Duke speed this year

Spookcane

EL PUMA
is it me or has duke lost a step in the open field acceleration?
So he was caught from behind in that opening KO, but on his 43 yard run in the 1 st qt, he could have taking it to the outside ( Right) and should have tried to outrun the defender!
I m worried the extra weight might have slow him down a bit!
this situation reminds me of when clinton portis gained too much weight in the NFL and we saw his straight line speed suffer a bit! Just a thought or maybe im over reacting!

Advertisement
Uh, no. Duke wasn't caught from behind in he open field on either play. He weaving pretty much the entire way on the kickoff, and even ran horizontally.

On the long run, his own blockers got in the way.

My god.

Duke was never a burner. I'll never understand the amount of neck he got from people in the offseason on here. Comparing him to Barry Sanders. What the ****?

He is a very, very good player. I refuse to call him an elite college football running back until he has a big game against a top notch opponent. He has great moves, no doubt, good but not elite speed, and seems to get dinged up an awful lot. He has the POTENTIAL to be special, but he's not there yet.

This board overrates him. I'll probably get negged, but it's the truth. And I love Duke.

Last edited:
Duke was never a burner. I'll never understand the amount of neck he got from people in the offseason on here. Comparing him to Barry Sanders. What the ****?

He is a very, very good player. I refuse to call him an elite college football running back until he has a big game against a top notch opponent. He has great moves, no doubt, but doesn't have elite speed, and seems to get dinged up a lot.

I love Duke, but this board overrates him. I'll probably get negged, but it's the truth.

4.3 40

He is a very, very good player. I refuse to call him an elite college football running back until he has a big game against a top notch opponent. He has great moves, no doubt, but doesn't have elite speed, and seems to get dinged up a lot.

I love Duke, but this board overrates him. I'll probably get negged, but it's the truth.

4.3 40

That's not accurate. No way he runs that.

Advertisement
is it me or has duke lost a step in the open field acceleration?
So he was caught from behind in that opening KO, but on his 43 yard run in the 1 st qt, he could have taking it to the outside ( Right) and should have tried to outrun the defender!
I m worried the extra weight might have slow him down a bit!
this situation reminds me of when clinton portis gained too much weight in the NFL and we saw his straight line speed suffer a bit! Just a thought or maybe im over reacting!

Maybe? Kid ran 130 yards on that play. Lulz. Besides, if (insert player here) does a better job at the end of that play blocking the SSU guy, he scores. Relax.

Duke isn't a burner in the sense that someone like TB3 was, but he's plenty fast. He just doesn't get to show it off a lot. He's rarely going in a straight line. When he breaks a long one it's usually from a great cut or zigging and zagging through traffic, so it's probably a stamina thing cause he does so much work to get free. Think about his kick return against Bethune Cookman. He basically ran a straight line and completely torched everyone.

Long story short, he's the ******* man and there's not another running back in college football I'd rather have toting the rock for us.

Advertisement
Uh, no. Duke wasn't caught from behind in he open field on either play. He weaving pretty much the entire way on the kickoff, and even ran horizontally.

On the long run, his own blockers got in the way.

My god.

Say what you want, but duke's explosion is not the same this year.

Advertisement
Elite running backs are about the following:

- balance (duke has elite balance and feet)
- cutting (duke can cut on a dime, elite)
- vision (show me a kid with better vision)
- speed (show me 5 RBs who are faster)
- power (for his size, he's ridiculously powerful)

I fail to see how Duke Johnson is anything other than an elite, incredible talent.
-

Advertisement
He hasn't done **** versus a top notch defense. I'm not calling him elite until he does.

Maybe if we'd block worth a **** against an elite defense.

He had 45 yards rushing yards on around 5 ypc in the first half against Florida. Then it was a TFL party in the 2nd half when 2 defenders were in the backfield on every play.

Duke is a freak, but he can't phase through tacklers.

Got to be the only place in the world where a 94 yard flippin kickoff return get neg. Duke was ripping the gator to death until they went all 5 alarm fire on him. It is on the coaches that they didn't find way to make the gator pay for selling out like that. He does look like he gets nicked in every game, but notice he is always ready to come back in. I remember a RB who looked hurt after a lot of plays, only to torch the D shortly thereafter-- Jim Brown. Duke might not be THAT good, but remember after the gator beat him for 3 quarters, he drove the knife though their soft spot with that last TD. Get a little FB and TE action into our O and Duke will light up the nights against any D.

Advertisement
Back