!

Gattis didn't win the Browles by being dumb.

RELAAAAAAX

He has those sets in the playbook. Ran it at Bama and Michigan. We have barely seen anything in our playbook yet.

I Guess The Breakfast Club GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Advertisement
We have been very vanilla through 2 games and I’m hoping to see tempo and more TE involvement starting this week. Also, TVD has been bad despite ok numbers. Idk if he can’t read defenses or doesn’t trust the receivers, or isn’t comfortable in this offense but he’s not seeing the field and has been late constantly.

This. Someone said earlier the even Saban changed his philosophy. Saban changed crap. All he did was upgrade his QB skills and graft some air raid concepts. He already had the WRs to pull it off. But his offense remains based on being strong in the trenches and a power running game.
Not sure if you been paying attention but Bama is essentially a passing offense, they probably veered to far off tho as Gibbs is all purpose back and the oline aint been hitting how it used to.. **** Sark in presser last week said it himself about the last couple years.. even when he was there and they won the ship

I dont even think they are running "air raid" concepts maybe spread combined with pro stuff but thats not necessarily the samething

Everyone wants to win.

It’s not about how it looks, it’s that we’re not going to beat the good teams running this offense. At least not with this current roster. Maybe in the future after a few years or recruiting and development. Even then we saw what happened to Michigan when they tried to win in the playoffs with this offense.
Who are the “good” teams we can’t beat with this offense? And how are you able to know the entire offensive gameplan for the season through 2 cupcake games?

Our struggles will come down to roster more than scheme. Half of this thread is clamoring for lashlee’s offense, but what good teams did we beat with him?

Who are the “good” teams we can’t beat with this offense? And how are you able to know the entire offensive gameplan for the season through 2 cupcake games?

Our struggles will come down to roster more than scheme. Half of this thread is clamoring for lashlee’s offense, but what good teams did we beat with him?
Right, and we had the WORST running offense in the sorry *** ACC. Lashlee's run schemes sucked ***, but people want a one dimensional offense?? okaaay
You're not beating anybody worth a **** if you can't run.

Advertisement

If we don’t get our passing offense fixed, we’re not beating middle of the road ACC teams, let alone good teams. This offense requires the offensive line to be dominant for it to be successful. So far we’ve dominated an FCS team and played so-so against a 3-9 G5 team. I’ve watched the last three years of Michigan foot ball so I’ve seen Gattis’ offense. Even with the nation’s best line, they still struggled against teams that loaded up to stop the run.

Maybe last week was a fluke? Maybe they have a secret playbook they’re saving for good teams? If that’s the case, cool. I’m looking forward to seeing something from this decade. If not, we’ll be going 8-4 for the next couple of years until we have 5 star players at every position on the line .

Right, and we had the WORST running offense in the sorry *** ACC. Lashlee's run schemes sucked ***, but people want a one dimensional offense?? okaaay
You're not beating anybody worth a **** if you can't run.
NC state and Virginia both had worse rushing offenses in the ACC last year. But who was really good at running the ball last year? The top rushing teams were Syracuse, UNC, Louisville, VT, Duke, FSU and GT. A bunch of teams that finished at the bottom of the standings. Maybe you’re overvaluing the running game? All the good teams in the conference were great at passing ball.

Not sure if you been paying attention but Bama is essentially a passing offense,
Nonsense. Even when he starts out throwing, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. It all depends on what the defense is giving. Once he senses he has the advantage, he always reverts back to power running.
they probably veered to far off tho as Gibbs is all purpose back and the oline aint been hitting how it used to..
Yep even Saban has misses. But he's recruiting the lines at an elite level so it's not like he isn't trying.
**** Sark in presser last week said it himself about the last couple years.. even when he was there and they won the ship

I dont even think they are running "air raid" concepts maybe spread combined with pro stuff but thats not necessarily the samething
Sure they are but it's situational. Most teams are running bits and pieces of air raid, run and shoot, spread option all out of spread formations. Very few are pure.

Advertisement
NC state and Virginia both had worse rushing offenses in the ACC last year. But who was really good at running the ball last year? The top rushing teams were Syracuse, UNC, Louisville, VT, Duke, FSU and GT. A bunch of teams that finished at the bottom of the standings. Maybe you’re overvaluing the running game? All the good teams in the conference were great at passing ball.
A good team is never last or third to last in their conference, much less a MIAMI team. There were no good teams in the conference except for Clemson. Good teams??lol
When you say good or great teams, think the teams that are ACTUALLY good. like UGA, Bama, osu, and what can they do well? Is it just passing? No.
If you want to be a good-great team, you need to be able to run the ball. We're finally able to run again and people are *****ing. Is this real life??

A good team is never last or third to last in their conference, much less a MIAMI team. There were no good teams in the conference except for Clemson. Good teams??lol
When you say good or great teams, think the teams that are ACTUALLY good. like UGA, Bama, osu, and what can they do well? Is it just passing? No.
If you want to be a good-great team, you need to be able to run the ball. We're finally able to run again and people are *****ing. Is this real life??

Your whole point was that Miami was at the bottom of the conference in rushing. I showed you the teams who were at the top. They all sucked. Clemson was the only good team but they ranked 62nd in rushing offense. That’s not why they were good.

Alabama played in the championship game last year. They averaged 148 yards per game rushing. Good enough for 71st in the country. They lost the championship game when their two 1,000 receivers both got hurt. When they were healthy, they blew out Georgia.

You can’t be completely one dimensional but the idea that the top teams are all dominant ground teams isn’t the truth.

So far we have been able to run the ball against an FCS team and a bad G5 team. The running game against Southern Miss wasn’t even that good. That doesn’t mean anything. Richt’s first team was able to run the ball against bums but fell apart when they played anybody in the conference.

Nonsense. Even when he starts out throwing, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. It all depends on what the defense is giving. Once he senses he has the advantage, he always reverts back to power running.

Yep even Saban has misses. But he's recruiting the lines at an elite level so it's not like he isn't trying.

Sure they are but it's situational. Most teams are running bits and pieces of air raid, run and shoot, spread option all out of spread formations. Very few are pure.
I believe its more personnel based actually. If another Derrick Henry walks through their doors, they will design the offense around him. If they have another set of receivers like Waddle, Smith and Jeudy, they will design the offense around them.

My thoughts on Gattis?

1. Awesome run designs. So fking relieved to not see the dive over and over again. The team that runs is the team that gets big plays in the passing game
2. Had receivers wide open on every passing play. QB failed to get them the ball at times and the oline brain farted the other times.

He is awesome, huge upgrade over “chuck it up and pray Rambo catches it in Lashee”

Advertisement
Back