DVD question

Borregales:
2020: 20/22 90% 40/40 XP
2019: 21/29 72% 37/39 XP
2018: 14/19 73% 54/55 XP
2017: 15/18 83% 40/40 XP

Seems he was regressing after his freshman year until he got to Miami

Striker has been alright yet Frierson was arguably our best player on defense last season
Lol at Gil being better than Phillips or Roche....

**** is even argue Bolden was having a better season before whatever happened injury wise against Clemson

but okay

Advertisement
What benefit do we get by moving Rumph to recruiting position? Seems like Manny is just moving the proverbial chairs around the Titanic deck.

Was wondering about that as well.
If recruiting is his suppposed weakness [and virtually none of us really know the scoop as to what restrictions or limits he had on recruting or if others such as Banda were able to override him or caused some conflicts] one school of thought is to attack your greatest weakness to make it one of your greatest strengths.
Maybe he takes a step back for now and focuses on recruiting, learns from Cooney, observes how Robinson handles recruiting, and converts this wealness into a strength.
As an aside I know some posters have opined Rumph is terrible at developing players, but have yet to see any former player who actually interacts or has interacted with him on a daily basis say that. I reccall Adrain Colbert being so thankful he got to learn under Rumph to convert from safety to cornerback and get a shot to play in the league. I also recall Corn Elder make one of the best diving interceptions of deflections I've seen in awhile. Even Ivey, for all the bashing he gets, was in great position and made a textbook interception during one of the last games, which unfortunately didn't count due to an unrelated penalty. [PS not saying Rumph is perfect or a great CB devloper, am definitely not intending this post to get into another prolonged bashing of Rumph's ability to develop, and Im sure some will say you dont need to be a former player to evaluate this.]
Even Joaquin Gonzalez, who is not shy about bashing the staff - btw would love to see him put his $$$ where his mouth is and coach, so he can expereince being on the other side of the fence, is pro Rumph.

Do y’all need some Cheese with that Wine..Hamn B happy for DVD I am..promote with in the program he’s earned that CB coaching job..it’s not like Manny is throwing him to the wolfs..Trob is in the secondary with him and uhh DVD has played CB his self...he’s another pair of fresh eyes along with Trobs eyes that will get Our secondary in tip top shape..sometimes U have to shake things up..CoachRumph has also earned a office job..he’s put in work also...the results may not have worked out on the field with the skills that he was teaching but deserves that job...Happy for U DVD it’s all about the U baby

Want to address the kicking stats or want to ignore them
Willing to bet he ignores them. While you're at it, show him Hedley's Yards per punt in Juco compared to here. If I recall, he was under 40 in juco.

But people like to withhold credit, and not blame. If the punt returners caught the ball, nobody would give him credit for that.

I like to judge on balance, ill give you the positives and negatives. No emotion involved.

Positives
1) kicker won Lou Groza award. Didnt win that award at FIU.
2) Hedley AP all american. Wasnt punting over 40 yards per punt in juco.
3) Frierson and Smith both had a solid year.
4) Chase Smith committed at his position.
5) Andres Borregales committed at his position.
6) Had a few blocked kicks, and returned one against Clemson.

Negatives
1) Punt returners couldn't consistently catch.
2) Kickoff was returned.

Advertisement
Borregales:

Striker has been alright yet Frierson was arguably our best player on defense last season

idk if patke had any impact with jose, but this. he was good but not this good. he was a semi finalist for the groza years back and then won it this year. hedley -- idk who recruited him, but if it was patke then he does deserve some credit. w strikers, im happy with how Gil performed. that said, i wouldn't lose sleep if we fired patke

Who did we promote him to land? His job should be judged on that. TRob is primary DB coach so DVD sole purpose is to recruit and, apparently, learn how to coach DBs (at Miami. Yikes).

Problem with DVD is he’s cutting his teeth with us, his first on field job is with us and that shouldn’t happen unless we have 10 strong on field coaches (we don’t).

another issue is DVD is all Buddy Buddy with the players so it’s going to be hard to now turn into a coach and not a friend. It’s a very fine line.
I was a football coach over 27 yrs , what your speaking of is true, being buddy buddy/ coach ....now it takes a skill /a certain personality to turn on and off having the respect from that player plus gain the Close relationship In friendship that ,A coach looks for , we will see if DVD has this skill over time.

Advertisement
Borregales:

so your claim is that Patke is the kicker whisperer? Why didn't he fix Baxa than?

Haters? Or calling it as it is?

Props to DVD for snagging a Power 5 Job that will be on his resume but how does this help the school achieve our goals?
Lmao. Calm down. Please... tell us who’d you prefer? Please. If you really think there’s a guythat can turn around our program through a CB coach position... I’d love to hear it.

Want to address the kicking stats or want to ignore them
Sure.

A 4th year senior who improved. What extra coaching did he receive from Patke coming out of covid limitations lol

We know **** well he didn’t get it out of bubba Baxa. But let’s see how he is with kid brother Borregalas

so your claim is that Patke is the kicker whisperer? Why didn't he fix Baxa than?
Patke gotta be held accountable. Our Special team was terrible. Not our kickers... our special team! I don’t think I saw one punt return this year. 1000 fair catch, 5 muff punts, and probably 6 punts returned for a total 10 yards. Same with the kickoffs. I don’t remember 1 kickoff crossing the 25. Smh.

Advertisement
Lmao. Calm down. Please... tell us who’d you prefer? Please. If you really think there’s a guythat can turn around our program through a CB coach position... I’d love to hear it.
Keep following me around little boy. Lol

not my job to find competent coaches to coach at the Power 5 level... I mean Diaz only has the power 5 and group of 5 coaching lists to dig through to find names.

Keep following me around little boy. Lol

not my job to find competent coaches to coach at the Power 5 level... I mean Diaz only has the power 5 and group of 5 coaching lists to dig through to find names.
Lol. You’re crazy. We talking CB coach?? Come on son.

Patke didn’t have anything to do with Lou or Jose’s success. Zero they were very wel coached and prepared before they got here.

Under patke our punt return has yet to improve and is still a liability. NO ONE knows how to field a punt properly. I’m guessing because we haven’t brought in a transfer who hasn’t been coached up before patke got him. Toss in terrible punt coverage fielding and blocking.

Striker position has been “alright” but nothing amazing. So again why not bring someone else into this... like maybe Telly?

Patke certainly didn't teach them to kick better. He had no experience in that department, none of our staff did. He was a linebacker in college.

Kickers often learn to do better by reps in college. During the off seasons they often work with someone in the field privately. They rarely have someone who has actual experience as a kicker helping. It's kind of crazy as there's a lot of games that come down to a missed opportunity, but it is what it is.

Advertisement
With the dead period extended through April 15, DVD's promotion won't drastically effect his recruiting any time soon.

I was a football coach over 27 yrs , what your speaking of is true, being buddy buddy/ coach ....now it takes a skill /a certain personality to turn on and off having the respect from that player plus gain the Close relationship In friendship that ,A coach looks for , we will see if DVD has this skill over time.
I think he has it, might take a bit but man we still have some weak links on this staff

You mean hiring a first time position coach that only had an offer to coach CBs at Utah St is coaching that same position here (for probably more money?) isn't good?

Advertisement
Back