Dwayne Haskins Killed in South Florida

Happened to me. I got launched by an absolute idiot trying to cut through the turn lane to bypass traffic and that’s of course where my car was as it was the right-most lane (I pushed it there). I was standing in front of my car with the hood up and got flung in the air. One of the most terrifying moments of my life. Total miracle I came out of it with just some scratches and bad bruising. Makes absolutely no sense considering how I ragdolled around cars that almost ran me over.

So yes. Happens way too often. I live in LA now. LA traffic has the worst traffic but Miami drivers are the worst in the country.
LA has some bad traffic but the drivers are down right pleasant compared to here. I wasn’t sure how well the enforce speed limits because so many people were driving within the limit so I didn’t want to push it and haul *** anywhere

Advertisement
One of the worst things a driver can do in SF is use turn signal.

If you fo this by accident your never be able to change lanes or get on or off expressway.

Dangerous thing to attempt

When I grew up in S Florida back in the 1980s the biggest anomaly for driving were the retired residents driving 20 miles per hour under the speed limit. Usually a Cadillac or Lincoln Town Car. Is that still an issue, or is it just the absurdly aggressive fast drivers?

I would expect Florida to have a lower rate of drivers, which would drive down the number of crashes depending on how that is measured. I would want to know the number of cars on the highway/crashes by state.
Why would u expect that? We have no real public transportation system like New York and other places, so more people have to rely on their cars.

The problem with drivers everywhere is that they are human and humans make mistakes. The sooner we get to automated driving, the sooner we will have safer roads. Automated cars will have accidents as well, but at slower speeds and far, far fewer.
FYI, every time you are entering a website and before you can do so you have to pick out bridges, stoplights, crosswalks, etc… it is because you are helping to program software for automated driving. You are teaching the computer how to identify the things it will most likely face on the road.

Just think about how nice it will be to be able to text, watch TV, sleep, even drink in your car while the car drives you to work, the gym, home.
And for those “driving” enthusiasts, just head out to the track and you can self-drive all you want.

Advertisement
I think Cmar was killed in a similar way. His car broke down on the interstate and I think another car either hit him when he got out or hit the car from behind while it sat idle, while he was still in it.

Cmar (aka Chris Johnson) used to post on grassy and was one of the most popular posters on the site. I hung out with him a couple times.
I was with my Son and Cmar at the UM vs Wisconsin bowl game in 2009....Lamar Thomas was there as well....we all went and tailgated with Allen Baileys family....

The problem with drivers everywhere is that they are human and humans make mistakes. The sooner we get to automated driving, the sooner we will have safer roads. Automated cars will have accidents as well, but at slower speeds and far, far fewer.
FYI, every time you are entering a website and before you can do so you have to pick out bridges, stoplights, crosswalks, etc… it is because you are helping to program software for automated driving. You are teaching the computer how to identify the things it will most likely face on the road.

Just think about how nice it will be to be able to text, watch TV, sleep, even drink in your car while the car drives you to work, the gym, home.
And for those “driving” enthusiasts, just head out to the track and you can self-drive all you want.
It's well beyond humans making human mistakes.

It's humans feeling invincible and being stupid, dangerous, and lacking respect. Swerving through traffic and tailgating are my biggest irritants. I have no issue driving in the fast lane over the speed limit. I do it all the time. You can do that while being safe and respectful to others on the road. But reckless driving and putting others lives at risk REALLY irritates me. I've had multiple friends, fellow students or co-workers die in auto accidents that were the fault of others. Not only that, but causing serious accidents, which only sometimes hurts the drivers, affects everyone else with higher insurance premiums and sometimes little recourse in courts with too many driving without insurance (and little penalty).

A few years ago i ran a test for myself driving to work. I drive a few fairly busy highways, nothing like big cities but busy for my area. One day i drove around the speed limit, within 5 MPH or so, mainly in the right lane and only moving over to pass a slower car. The next day i drove like a bat out of ****, staying in the fast lane as much as i could and passing cars at every opportunity. The difference? 2-3 minutes of total travel time on an hour commute. It's absolutely pointless to drive like an @sshole bc there's always enough traffic to slow you down and those 5-10 seconds you freak out swerving saves very little in the long run. We are just too **** accepting as a society, like most other things these days.

Can anyone explain how being a "good" driver could have saved his life. He was walking across I595 4 lanes of traffic at dawn! Death is terrible but when you do stupid things, there is usually a consequence.

10000% agree and I too personally won't mind at all the "sacrifice" of the "joys" of controlling the wheel on the open road in favor of having commute times become free time and the eventual MASS decrease in car accident fatalities.

I'd also posit two potential positives in the momentum of this happening and after it happens:

- Younger people that have grown up with the prevalence of rideshare availability aren't as tethered to the historical/cultural allure of driving.

- Shouldn't car insurance rates decrease EXPONENTIALLY once this happens? Along with all fees involved with driver licenses and potential moving violations?

Now the MAJOR obstacle:

We're kind of a stupid society and this will be ripe for politicization (muh freedums!!!) so the margin for error will be close to nil. EVERY accident involving automated driving that involves a fatality will resonate across and be exploited as if 10000 people died in this country. Lawsuits will abound.

I still think we absolutely get there sooner rather than later but I think it will be sped up in this country if we first see it approach almost universal levels without major incident in other countries and the benefits become too obvious to fight it here.

Advertisement
10000% agree and I too personally won't mind at all the "sacrifice" of the "joys" of controlling the wheel on the open road in favor of having commute times become free time and the eventual MASS decrease in car accident fatalities.

I'd also posit two potential positives in the momentum of this happening and after it happens:

- Younger people that have grown up with the prevalence of rideshare availability aren't as tethered to the historical/cultural allure of driving.

- Shouldn't car insurance rates decrease EXPONENTIALLY once this happens? Along with all fees involved with driver licenses and potential moving violations?

Now the MAJOR obstacle:

We're kind of a stupid society and this will be ripe for politicization (muh freedums!!!) so the margin for error will be close to nil. EVERY accident involving automated driving that involves a fatality will resonate across and be exploited as if 10000 people died in this country. Lawsuits will abound.

I still think we absolutely get there sooner rather than later but I think it will be sped up in this country if we first see it approach almost universal levels without major incident in other countries and the benefits become too obvious to fight it here.
Great points and you are right that every accident with a self-automated car will result in an uproar of, “See I told you they were not safe. I need to be in control of my car”. Which will completely ignore the statistical evidence of far fewer car crashes With automated cars as opposed to humans driving.

I love your points about younger people not driving themselves as much and insurance rates.
It will be interesting to see if the car companies fight or promote automated cars. Tesla will likely promote, but I wonder if the “freedom” crowd to which the US car companies often caters will push them to work against automation.

Pffff…. New York drivers are worse. I see backing up into an exit all the time. People doing 60 n dude going 40 gets on the left lane. 40mph zone people going 28mph. Dudes out here got fake paper Jersey plate. Dudes running into stores, killing pedestrians waiting for buses, people on their phones. It’s a **** show in ny.
Did you spend long periods of time in both places? I felt the florida drivers were significantly worse.

Great points and you are right that every accident with a self-automated car will result in an uproar of, “See I told you they were not safe. I need to be in control of my car”. Which will completely ignore the statistical evidence of far fewer car crashes With automated cars as opposed to humans driving.

I love your points about younger people not driving themselves as much and insurance rates.
It will be interesting to see if the car companies fight or promote automated cars. Tesla will likely promote, but I wonder if the “freedom” crowd to which the US car companies often caters will push them to work against automation.
If I actually had to drive all the time, I would take a highly automated car or a driver in a second if I could.

It’s not that I don’t like to drive, I just don’t love it and would rather spend the time doing something else while getting from place to place.

Advertisement
Buenos Aires is the wildest driving I have ever experienced. It is far beyond anything in the US.
I will trump your Buenos Aires with Mumbai, India. No lanes and barely even sides of the road. Cars just fit in where they can and stay on their horms constantly.
Probably a lot like Buenos Aires though I’ve never been.

Advertisement
This! You really have to change your mindset to drive in NY. I can’t say that about any other place that I’ve driven.

The being alert part is no joke in NYC, not only do you have people from time to time popping out between cars on the streets, but you’ve got bikes to deal with, and people stopping on a dime all the time. You better bring your A game.

I will trump your Buenos Aires with Mumbai, India. No lanes and barely even sides of the road. Cars just fit in where they can and stay on their horms constantly.
Probably a lot like Buenos Aires though I’ve never been.

Oh yeah, you bring up a really good point. There are other cities in the world, where the driving is literally insane. And I’ve never been to India, but I’ve seen videos, the whole traffic situation is a fūcking crazy *** fire drill. It’s like there are no rules, no lanes, just fūcking go. And there are other cities like that.

Driving in the UK is no picnic if you spent your entire adult and youth life, driving a car with a steering wheel on the left, and then those roundabouts, even in England where people or somewhat more polite, except may be in London, if you’re not used to using a roundabout you could end up driving around in circles four or five times before you get your exit.

Oh yeah, you bring up a really good point. There are other cities in the world, where the driving is literally insane. And I’ve never been to India, but I’ve seen videos, the whole traffic situation is a fūcking crazy *** fire drill. It’s like there are no rules, no lanes, just fūcking go. And there are other cities like that.

Driving in the UK is no picnic if you spent your entire adult and youth life, driving a car with a steering wheel on the left, and then those roundabouts, even in England where people or somewhat more polite, except may be in London, if you’re not used to using a roundabout you could end up driving around in circles four or five times before you get your exit.
I’ve always been scared of driving in England for the reason that I would mix up making a right turn, which we make with little thought over here with how it is in England which requires engaging traffic in both directions.
We have a family friend who died from exactly this. Mother and father in the front were killed instantly after being hit by a bus while turning right without visually engaging traffic in both directions. The son in the backseat didn’t have a scratch.

Advertisement
Back