Early 2017-2018 Depth Chart after NSD (Opinion)

For 2018, i think we're gonna run a 1 DT, 2 DE, and 1 hybrid DE/DT formation.

DE Joe Jackson - DJ Johnson
DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

Kool obviously wants to get lean and mean up front, with quick slashing undersized DL (Tommie Harris and Darnell Dockett types) who will wreak havoc in the backfield and who are agile enough to avoid the fat lumbering interior OL. D Jcckson and Bethel are prototypical guys for this hybrid slot. 270-280lbs, but still strong as bulls (check out Bethel's 525lb projected max squat on that recent tweet).

We would probably be in trouble if that is our DL formation in 18. You would see us struggle vs the run...and people would probably be complaining that Shaq's #s would drop off. Our 1 tech wouldn't be able to hold up in the middle.

I thought the scheme was slanted towards crossing the line of scrimmage and making plays in the backfield via penetration not sucking up blocks

It is. However, the 3-tech should be taking on 2 blockers in any scheme (trying to penetrate past them). As a 3-tech you line up in the A gap...between the center and guard. They are going to both be blocking him...whether his job is to soak up blocks or not. If he sucks and is getting manhandled by the guard the center will be in your MLB's face every play.

Now this is just a lamens analysis...I'm not a football expert, but I have really tried to pick up the nuances of the line of scrimmage game over the years as I find it very intriguing. Maybe one of these ex-hogs can let me know if I'm on the right track.

Advertisement

DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

Kool obviously wants to get lean and mean up front, with quick slashing undersized DL (Tommie Harris and Darnell Dockett types) who will wreak havoc in the backfield and who are agile enough to avoid the fat lumbering interior OL. D Jcckson and Bethel are prototypical guys for this hybrid slot. 270-280lbs, but still strong as bulls (check out Bethel's 525lb projected max squat on that recent tweet).

We would probably be in trouble if that is our DL formation in 18. You would see us struggle vs the run...and people would probably be complaining that Shaq's #s would drop off. Our 1 tech wouldn't be able to hold up in the middle.

I thought the scheme was slanted towards crossing the line of scrimmage and making plays in the backfield via penetration not sucking up blocks

It is. However, the 3-tech should be taking on 2 blockers in any scheme (trying to penetrate past them). As a 3-tech you line up in the A gap...between the center and guard. They are going to both be blocking him...whether his job is to soak up blocks or not. If he sucks and is getting manhandled by the guard the center will be in your MLB's face every play.

Now this is just a lamens analysis...I'm not a football expert, but I have really tried to pick up the nuances of the line of scrimmage game over the years as I find it very intriguing. Maybe one of these ex-hogs can let me know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks for the explanation I am not an expert by any means also and any insight is helpful for me when talking football.. this is the kind conversation we've needed on CIS since the annoying nuances of signing day lol

DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

Think you mean to say 1tech -which is either inside shade of the guard or outside shoulder of center, depending how you count the shades. This is norton in our D and he has the A gap. These guys are generally the bigger of the 2 DTs and the run stopping dt.
3tech is outside shade of guard, which means they have B gap. And usually the 3tech is more of the pass rushing DT.

But it is important that the 1tech disrupts the center....especially in a 43under because it allows the Will LB to clean up, this would be Pinckney in our D. If you don't have any DT playing inside of the Guard, the defense is going to get killed with runs up the middle. Guards just have to seal off the DTs, and the center goes free up to the mlb...guaranteed 5yrds every carry. You can't have an allignment like this unless you're sure its a passing down...even then, thats why draws work so well.

JMHO, assdicks

DE Thomas - Patchan - Johnson - Bethel
DT Norton - Molten - Fines - Ford - Martin
DT McIntosh - Willis - D. Jackson
DE J.Jackson - Harris - Garvin

SLB McCloud - Owens - Wilder
MLB Quarterman - Smith - Jennings - McCray
WLB Pinckney - Perry - Gordinier - Steed

CB Young - Bandy - Henley
FS Johnson - Smith - Knowles - James
SS Carter - Finley - Wright
CB Redwine - Dean - Jackson - Mayes

Last edited:
Somehow Evidence Nojku has been omitted from playing any position this coming season...Kid is the steal of the recruiting class being 6'6.5", still growing and runs like a deer...Saw four KO and Punt returns he took to the house being the fastest guy on his team...He's already better at high pointing the ball, than anyone we have on the roster.. Two ways to look at is Cager and Nojku in the jumbo package and Harley, Thomas, Richards and Berrios in the See-ya package...I don't see anyway Nojku sits on the bench this year or redshirts after coaches see what he can do...

Advertisement
JMHO, assdicks

You forgot about Demetrius Jackson as the backup to Joe Jackson.
And wasn't Gordinier was playing MLB?

Also, I completely doubt Redwine will start at CB.

Ah, Demetrius jackson. I like him very much. But he has been putting away the soul food for three years and has become spherical in shape. i believe he gets phased out at DE with patchan, Garvin, Johnson entering the mix.

4966008.jpg

Advertisement
Somehow Evidence Nojku has been omitted from playing any position this coming season...Kid is the steal of the recruiting class being 6'6.5", still growing and runs like a deer...Saw four KO and Punt returns he took to the house being the fastest guy on his team...He's already better at high pointing the ball, than anyone we have on the roster.. Two ways to look at is Cager and Nojku in the jumbo package and Harley, Thomas, Richards and Berrios in the See-ya package...I don't see anyway Nojku sits on the bench this year or redshirts after coaches see what he can do...

Njoku will enter fall camps at 6'7 weighing in at 215lbs. He's gonna leave Miami as a 240lb pass catching terror at TE and the second coming of Kellen Winslow.

JMHO, assdicks

Your thoughts on Offense?

offense

qb cade perry

rb walton, homer, walk-on

wr richards, thomas, harley, mullins, cager, berrios, harris

te herndon, irving, njoku, haskins, polendey

ol1: mcdermott, darling, gauthier, donaldson, st. louis

ol2: brown, milo, linder, jones, dogflu

ol3: herbert, mahoney, gaynor, dykstra, hillery

offense

qb cade perry

rb walton, homer, walk-on

wr richards, thomas, harley, mullins, cager, berrios, harris

te herndon, irving, njoku, haskins, polendey

ol1: mcdermott, darling, gauthier, donaldson, st. louis

ol2: brown, milo, linder, jones, dogflu

ol3: herbert, mahoney, gaynor, dykstra, hillery

I was with you on Defense you lost me on Offense might've just thrown this one together lol

Advertisement
I don't see how you can keep Njoku, Thomas, Harley, Dallas, Mullins on the sidelines. If CMR has any ingenuity he'll find ways to use all these guys and exploit the **** out of people. We're approaching a talent level we haven't seen here since W was the president.

If some of these incumbents like Berrios, Cager, Herndon aren't careful they could be relegated to bot roles. By the end of last season Herndon was being used to block, Berrios was playing 1/4 of the snaps. Have to hand it to this staff for having so many weapons even with the loss of Kaaya, Njoku, Yearby, Gus, Lewis, Dobard, Coley.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Even with a new qb the offense might be better, more depth at wr, Walton one year better and is gonna want to ball out in his contract year, the line will be much better (can't get worse). The defense will be a year more familiar with the scheme and a returning front 7. This won't be a rebuilding year, we can only go up next year.

Qb- Perry, Sherrifs
Rb- Walton, Homer
WR X- Richards, Cager, Harris
WR Y- Thomas, Mullins
WR Z- Berrios, Hartley
TE- Herdon, Haskins
LT- Brown, St.Louis
LG- McDermott, Darling
C- Gaynor, Linder
RG- Donaldson, Gauthier
RT- Odogwu, Herbert

DE- Thomas, Johnson
DT- McIntosh, Willis
DT- Norton, Morten
DE- J. Jackson, D. Jackson
Sam- McCloud, Gordinier
Mike- Quarterman, Owens
Will- Pinckney, Smith
Corner- Young, Bandy
S- Johnson, Smith
S- Carter, Finley
C- Dean, Redwine

DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

Think you mean to say 1tech -which is either inside shade of the guard or outside shoulder of center, depending how you count the shades. This is norton in our D and he has the A gap. These guys are generally the bigger of the 2 DTs and the run stopping dt.
3tech is outside shade of guard, which means they have B gap. And usually the 3tech is more of the pass rushing DT.

But it is important that the 1tech disrupts the center....especially in a 43under because it allows the Will LB to clean up, this would be Pinckney in our D. If you don't have any DT playing inside of the Guard, the defense is going to get killed with runs up the middle. Guards just have to seal off the DTs, and the center goes free up to the mlb...guaranteed 5yrds every carry. You can't have an allignment like this unless you're sure its a passing down...even then, thats why draws work so well.

Oops...yes that is what I meant. The 1 tech...my bad. 3-tech is your Warren Sapp.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back