Duke - Speed

Cane[]_[]DigIt;1632757 said:
If he's going to be the workhorse back (as he should be IMO), he needs the extra weight. If that means getting caught from behind by a smaller DB 60 yds down the field, I can live with that.

De’Anthony Thomas says hello... He's light in the *** and that doesn't seem to be hurting him. Oregon probably uses him differently though..

De'Anthony Thomas is far from a workhorse on that team. And I doubt he's ever been asked to carry the rock 5 times in a row. Or carry the ball 20+ times in a game. They use their offense to get him away from lineman and linebackers who will obviously wreck his ****. With that being said. They run a great scheme for him and when he gets the ball he makes big plays.

Advertisement
Only thing I'm worried about is his head. Kid was going to have a special night if he didn't get hurt. I've seen it multiple times this season where he dives at a defender using his head and needs to stop doing that.

I thought the UNC guy actually tried to 'kick' his head with his knee, but that may have been the 8 or 9 beers...

If he's going to be the workhorse back (as he should be IMO), he needs the extra weight. If that means getting caught from behind by a smaller DB 60 yds down the field, I can live with that.

Next year, when he's used to the added weight, he will break thige for TD's. His body is still maturing. It takes time.

De’Anthony Thomas says hello... He's light in the *** and that doesn't seem to be hurting him. Oregon probably uses him differently though..

De'Anthony Thomas is far from a workhorse on that team. And I doubt he's ever been asked to carry the rock 5 times in a row. Or carry the ball 20+ times in a game. They use their offense to get him away from lineman and linebackers who will obviously wreck his ****. With that being said. They run a great scheme for him and when he gets the ball he makes big plays.

Yeah, like I said I figured they probably used him differently. I thought of the name cause he was brought up during the game. Duke just seems to have lost a little top end speed. He routinely took those to the house last year.

Thomas has less than half the carries (and yards) as Duke. So, yes, Oregon uses him much differently.

Advertisement
He's 5'8 200 pounds. He came in at 180ish

He seems to lose his stamina about 30 yards downfield. I guess the new weight tires him at the end of long runs.

But the cb that caught him has legit 4.3 spees

Only thing I'm worried about is his head. Kid was going to have a special night if he didn't get hurt. I've seen it multiple times this season where he dives at a blocker using his head and needs to stop doing that.

Agreed it's poor technique he needs to aim for the players thighs. he goes too low on those and injures himself. That goodness it wasn't a neck injury.

Well the defender tried to leap over him, so I don't think his technique was poor.

When you consistently get hurt on routine cut blocks it's poor technique.

Constantly?

It's happened twice.

How do you avoid getting kneed in the side of the head when a defender tries to jump over you?

I'm not going to argue about it. using your head as a blocking tool is not a good idea. it happened against FAU and it happened last night. Those are the cases we know about. For all we know Duke could be seeing stars in other games or be nursing a neck injury. I understand the guy jumped. but he dropped his head and was diving head first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r7weNOetQc here is a short simulation video of how a RB is suppose to cut block aiming higher towards the midsection to compensate for the defender possibly jumping.

Advertisement
Only thing I'm worried about is his head. Kid was going to have a special night if he didn't get hurt. I've seen it multiple times this season where he dives at a blocker using his head and needs to stop doing that.

Agreed it's poor technique he needs to aim for the players thighs. he goes too low on those and injures himself. That goodness it wasn't a neck injury.

Well the defender tried to leap over him, so I don't think his technique was poor.

When you consistently get hurt on routine cut blocks it's poor technique.

Constantly?

It's happened twice.

How do you avoid getting kneed in the side of the head when a defender tries to jump over you?

Dont lead with your head

His blocking technique is horrid he's going to get himself killed. Keep that head up and he would've still been playing

He can still make 50 plus yard runs, so i don't think his top end speed really matters. More concerned about his ability to stay healthy

Duke is obviously the best big play threat we have then of course Dorsett, on offense..... 83 yards on 8 carries in 1 quarter is crazy.

If he is going to break a 60 yard run, I'd take him getting caught from behind at the 10 yard line all day

Advertisement
I been thinking he looks a little slower. The weight is new; it doesn't mean he will not adsjust to it and get his top end back. If not, so he becomes a 6 to 8 yards a carry back with a 40 or 50 yarder throw in one or twice a game. Maybe DT scores 20 plus TDs this year. Duke's moves and eye remain elite, which equals a lot of 8 - 12 yard runs. Keep our pass happy QB and OC fingers off the trigger some and that is one heck of an offense. Some play action once they start loading the box and bingo -- long TD passes too. Problem is Morris has to get under center for runs to max out and play action to work best -- and he seems to have trouble getting back now.

like zone said hes never been that fast but ever since I saw him at the under armor all star game I questioned if he could take the punishment and he just can't. I hate bringing this **** up but that RB miss last class was huge to me because of this, I saw this happening along time ago.

like zone said hes never been that fast but ever since I saw him at the under armor all star game I questioned if he could take the punishment and he just can't. I hate bringing this **** up but that RB miss last class was huge to me because of this, I saw this happening along time ago.

Dallas Crawford is much better then Alex Collins..... he is all the rb we need to share the load w/ Duke imo.

Advertisement

Dallas Crawford is much better then Alex Collins..... he is all the rb we need to share the load w/ Duke imo.

I dont know zone I gotta disagree with u but boy looked good last night and patient. Thats the Offense I wanted Miami to run from day 1. Punch u in the face with that OL they should be doing it to everyone. I dont wanna turn it to a AC thread but I would take him asap because the holes Dallas ran through Duke houses them and AC houses them.

Advertisement
Back