Dwayne Haskins Killed in South Florida

Man, I hope it wasn't suicide.

Years ago, there was a fairly popular and very regular gym goer at the Wellness Center-his name escapes me-that did something similar. He was a doctor or a dentist or a chiro. Something like that. The details are hazy. IIRC, he parked his car on the side of the Palmetto and just jumped onto incoming traffic.
Not jumping to conclusions here and definitely not trying to understand someone's state of mind when they do commit suicide but that has to be one of the worst ways to do it. Not only is it potentially one of the least efficient manners but you're also reallllllly f*cking with the life/lives of the person that hits you- possibly physically but definitely emotionally and mentally.

Advertisement
I'm curious about toxicology reports and the statement from the truck driver.

That'll probably tell us everything.

That witness kinda implied that he was walking onto the road purposely. There certainly would be zero logical reason for him to cross 595 right there.
Could it be possible that he was still up from the night before, after partying? Maybe got a hold of some bad stuff. That happens a lot down here.

That witness kinda implied that he was walking onto the road purposely. There certainly would be zero logical reason for him to cross 595 right there.
Could it be possible that he was still up from the night before, after partying? Maybe got a hold of some bad stuff. That happens a lot down here.
If there was a hard brake by the trucker, there will assuredly be a black box and perhaps even video footage (if the truck is fitted with particular devices). It should tell everyone how fast the truck was going before the accident, when it hit the brakes, etc.

The black box should convey whether the trucker was operating negligently or whether something else happened here.

Was he coming from home at 6:37 am, or headed there?

I live in Ny now. I hate it more and more every single day. Did I tell about the speed traps? A lot of roads in Queens where the low income people live have to deal with 25 mph zones if you go over the 35mph speed limit you get a $50 dollar ticket. you might say yeah, it’s only $50 dollars but there’s like 10 speed traps on my way to work lol. So what happens is, people don’t know the law that you have a grace of 10mph over the speed limit. So something that should take me 10 min to get to work takes me like 35 min to go like 8 miles.
I get you. And 50 dollars to low income people is a lot of money. That is why I don't drive. I just uber, but I wasn't talking about which place sucks more to drive. I was just talking about which place has worse drivers and the worst I have seen was in Miami, as far as in America.

Advertisement

Yup. My thought process as well. I'm guilty, as most of us are, of absolutely broad jumping, **** sometimes triple-jumping to conclusions before I know all the details. My initial thought here was the same. It's Friday night/Saturday morning at 6:30am. You're WALKING ACROSS 595. Could he have been up early and headed to train or do something else and some insanely improbable situation transpired? Sure. But it's far, far, far, FAR more likely he was insanely ****ed up, still up from the night before, and made a really terrible judgement.

Advertisement
What does this even mean?
Scared Uh Oh GIF by Boomerang Official

Wow that’s really sad. But I could see how it would happen. I spent about a couple of weeks over there and I rented a car, the main thing is you constantly have to keep reminding yourself about left and right the other thing is, your sense proximity to the left or right is all shot to ****.

Let’s say you’re 46 years old, and just to make it simple, let’s say you started driving when you were 16. That’s a whopping 30 years developing habits where the distance between your left shoulder and the left edge of the road or the car next to you can sometimes literally be inches.

Now slide over about 3 feet to the other side of the car and put the steering wheel over there. What you used to do before without even thinking, now you have to constantly be mentally measuring the distance between your left side, and obstacles. It’s a total cluster fūck.

I got through by never relaxing while I was driving. It just took a lot more mental focus and you really can’t fidget around with the controls or anything you just have to be totally focused.

Honestly the worst part is that once you get outside the bigger cities, and you go to the really beautiful villages like you see in movies, the roads are so narrow that two cars can barely fit through going in each direction, those back roads are insane. You better have your head on a swivel .
You haven't lived until you've raced a ****** Ford Fiesta down a B road at 11pm - if someone's coming the other way you're dead or in a hedge. We did some stupid things as teenagers.

Advertisement
I’ve always been scared of driving in England for the reason that I would mix up making a right turn, which we make with little thought over here with how it is in England which requires engaging traffic in both directions.
We have a family friend who died from exactly this. Mother and father in the front were killed instantly after being hit by a bus while turning right without visually engaging traffic in both directions. The son in the backseat didn’t have a scratch.
I drove the Pacific Coast Highway many years ago - jumped off a flight at LAX and straight into a rental car.

Still haven't worked out what the fuss was all about with LA traffic.

The only thing that threw me was that right turn you're allowed to make at any time - I got honked at a few times because I was sat there waiting for the lights to turn green.

Sad to listen to but it pretty much confirms that he ran out of gas.

Advertisement
going out like this is rough ,going out like this and then people finding out you were cheating on your wife when you did is even more trauma for the familiy. sad stuff

I’ve never gone anywhere in this country where people didn’t think their drivers were the worst.

I wouldn't say that the native Orlando drivers are the worst. But the Orlando traffic issues are horrendous when you factor in the tourists who don't know where they are going, the road construction that is always 10 years behind where it should have been, and the Publix traffic coming out of Lakeland. You have ONE interstate, and the Beltway STILL is not fully complete (soon).

We have some good drivers and some terrible drivers in Central Florida. But our death stats are incredibly high on a per capita basis.

I wouldn't say that the native Orlando drivers are the worst. But the Orlando traffic issues are horrendous when you factor in the tourists who don't know where they are going, the road construction that is always 10 years behind where it should have been, and the Publix traffic coming out of Lakeland. You have ONE interstate, and the Beltway STILL is not fully complete (soon).

We have some good drivers and some terrible drivers in Central Florida. But our death stats are incredibly high on a per capita basis.
You've also got bad drivers who don't know where they're going visiting from all over the country.

Advertisement
Back