Early returns on the true freshmen?

brock

All-American
@DMoney Are you hearing anything on how Harvey, Payton and Nelson are doing? In the videos I’ve seen I’m sure we all are high on Payton but Imo that kid has big time potential and looks explosive and smooth during the drills. I think He has Ahmmon Richards type ability honestly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
@DMoney Are you hearing anything on how Harvey, Payton and Nelson are doing? In the videos I’ve seen I’m sure we all are high on Payton but Imo that kid has big time potential and looks explosive and smooth during the drills. I think He has Ahmmon Richards type ability honestly.

please move to football board
@IndayArtHauz @SFbayCane
Early reports are Sore hamstrings, triceps, and quads..

I’m all seriousness I don’t expect Payton to have that impact. No because he lacks talent but I think that freshman season of AR the depth chart was depleted. We only had coley coming back as a legit outside proven player. This year we still lack the favorable depth but we JT4, Wiggins who will make a jump this year, KJ, and Pope..but I agree with you 12 has skills that excite. Idk about explosiveness like AR but his body control is top notch

I’m all seriousness I don’t expect Payton to have that impact. No because he lacks talent but I think that freshman season of AR the depth chart was depleted. We only had coley coming back as a legit outside proven player. This year we still lack the favorable depth but we JT4, Wiggins who will make a jump this year, KJ, and Pope..but I agree with you 12 has skills that excite. Idk about explosiveness like AR but his body control is top notch
I agree, doubt he will make that type of impact because we have a better depth chart at receiver now than we did when Richards burst on the scene but he’s a baller imo

Advertisement
I can see the AR comparison but I think he can be used more like Deejay his Frosh year.. The guy lined up everywhere in his HS highlights. Maybe he can be one of those "swiss army" versatile types people like. Or someone who can just get a quick pass from the slot and fake someone out of his boots like Dallas did against UNC.

As for impact you would think with our depth he won't see much of the field but you never, ever know. All bets are off because he is an EE this spring along with learning the offense with every other WR. He is at square one just like the rest of them when it comes to the play book.

Last edited:
I really don’t think any of the true freshmen will make an impact this year (and that’s a good thing). Payton will probably catch a few balls here and there, Harvey will get some burn as 3rd team DE, and maybe C. Williams at CB depending on injuries even though he’s a late arrival.

I really don’t think any of the true freshmen will make an impact this year (and that’s a good thing). Payton will probably catch a few balls here and there, Harvey will get some burn as 3rd team DE, and maybe C. Williams at CB depending on injuries even though he’s a late arrival.
Thats what supposed to happen when you are building depth

Thats what supposed to happen when you are building depth
Yeah I agree with the previous post. I don’t see any major freshman difference makeers which is a good sign. The kid I’m looking forward to on STs and later down the stretch run on D is Keontra Smith.

Advertisement
The freshman corners will have to play significant snaps imo
Think so with couch? I think he probably needs to redshirt this year and get up to at least 180 or so which definitely is doable by spring next year since he’s probably between 160-165 right now

Think so with couch? I think he probably needs to redshirt this year and get up to at least 180 or so which definitely is doable by spring next year since he’s probably between 160-165 right now

Well, I believe at least one of the freshman corners will have to play a certain amount of snaps just based on depth purposes, unless we rotate Gurvan Hall at corner which I believe he is capable of playing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Well, I believe at least one of the freshman corners will have to play a certain amount of snaps just based on depth purposes, unless we rotate Gurvan Hall at corner which I believe he is capable of playing.
****..I don’t believe in playing fresh corners on the outside. At all. But I think your right. **** we might even see them move Gil back outside in certain situations. Or even smith. If it’s me I want experience out there on the boundaries. In the slot you could see one of the fresh get burn tho

****..I don’t believe in playing fresh corners on the outside. At all. But I think your right. **** we might even see them move Gil back outside in certain situations. Or even smith. If it’s me I want experience out there on the boundaries. In the slot you could see one of the fresh get burn tho
Well the striker position when you think about it is like a big safety/corner playing in the slot. Never saw Romeo Finley being a great cover guy in highschool and thought he was more of a hitter but he showed excellent coverage ability and range playing that role. Gilbert can possibly thrive there too honestly

Exactly, it’s going to be very interesting though, we actually have the talent.

Advertisement
Back