DVD question

Advertisement
The only way I get it is if Trob is going to take on some type of passing game coordinator role on D on top of DBs otherwise it’s a wasted position coach.

Me after the new defensive hires...

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

Advertisement
DVD is basically just going to develop under TRob while we get the benefit of having him as a full time recruiter. We all know that TRob is running that DB room and DVD is his glorified assistant coach. That being said, I would have preferred that we filled that coaching position with a legitimate LB coach.

DVD is basically just going to develop under TRob while we get the benefit of having him as a full time recruiter. We all know that TRob is running that DB room and DVD is his glorified assistant coach. That being said, I would have preferred that we filled that coaching position with a legitimate LB coach.

This is all true.
And the way the rules are, off-field coaches can already communicate directly with recruits in every way except making off-campus visits. But with the dead period constantly being extended (now through April 15), none of the on-field coaches can make visits anyway.

He’s very connected with local players, coaches and parents. He was big in getting J. Williams. Besides DB’s This cycle he will be big with Shemar and Blisanthe.

Advertisement
Lmao. Calm down. Please... tell us who’d you prefer? Please. If you really think there’s a guythat can turn around our program through a CB coach position... I’d love to hear it.
It's not for us to determine who's a better candidate. It's for Manny (or maybe we should just ask LCE).

The issue is that we just brought in TRob, who can coach both (as do most schools do), and did not use our remaining opening to address a glaring gap at LB, which has been our most significant weakness on defense not withstanding the lack of numbers at DB.

What benefit did we grab by promoting him to a coaching spot?? Yeah I get he gets to recruit off campus

is he plugged in with a certain staff or player ?? Like Central? MNW? STA? Shemar Stewart? Kamari Wilson?

Also who has he been integral part of a recruitment and going forward that you can justify having ANOTHER learning on the job CB coach

The DVD promotion was OK with Rob on staff. Not so great with dead with in patke and baker

Patke didn’t have anything to do with Lou or Jose’s success. Zero they were very wel coached and prepared before they got here.

Under patke our punt return has yet to improve and is still a liability. NO ONE knows how to field a punt properly. I’m guessing because we haven’t brought in a transfer who hasn’t been coached up before patke got him. Toss in terrible punt coverage fielding and blocking.

Striker position has been “alright” but nothing amazing. So again why not bring someone else into this... like maybe Telly?
Right. Of course, Patke was ragged for our prior kickers.

Advertisement
DVD is basically an Assistant position coach. He reports to TRob and then to the DC. He is not solely in charge of his own room. He has a lot of potential to develop into a good coach, and he will be an asset in recruiting. He was ready to be an on-field coach in that capacity.

Given all of that, I have less of a problem with his hire/promotion, than I do with keeping Patke and Baker on staff.

Me after the new defensive hires...

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

I will say this:

As I noted in my post above, DVD is basically an "Assistant" position coach, with TRob heading up DB's. Don't have a massive problem with his hire/promotion, although I would have preferred to have a dedicated safeties coach and have TRob 100% focused on CB's. Although, DVD will also be a heck of a lot more valuable to the defense and recruiting than a GA assigned to the room.

TRob is light years better than Rumph, and Simpson is a very good DL coach who will be an upgrade to Stroud in certain areas. Manny calling the defense is better than Baker, but not preferable under the circumstances to getting a top flight DC with a fresh set of eyes.

I really just don't agree (or understand) keeping Patke and Baker. Something objectively doesn't make sense.

So, add that all up?

The defensive staff is better than it was 10 days ago.

However, it's an improvement I would generously grade as "B-" when I was hoping for an "A."

DVD is basically an Assistant position coach. He reports to TRob and then to the DC. He is not solely in charge of his own room. He has a lot of potential to develop into a good coach, and he will be an asset in recruiting. He was ready to be an on-field coach in that capacity.

Given all of that, I have less of a problem with his hire/promotion, than I do with keeping Patke and Baker on staff.
I don't think anyone is going to argue with you're last point. The problem is we yet again are giving a guy their first ******* FBS positional coaching experience, JUST because he got offered a job at ******* Utah State. It's a joke. And **** I like DVD. I just think we should have kept him off the field at least another year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back