Duke - Speed

Cane[]_[]DigIt

It's all about the []_[]
Is it me or does it seem like he's lost that last gear to really pull away? Numerous times last year he was able to finish the long run but that hasn't been the case this year. I know he's been dinged up in each game but like last night before he got hurt he was caught from behind. That wasn't the case before he added extra weight.

Advertisement
His acceleration and burst has always been elite.... but i dont think he's ever been a guy w/ a lot of top end speed.

He got hawked down by a corner, atleast it wasnt a LB or safety, so it wasnt that bad... but he seems to loose speed after about 30-40 yards.

If he's going to be the workhorse back (as he should be IMO), he needs the extra weight. If that means getting caught from behind by a smaller DB 60 yds down the field, I can live with that.

I actually thought he kind of let up just ever so slightly because he didn't think anyone was behind him. Hard to tell though.

Only thing I'm worried about is his head. Kid was going to have a special night if he didn't get hurt. I've seen it multiple times this season where he dives at a defender using his head and needs to stop doing that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Artie Burns, Dorsett, maybe Coley take that to the house. That CB was flyin. Agree with above poster, Duke has become more workhorse, less homerun threat.

Only thing I'm worried about is his head. Kid was going to have a special night if he didn't get hurt. I've seen it multiple times this season where he dives at a blocker using his head and needs to stop doing that.

Agreed it's poor technique he needs to aim for the players thighs. he goes too low on those and injures himself. Thank goodness it wasn't a neck injury.

That's the first time I can ever remember him getting walked down by a defender who didn't have the angle. **** happens. Barry Sanders didn't always finish long runs.

I'll live with Duke ripping off 60-yard runs.

Advertisement
Duke never had elite top end speed like D'Anthony Thomas. He has football speed. When he breaks a tackle he usually takes it to the house because the Defenders have to change their angles of pursuit. On his clean runs he is usually caught by a DB who is running a str8 line.

Only thing I'm worried about is his head. Kid was going to have a special night if he didn't get hurt. I've seen it multiple times this season where he dives at a blocker using his head and needs to stop doing that.

Agreed it's poor technique he needs to aim for the players thighs. he goes too low on those and injures himself. That goodness it wasn't a neck injury.

Well the defender tried to leap over him, so I don't think his technique was poor.

Advertisement

Agreed it's poor technique he needs to aim for the players thighs. he goes too low on those and injures himself. That goodness it wasn't a neck injury.

Well the defender tried to leap over him, so I don't think his technique was poor.

When you consistently get hurt on routine cut blocks it's poor technique.

If he's going to be the workhorse back (as he should be IMO), he needs the extra weight. If that means getting caught from behind by a smaller DB 60 yds down the field, I can live with that.

De’Anthony Thomas says hello... He's light in the *** and that doesn't seem to be hurting him. Oregon probably uses him differently though..

Not getting run down from behind last year somebody said

I don't think that is true because I remember in the offseason I was watching his highlights and he got run down like that a few times, and I also remember telling myself and other people with another year of experience and U Tough nobody would catch him from behind this year... I was wrong but when it is all said and done he had a great run and our o needs to get 6 on the board in those situations

Advertisement
I actually thought he kind of let up just ever so slightly because he didn't think anyone was behind him. Hard to tell though.

Watching the game now, (was at the game, but wanted to see it from television view), and that was my reaction. Let off too early.

Duke never had elite top end speed like D'Anthony Thomas. He has football speed. When he breaks a tackle he usually takes it to the house because the Defenders have to change their angles of pursuit. On his clean runs he is usually caught by a DB who is running a str8 line.

This.

When you consistently get hurt on routine cut blocks it's poor technique.

Constantly?

It's happened twice.

How do you avoid getting kneed in the side of the head when a defender tries to jump over you?

I made the same observation in the game thread. I can recall at least 3 occasions this year where he was caught from behind on what should have been easy TD's once he reached open space. **** one of the runs was against Savannah State. That shouldn't happen.

Advertisement
Back