Early returns on the true freshmen?

Advertisement
Te'cory Couch is so small man. He weighed in 145 lbs at The Opening last yr. It's highly unlikely that he'll be at 180 by the start of the season.
He may never get to 180lbs. He's naturally small. I think he'll max out at 175, which is 30lbs. That's a lot of weight to put on for a corner.

Advertisement
No doubt the striker position is just a sub package for having 3 safeties on the field. I think Gil can also thrive at that role. But if we get hit with a injury to Ivey of blades or bandy I’d rather see the coaches put Gil or even Derrick smith outside because I don’t trust true freshman out on the boundaries getting majority of the snaps. It’s very rare that even elite prospects come in and are not a liability outside at corner.

Derek Smith is not a corner. He’ll be lucky to be on the field soon.

I love how everybody says he can have a freshman year like AR had. Just goes to show how special that kid was. I feel for him. Thought he was a sure thing to go in the 1st round

Advertisement
I’m all seriousness I don’t expect Payton to have that impact. No because he lacks talent but I think that freshman season of AR the depth chart was depleted. We only had coley coming back as a legit outside proven player. This year we still lack the favorable depth but we JT4, Wiggins who will make a jump this year, KJ, and Pope..but I agree with you 12 has skills that excite. Idk about explosiveness like AR but his body control is top notch
People need to stop assuming player A will automatically get better. The only proven player we have is JT4. So far the rest of the WR’s have been JAGs.

People need to stop assuming player A will automatically get better. The only proven player we have is JT4. So far the rest of the WR’s have been JAGs.
Well in sports that’s usually what happens my guy. You get better. It’s not an assumption. It’s facts.

giphy.gif

WTF did I just read?

Agreed. I don’t know what gives folks confidence in the younger guys besides their star rankings. Our receivers were terrible after jt4 left last season.

I fully expect KJ to take the second spot and hopefully one of the guys from last years class steps up.

Advertisement
Agreed. I don’t know what gives folks confidence in the younger guys besides their star rankings. Our receivers were terrible after jt4 left last season.

I fully expect KJ to take the second spot and hopefully one of the guys from last years class steps up.

I'm sorry, but how can you not expect a player's ability to improve from HS to College?

*Note that I did not use the word "talent", rather I used "ability"

Couch is coming in at 162-165lb, not 145lb. He can definitely get to 180lb.
The post I was responding to mentioned him weighing 145, that's why I said he probably won't get to 180. If Couch does come in at 160 then that's great. He should be able to get to 180, maybe even the 190's.

I'm sorry, but how can you not expect a player's ability to improve from HS to College?

*Note that I did not use the word "talent", rather I used "ability"
I’m talking about last years freshmen, and of course I expect them to improve.

But saying that Payton won’t be able to see the field because of guys like Pope and Wiggins is a stretch. None of them have shown anything on the field worth pencilling them in as starters.

Advertisement

But saying that Payton won’t be able to see the field because of guys like Pope and Wiggins is a stretch. None of them have shown anything on the field worth pencilling them in as starters.

Appreciate the clarification. That's a different and worthwhile discussion.

Agreed, Payton is going to see the field and often this season. Kid has all the ability in the world. Don’t be surprised if he vaults past Pope and others for PT.

Advertisement
Back