Early 2017-2018 Depth Chart after NSD (Opinion)

I don't recall us using any 3-4 techniques outside of the GT game so Norton playing the Nose is a stretch.

MCintosh would play the 3 tech and Norton would play the 1 tech because we never line up head over the center in a "nose" position.

Nose tackle is a position for the 3-4 defense. But I guess you can still say the 4-3 has a nose.. he just rarely two gaps and doesn't line up head up. But he is typically ya big run stuffing guy that will get doubled.

3 tech is typically ya better pass rushing DT. which would be Macdaddy and Kilerwillis.

Advertisement
Your Offensive line depth chart look terrible to me. And on your DL you definitely need to swap Moten for Willis. Willis is a 3tech, while Moten is a 1tech. And somehow you forgot about Patchan

OL

LT: George Brown/KC McDermott - Tyree St. Louis - Zalon-Tae Hillary
LG: KC McDermott/Trevor Darling - Zach Dykstra
C: Tyler Gauthier - Nick Linder - Corey Gaynor
RG: Navaughn Donaldson - Trevor Darling -
RT: Sunny Odogwu/Tyree St Louis - Kai-Leon Herbert -Tre Johnson

*Any OL not listed here needs to be off this team. And we need to get another 3-5 OL in 2018.

DL

SDE: Chad Thomas - Dj Johnson/Scott Patchan - Pat Bethel
DT: RJ McIntosh - Gerald Willis - Pat Bethel/Jon Ford/Tyreic Martin
NT: Kendrick Norton - Anthony Moten - Ryan Fines
WDE: Joe Jackson - Trent Harris/Demetrius Jackson - Jonathan Garvin

This is why I forgot Patchan lol
2016 (Redshirt Freshman): Saw action in one game...Made career debut against Florida State (Oct. 8).

2015 (True Freshman): Did not see any game action, redshirted to retain eligibility.

Scott Patchan Bio - University of Miami Hurricanes Official Athletic Site

2016 Depth Chart
2017 Miami Hurricanes Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com
and this is how the depth chart looked last year concerning the defensive tackle situation

Then why do you have Cager, Burns and Gray listed?
And I don't know who ourlads is but, McIntosh is 295lbs and plays the 3 tech while Norton is 305lbs and plays the nose, which generally you have a bigger stronger dude playing. Moten is 315lbs and Willis is like 285lbs. Which do you think is playing which position?

Most Websites have the depth chart as such
Miami Hurricanes Football: Depth Chart for Season Opener vs FAMU - State of The U

Because their position is not filled with greater talent ahead of them, it has been a lot of speculation on those positions he just happened to get lost in the shuffle. Sorry. But do you think he cracks the two possibly three-deep rotation this upcoming season?

I don't recall us using any 3-4 techniques outside of the GT game so Norton playing the Nose is a stretch.

MCintosh would play the 3 tech and Norton would play the 1 tech because we never line up head over the center in a "nose" position.

Nose tackle is a position for the 3-4 defense. But I guess you can still say the 4-3 has a nose.. he just rarely two gaps and doesn't line up head up. But he is typically ya big run stuffing guy that will get doubled.

3 tech is typically ya better pass rushing DT. which would be Macdaddy and Kilerwillis.

I'm obviously just calling the 1Tech the NT to differentiate between the two DT positions instead of just writing DT twice.
I guess I could have just wrote 3T and 1T, but whatever.

Your Offensive line depth chart look terrible to me. And on your DL you definitely need to swap Moten for Willis. Willis is a 3tech, while Moten is a 1tech. And somehow you forgot about Patchan

OL

*Any OL not listed here needs to be off this team. And we need to get another 3-5 OL in 2018.

DL

2016 (Redshirt Freshman): Saw action in one game...Made career debut against Florida State (Oct. 8).

2015 (True Freshman): Did not see any game action, redshirted to retain eligibility.

2016 Depth Chart
and this is how the depth chart looked last year concerning the defensive tackle situation

And I don't know who ourlads is but, McIntosh is 295lbs and plays the 3 tech while Norton is 305lbs and plays the nose, which generally you have a bigger stronger dude playing. Moten is 315lbs and Willis is like 285lbs. Which do you think is playing which position?

Miami Hurricanes Football: Depth Chart for Season Opener vs FAMU - State of The U

Because their position is not filled with greater talent ahead of them, it has been a lot of speculation on those positions he just happened to get lost in the shuffle. Sorry. But do you think he cracks the two possibly three-deep rotation this upcoming season?

Yes. I do think he plays this year. Joe Jackson, Trent Harris, and Demetrius Jackson are going to be on the weak side. And he's going to be battling with DJ and Chad on the strong side. We will be rotating DL alot, that much is clear. Garvin imo will get a RS.

Obviously Chad and Joe are the clear starters and are going to be getting the majority of snaps. But I think Patchan if he stays healthy will play about the same range of plays as DJax, Trent, and DJ do. He won't play a **** load unless injuries take place, but I expect him to get solid PT for a backup.

I mean, I figured that as ive seen you display your knowledge of the game many times. But there are a lot of youngins in here and A WHOLE LOT OF COPY CATS.

Its better to be specific so the dumbazzez don't take your words and run with them..

There is enough of that going on around here.....

No offense tho. I respect your posts

Advertisement

OL

DL

2016 Depth Chart

Yes. I do think he plays this year. Joe Jackson, Trent Harris, and Demetrius Jackson are going to be on the weak side. And he's going to be battling with DJ and Chad on the strong side. We will be rotating DL alot, that much is clear. Garvin imo will get a RS.

Obviously Chad and Joe are the clear starters and are going to be getting the majority of snaps. But I think Patchan if he stays healthy will play about the same range of plays as DJax, Trent, and DJ do. He won't play a **** load unless injuries take place, but I expect him to get solid PT for a backup.

Ok I can agree with your point on the D-Line

I mean, I figured that as ive seen you display your knowledge of the game many times. But there are a lot of youngins in here and A WHOLE LOT OF COPY CATS.

Its better to be specific so the dumbazzez don't take your words and run with them..

Yeah I gotcha bruh.

43under is almost a 34 front though, and I think we could run that to perfection.

Sam: McCloud
5Tech: Chad
NT: Norton
3Tech: McIntosh
DE/Leo: Joe Jackson

Mike: Shaq
Will: Pinckney

Pinckney would absolutely clean up as the Will. The biggest problem is consistently finding the NT in this scheme. I think this year we can do so much because our front 7 is so good its insane. We could do it all, Jimmy Johnsons 43 over, Tampa2, Carrols 43 under, anything.

Having a great and fun defense to watch is such a change from the past 4yrs. I don't see how anyone cant be excited to watch this defense play.

Yeah I gotcha bruh.

43under is almost a 34 front though, and I think we could run that to perfection.

Sam: McCloud
5Tech: Chad
NT: Norton
3Tech: McIntosh
DE/Leo: Joe Jackson

Mike: Shaq
Will: Pinckney

Pinckney would absolutely clean up as the Will. The biggest problem is consistently finding the NT in this scheme. I think this year we can do so much because our front 7 is so good its insane. We could do it all, Jimmy Johnsons 43 over, Tampa2, Carrols 43 under, anything.

Having a great and fun defense to watch is such a change from the past 4yrs. I don't see how anyone cant be excited to watch this defense play.

I'm with you 100% on that... The consistency at the Nose would scare me in the 0 tech.

GT center absolutely destroyed any DT we lined up head over him. It kinda scared me from thinking we have the powerful guy needed to be successful in that alignment, consistently.

Man, I got my FSU friends biting their nails about our defense.

They cant get over the fact that we had so much youthful talent and that the entire 2 deep in the front 7 returns.

Im so frikkin ready and the offseason just started.

Advertisement
Gordinier probably works his way back to 2nd team if he gets healthy. I'm guessing he sits out the spring though. Also think one of the freshman LB's will work their way into the rotation.

OL

DL

Patchan played one play and fractured a vertebrae. The boy needs a calcium supplement or some chondroitin cause ****. Bethel ahead of him for sure.

Gordinier probably works his way back to 2nd team if he gets healthy. I'm guessing he sits out the spring though. Also think one of the freshman LB's will work their way into the rotation.

Which one? i want to see steed since he's the most instinctual out of the 3 but he's injured

Last edited:
Advertisement
For 2018, i think we're gonna run a 1 DT, 2 DE, and 1 hybrid DE/DT formation.

DE Joe Jackson - DJ Johnson
DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

Kool obviously wants to get lean and mean up front, with quick slashing undersized DL (Tommie Harris and Darnell Dockett types) who will wreak havoc in the backfield and who are agile enough to avoid the fat lumbering interior OL. D Jcckson and Bethel are prototypical guys for this hybrid slot. 270-280lbs, but still strong as bulls (check out Bethel's 525lb projected max squat on that recent tweet).

DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

Kool obviously wants to get lean and mean up front, with quick slashing undersized DL (Tommie Harris and Darnell Dockett types) who will wreak havoc in the backfield and who are agile enough to avoid the fat lumbering interior OL. D Jcckson and Bethel are prototypical guys for this hybrid slot. 270-280lbs, but still strong as bulls (check out Bethel's 525lb projected max squat on that recent tweet).

I think it's the route he's going also it's very effective in today's game

DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

So what shade are you alligning these guys in this scheme?

I guess you're assuming McIntosh, Norton, and Willis all leave early, which would be pretty ****** for us, and is exactly why we need to get the LSU transfer so that he could play for us next year.

regardless we need a guy to play over the center or 1tech. theres no getting around that. idk which DT it will be, but if all those guys leave early, its going to be down to Ford, Bethel, Martin, Fines, or an incoming Freshman. Logan probably wouldn't even be able to play the nt. basically all our guys are 3-5tech guys.

2018:

SDE: DJ Johnson - Scott Patchan
3Tech: Jon Ford/Bethel
1Tech: Bethel/Martin - Fines
WDE: Joe jackson - Trent Harris - Jon Garvin

Advertisement
No way Bethel will line up as a 1T. It's unlikely all 3 DT's leave, but we need to prepare for that with transfers or grads. Need 2-3 stud recruits as well.

DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

So what shade are you alligning these guys in this scheme?

I guess you're assuming McIntosh, Norton, and Willis all leave early, which would be pretty ****** for us, and is exactly why we need to get the LSU transfer so that he could play for us next year.

regardless we need a guy to play over the center or 1tech. theres no getting around that. idk which DT it will be, but if all those guys leave early, its going to be down to Ford, Bethel, Martin, Fines, or an incoming Freshman. Logan probably wouldn't even be able to play the nt. basically all our guys are 3-5tech guys.

2018:

SDE: DJ Johnson - Scott Patchan
3Tech: Jon Ford/Bethel
1Tech: Bethel/Martin - Fines
WDE: Joe jackson - Trent Harris - Jon Garvin

Exactly...its tough enough to find that A gap guy (Norton is our only great one right now IMO). He has to absorb the C and a G and hold up that gap. Letting Shaq hit the other A gap. I don't know if Bethel or Ford would be those dudes by '18, but we will see. Bethel is at best 5-tech SDE right now...and Ford looks lite in the pants right now for that job. I guess we will have to see how these kids develop, hopefully we can bring in a big badass JUCO for that 3-tech role...or ideally keep Norton around for another year. Also putting Joe Jackson in a 3-tech like Teddy said is criminal. That boy needs to be outside in 6 or even 9-tech ala Freeney IMO.

DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

We would probably be in trouble if that is our DL formation in 18. You would see us struggle vs the run...and people would probably be complaining that Shaq's #s would drop off. Our 1 tech wouldn't be able to hold up in the middle.

DT Ford - Martin - Fines
H D Jackson - Bethel
DE Patchan - Garvin

We would probably be in trouble if that is our DL formation in 18. You would see us struggle vs the run...and people would probably be complaining that Shaq's #s would drop off. Our 1 tech wouldn't be able to hold up in the middle.

I thought the scheme was slanted towards crossing the line of scrimmage and making plays in the backfield via penetration not sucking up blocks

Advertisement
Back