Early Prediction Time W-L

I want to stick with my 6-6 predict I made shortly after this season but the King hype has gotten to me a little I can't lie. 8-4, King and a kicker has to get us at least 2 more wins... right???

Advertisement
The pressure is on CMD to win this season. 8-4 MIGHT save CM’s job, but anything less (6-6 or 7-5), and there will likely be a coaching change. Anything less than 8-9 wins will keep CMD’s seat warm, but 10-11 wins will keep him safe for another two seasons

Manny will definitely be back if we go 5-7 or better, and I’m about 90% sure he’ll be back at 4-8. Even 3-9 would be about a coin flip, and might depend on how bad the losses are.

I’m not saying he’ll deserve to be back, I’m just saying he will be back. People are seriously delusional about this. This school kept Al Golden for 5 years and Randy Shannon got 4. There’s no way they’ve suddenly switched to a 2 year standard.

An average team goes 8-4. A bad team goes 6-6.
a good team goes 10-2. We won’t be elite so no point in that.
Lets see which team shows up this year and how much our coaches have learned.

10-2 really wouldn’t be a good record with this schedule.

I’d say a good team goes 11-1, a meh team goes 9-3 or 10-2 and a bad team goes 8-4 or worse.

LOL at “it took Dantonio 5 years as a head coach before he won more than 7 games”. He won 7 games in his first year as HC at Cincinnati which hadn’t had a winning season in 23 years. Three years later he won 7 games in his first season at MSU, their best record in 5 years. Why not just claim it took him 5 years to win more than 8 games when he won 9?? Cutcliffe won 10 games in his first season and a share of the SEC west title. BTW in case you missed it, Manny only won 6 games while losing to 2 G5 teams and nearly losing to a 3rd G5 team. This after taking over a team he had been a big part of for the previous 3 seasons.

Also did you not read where I said that “talent wise we are far more superior than those teams”? Manny should be beating Bronco, Collins(he didn’t), Clawson and every other coach on that list. All those coaches do more with less unlike Manny. At the very least the standard should be that we consistently beat the teams that have inferior talent.

Like I said earlier, I’m glad we got this schedule. It should allow our team and Manny to erase the stench of last season. We should win 10 games this season. I would assume you agree since you believe Manny’s better than every other coach on our schedule but 2 and that’s only because they have more combined HC experience. I would also assume that you agree that anything less than 9 wins is a failure and Manny needs to go correct? Or are you a Manny fan first then a Canes fan?

Dude, I don't know where you're getting your info, but barely any of what you've posted is true.

First of all, D'Antonio's first season as HC at Cinci was 2004. He went 7-5 his first year and then 4-7 in 2005. Cinci "hadn't had a winning season in 23 years"???

2001 7-5
2000 7-5
1997 8-4
1996 6-5
1995 6-5

Dead wrong.

Also, "Cutcliffe won 10 games in his first season and a share of the SEC west title"???

Cutcliffe's first year as HC at Ole Miss was 1999. It was 2003, his FIFTH season, when he won 10 games.

Again, dead wrong.

Plus, my point isn't that Manny's a better coach, only that it's ridiculous to compare him to guys who have each been head coaches for nearly two decades.

"All those coaches do more with less unlike Manny"

Sure it's fair to claim that, when the sample size is ONE season for Manny versus 15 for Mendenhall and 20 for Clawson. Gimme a ****1ng break guy.

You really should stop using Collins to argue your point. He has done absolutely nothing as a HC. He took over a Temple program that had just had 10 win seasons back to back, and he went 15-10 in two seasons. Then he took over at GT and they had their worst season in 25 years!

I agree that on paper we have more talent than every other team in the coastal, but we have been a 7-5 program for the better part of the past 15 years. I NEVER said Manny is "better than every other coach on our schedule" as you claim. Anyone who thought Manny was going to turn around a 7-5 program in six months is retarded. Regardless of talent, there are cultural issues that aren't going to be fixed overnight. Yes, I realize that Manny came in talking a big game, brashly touting #TNM and all of that fell flat in his first season. No I am not a "Manny fan first then a Canes fan". Anything less than 9 wins would be a disappointment in 2020.

Advertisement
10-2 really wouldn’t be a good record with this schedule.

I’d say a good team goes 11-1, a meh team goes 9-3 or 10-2 and a bad team goes 8-4 or worse.

i agree 10-2 wouldn’t be good with a weak schedule but consider our team and how we’ve underachieved for 17yrs.

Are we seriously comparing ourselves to Duke? For God’s sake Duke is a team that barely fired Ted Roof, a coach who was 1-31 in the ACC in his 4 full years there, (his only win was over Clemson in 2004 the week after the officials refused to Terry Porter them when they committed a borderline PI on 4th down in OT vs Miami), because he had occcasional moral victories like the 2006 and to some extent 2007 Miami games.

Even comparing MSU, especially pre-Dantonio MSU, to Miami is not valid. It wasn’t until Dantonio raised the bar that 7-6 at MSU became unacceptable. Now he’s not living up to the standards he raised.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dude, I don't know where you're getting your info, but barely any of what you've posted is true.

First of all, D'Antonio's first season as HC at Cinci was 2004. He went 7-5 his first year and then 4-7 in 2005. Cinci "hadn't had a winning season in 23 years"???

2001 7-5
2000 7-5
1997 8-4
1996 6-5
1995 6-5

Dead wrong.

Also, "Cutcliffe won 10 games in his first season and a share of the SEC west title"???

Cutcliffe's first year as HC at Ole Miss was 1999. It was 2003, his FIFTH season, when he won 10 games.

Again, dead wrong.

Plus, my point isn't that Manny's a better coach, only that it's ridiculous to compare him to guys who have each been head coaches for nearly two decades.

"All those coaches do more with less unlike Manny"

Sure it's fair to claim that, when the sample size is ONE season for Manny versus 15 for Mendenhall and 20 for Clawson. Gimme a ****1ng break guy.

You really should stop using Collins to argue your point. He has done absolutely nothing as a HC. He took over a Temple program that had just had 10 win seasons back to back, and he went 15-10 in two seasons. Then he took over at GT and they had their worst season in 25 years!

I agree that on paper we have more talent than every other team in the coastal, but we have been a 7-5 program for the better part of the past 15 years. I NEVER said Manny is "better than every other coach on our schedule" as you claim. Anyone who thought Manny was going to turn around a 7-5 program in six months is retarded. Regardless of talent, there are cultural issues that aren't going to be fixed overnight. Yes, I realize that Manny came in talking a big game, brashly touting #TNM and all of that fell flat in his first season. No I am not a "Manny fan first then a Canes fan". Anything less than 9 wins would be a disappointment in 2020.

You’re right on the 23 years for Dantonio and the 5th year being the 10 win season for Cutcliffe, I read that wrong, my mistake. As for Collins, I wasn’t using him to continue to make my point, was just pointing out that did beat Manny H2H.

As for the “******” who thought Manny was going to turnaround a 7-5 team in 6 months, that was Manny. He was the one running around saying things like “we can quickly get back to having great success” and “we are going to be competitive for championships right away”.

As for the cultural issues inside the program, those can be largely blamed on Manny. He’s the one who has allowed the total lack of discipline and accountability while promoting a culture of celebrating mediocrity. While the changes to the OC, OL coach and bringing in King are great, this is going to be the toughest sustainable change to make. That’s my biggest concern with him as a HC. Let’s hope he gets it turned around quickly for the sake of the program.

You’re right on the 23 years for Dantonio and the 5th year being the 10 win season for Cutcliffe, I read that wrong, my mistake. As for Collins, I wasn’t using him to continue to make my point, was just pointing out that did beat Manny H2H.

As for the “******” who thought Manny was going to turnaround a 7-5 team in 6 months, that was Manny. He was the one running around saying things like “we can quickly get back to having great success” and “we are going to be competitive for championships right away”.

As for the cultural issues inside the program, those can be largely blamed on Manny. He’s the one who has allowed the total lack of discipline and accountability while promoting a culture of celebrating mediocrity. While the changes to the OC, OL coach and bringing in King are great, this is going to be the toughest sustainable change to make. That’s my biggest concern with him as a HC. Let’s hope he gets it turned around quickly for the sake of the program.

If you really believe Manny is "promoting a culture of celebrating mediocrity" then we don't even live in the same universe.

Advertisement
Back