Early Prediction Time W-L

Advertisement
Spread offense + deriq king and the weapons we have and our pass rush changes my outlook on the season.

At least 10 wins in the regular season or more

Yeah, I think a lot of guys here have been traumatized by the offense the last few seasons. IF Lashlee, King and Co. can get us to at least 30 points in every game, it would be difficult to lose most of these games. And maybe we can actually avoid things like giving up 4th and 17s, gifting the other team 4 interceptions in the first half, missing 3 chip shot FGs in a game, etc.

Advertisement
I would like to see how the offense looks in the Spring games before I make a prediction.

Looking at the defense objectively, it should be the equal to or better than last season:

Defense:

2020 D-Line > 2019 D-Line. More experience and depth this season.

2020 Secondary > 2019 Secondary. More experience this season.

2019 LBs > 2020 LBs. We lose a lot of experience here. Very unlikely that we don’t regress here.

The question on defense is whether the improvement on the line and secondary compensates for the regression in LB play.

Objectively, I expect our 2020 defense to be comparable to or better than the 2019 defense.

Special Teams:

Our place kicker should be much better in 2020. An above average kicker in 2019 gets us at least 2 more wins.

Offense:

So, this is all about the offense. Same offense but equal defense and better special teams gets us to 8-4 or 7-5.

The offense will make or break the 2020 season (and make or break Manny).

My main concern with the offense is the character of the players. Lashlee and his staff could be the best teachers and coaches in the country, but the offense will continue to be bad if the players don’t have the character (discipline, tenacity, drive, intelligence, maturity) to succeed. King definitely has the character we need, but the question is, do enough of our players on O have that same character.

I don’t know. So, I want to see how they do in the spring game and scrimmages before making any predictions.

Bronco finished with 9 wins last year, Narduzzi won 8 and Clawson at Wake is a proven program builder that a lot of people on this very site were clamoring for.

They aren't sorry teams. They are solid teams that have steadily improved as their coaches have built roster and depth.

They are winnable games but they aren't easy outs. They would give any team outside of the elites, which we aren't, a tough game at home.

That’s because they are all BETTER COACHES than Manny, not because of “coaching continuity”. I would add Brown, D’antonio, Cutcliffe, Collins and even Norvell to that list. Talent wise we are far superior to all those teams with maybe the exception of FSPOO. No reason we shouldn’t win 10 games and anything less than 9 should bring a coaching change.

I believe just one of either King, Borregales or Lashlee alone would have had us at 9 wins minimum in 2019...so all other things being equal I say 9 wins.

Advertisement
Should have 10+ wins and go to the Orange Bowl, but corches corch.

Only tough games on the schedule are Michigan State in East Lansing and Virginia Tech in Blacksburg in November.

But there are some sneaky games and Miami has been a very emotional team...if things don't go their way, especially on a season, macro-level, they fold up shop quick and get in their feelings.

8-4. There is no way this team gets through that UNC, Virginia, FSU, Virginia Tech string of games unscathed.

That’s because they are all BETTER COACHES than Manny, not because of “coaching continuity”. I would add Brown, D’antonio, Cutcliffe, Collins and even Norvell to that list. Talent wise we are far superior to all those teams with maybe the exception of FSPOO. No reason we shouldn’t win 10 games and anything less than 9 should bring a coaching change.

So if Bronco is a better coach than Manny then why have his teams lost 34-14, 44-28 & 17-9 against Diaz coached teams? His lone victory against a Diaz coached Miami team was a 13-16 nail biter at home in which his team gained a grand total of 231 yards against Manny's D.

D'Antonio and Cutcliffe are both established coaches with over three decades of head coaching experience between them. Totally fair to compare them to a guy entering his 2nd year though. BTW it took D'Antonio 5 years as a head coach before he won more than 7 games...and Cutcliffe was 29-19 in his first four seasons as a head coach.

Collins? He has an 18-19 record as a head coach. Took over a GT team that went 7-6 in 2018 and went 3-8 his first year. GT finished 104th in scoring defense, 89th in total defense and 117th against the run in 2019. They were 79th, 46th and 57th in those three categories in 2018. So they got significantly worse on defense...and Collins is a defensive coach. So how the fnck is he better than Manny, when Manny took over a defense ranked in the 70's and made us top 20 in one season. GTFOH with your Geoff Collins bullsh1t!

I won't even dignify your Norvell crap with a rebuttal. We don't praise free shoes coaches on this board! You can **** off to the noles' board if you want to join in on the Norvell circle jerk.

If the Mich St offense was terrible last year, even worse than us, and our defense was better than theirs as well, why would they be a tough game? I get home field advantage, but it's early in the season, so it shouldn't be too cold. Have then done anything like we have to improve their offense?

My original impression was pretty much based on bias from past performance.

Advertisement
If the Mich St offense was terrible last year, even worse than us, and our defense was better than theirs as well, why would they be a tough game? I get home field advantage, but it's early in the season, so it shouldn't be too cold. Have then done anything like we have to improve their offense?

My original impression was pretty much based on bias from past performance.

Miami v. OOC P5 teams on the road (or neutral site)

v. UF 24-20 L
v. LSU 33-17 L
@Notre Dame 30-27 L
@ nebraska 41-31 L
@Kansas State 52-13 L

The last win on the road in an OOC regular season game was 12 years ago at Texas A&M.

Correct me if I'm missing one in there.

Extend it to bowl games, and Miami has a ton of losses with the only win coming against WVU.

Michigan State isn't great, but Miami has been really really ****ty on the road against OOC P5 teams for a very long time. Two wins total against the P5 on the road or at a neutral site since the Peach Bowl v. LSU including bowl games. One regular season, one bowl game.

Crazy.

Last edited:
Shame cause I look at that schedule and Miami should win every game. Then I think back to those last 3 games. UGH. 10-2.

Advertisement
A road game on a Friday night in sleepy Winston Salem smells like a classic Miami loss. But then again, so does UNC after a bye.

That's another one, too. Especially after two physical teams in Michigan State and Pitt on short rest...body blow game.

We're going to be more talented than pretty much every team on the schedule, but we are most years...but we've got some really tricky spots to navigate.

So if Bronco is a better coach than Manny then why have his teams lost 34-14, 44-28 & 17-9 against Diaz coached teams? His lone victory against a Diaz coached Miami team was a 13-16 nail biter at home in which his team gained a grand total of 231 yards against Manny's D.

D'Antonio and Cutcliffe are both established coaches with over three decades of head coaching experience between them. Totally fair to compare them to a guy entering his 2nd year though. BTW it took D'Antonio 5 years as a head coach before he won more than 7 games...and Cutcliffe was 29-19 in his first four seasons as a head coach.

Collins? He has an 18-19 record as a head coach. Took over a GT team that went 7-6 in 2018 and went 3-8 his first year. GT finished 104th in scoring defense, 89th in total defense and 117th against the run in 2019. They were 79th, 46th and 57th in those three categories in 2018. So they got significantly worse on defense...and Collins is a defensive coach. So how the fnck is he better than Manny, when Manny took over a defense ranked in the 70's and made us top 20 in one season. GTFOH with your Geoff Collins bullsh1t!

I won't even dignify your Norvell crap with a rebuttal. We don't praise free shoes coaches on this board! You can **** off to the noles' board if you want to join in on the Norvell circle jerk.

LOL at “it took Dantonio 5 years as a head coach before he won more than 7 games”. He won 7 games in his first year as HC at Cincinnati which hadn’t had a winning season in 23 years. Three years later he won 7 games in his first season at MSU, their best record in 5 years. Why not just claim it took him 5 years to win more than 8 games when he won 9?? Cutcliffe won 10 games in his first season and a share of the SEC west title. BTW in case you missed it, Manny only won 6 games while losing to 2 G5 teams and nearly losing to a 3rd G5 team. This after taking over a team he had been a big part of for the previous 3 seasons.

Also did you not read where I said that “talent wise we are far more superior than those teams”? Manny should be beating Bronco, Collins(he didn’t), Clawson and every other coach on that list. All those coaches do more with less unlike Manny. At the very least the standard should be that we consistently beat the teams that have inferior talent.

Like I said earlier, I’m glad we got this schedule. It should allow our team and Manny to erase the stench of last season. We should win 10 games this season. I would assume you agree since you believe Manny’s better than every other coach on our schedule but 2 and that’s only because they have more combined HC experience. I would also assume that you agree that anything less than 9 wins is a failure and Manny needs to go correct? Or are you a Manny fan first then a Canes fan?

Advertisement
Back