Duke says. . .

You can always earn a degree. You can't always earn a living in the NFL. Sorry mom.

disagree with your perspective. Additionally this is the thinking amongst many ex college football players who took a shot at the NFL and now work at Walmart.

While I agree that he needs to earn his money while he can, he should not sacrifice his academics to do so. All players are one injury away from never playing again.

There is no arguing what I'm talking about when it comes to a RB. Just playing an extra year at Miami (even if he does so "injury free") is silly because of the wear and tear put on his body. It all comes down to being smart with your money. If he's smart and makes it a priority, he can always get his degree.

Advertisement
2nd Round IMO, his numbers will be good (season and combines) and I think teams will stress his intangibles. Unlike, many RB's he is a leader, competitor and inspires intensity in his teammates.

Starting this year for underclassmen, the draft committee only gives a 1st round, 2nd round, and later draft grade.so he wouldnt know if he was a projected 3rd or 7th.
But i dont think he should play too much kick returner, only in big situations later in games, so he doesnt get too worn out.

Advertisement
I'm just praying the pathetic, Bills, Jets, Patriots, Giants, and Browns don't draft him!

If he has a great year, I would encourage him to leave. 1 of my favorite canes ever. Nothing but love and admiration for duke. Go and get the Ms next year, u deserve it

Through 8 games he had 145 Carries for 920 Yards and 6 TDs

If healthy, over 13 games, he was on pace for 236 Carries for 1495 and 10 TDs

In the UNC game he played the 1st Quarter Only and was 8 for 83 (on pace for 300 Rushing Yards).

If he stays healthy, expect a big season.

I don't see him getting those type of carries this year. I see maybe 160 for 1250 10tds I see Yearby getting a good 60-70 carries and Gus/Tuck splitting 50.

Advertisement
He Gone. He needs to cash in on his ability as soon as possible. In today's NFL, your second contract is what gets you PAID. RB is no longer a position that has a lot of first-round value (unless your AP). Duke needs to get to the league asap, show them what he can do and hope some team believe$ in him.

Even as a selfish canes fan, I wouldn't want him ruin any of his future on a 4th year.. That story unnecessary bs

I agree that you should never leave college without at least a bachelors degree, I still would be shocked if he stayed. It'd be hard for me seeing the draft committee giving him a neither grade with his size and ability to be a receiving weapon.

And Duke won't leave if he's not projected to be a top 3 round pick. Bank

Top 3? Fine, but he is not a round 1 type of kid, imo. It will take an exceptional season to do that and I don't see him doing it. Look at how many 5-9, 205 RBs who are 4.4/4.5 guys get drafted in the first - there aren't very many at all.

I think Duke is going for 1600 yards rushing, 300 yards catching and 14 TDs and then who know how many yards he gets in the return game. If Duke stays healthy he's going to break Willis record for all purpose yardage. Knock on wood.

Gone. If healthy this season, it doesn't really make sense for him to add more miles. We thank him for his time here and appreciate anything he provided.

Yep, besides, I don't think he can improve his draft status too much if he has a good JR season. 5-9, 205 pound RBs typically aren't going to go super high in the draft.

im predicting 4th Round with a really good season. 2nd-3rd with awesome Season.

If healthy, I think he's a 2nd round back and could climb a little if there's a perfect team fit. There's an overreaction going on right now to devalue RBs, but Bishop Sankey was still drafted 54th overall. He's of similar size to Duke, more or less, had great times, but not the actual player - explosively or otherwise - that Duke can be.

You know who could make Duke a lot of money?

The 2014 NFL version of Gio Bernard. He was the 5th pick in the 2nd round at 5' 8" 202 without having freakish hands and a 4.53 40. He had solid quickness times at the Combine, but so should Duke. If Gio goes off this year, you'll see teams try to duplicate that success. Duke just needs to stay relatively healthy.

Funny you say about Gio Bernard going off.
I guess the Cincy Inquirer did an article about the football season and said the Bengals want Gio to get 300 touches this year. 230 rushes and near 70 catches

Advertisement
Gone. If healthy this season, it doesn't really make sense for him to add more miles. We thank him for his time here and appreciate anything he provided.

Yep, besides, I don't think he can improve his draft status too much if he has a good JR season. 5-9, 205 pound RBs typically aren't going to go super high in the draft.

You're crazy if you think Duke falls past the 3rd round! Once he dominates at the combine (Which he will DOMINATE) he will be a lock to be a top 60 pick. With an awesome season top 45 pick. Cant teach speed and vision, its something a RB either has or he doesn't, and DUKE has the stuff

What round did Danthony Thomas go?

You're crazy if you think Duke falls past the 3rd round! Once he dominates at the combine (Which he will DOMINATE) he will be a lock to be a top 60 pick. With an awesome season top 45 pick. Cant teach speed and vision, its something a RB either has or he doesn't, and DUKE has the stuff

What round did Danthony Thomas go?

DeAnthony Thomas was 174 pounds at the combine and ran a 4.50. So, there's that. They're also very different players. They have the same height and similar acceleration, though.

Advertisement
He averaged 6.3 yards per carry, even though he was the focal point of our offense. What can he average this year if the passing game becomes a weapon?

You can always earn a degree. You can't always earn a living in the NFL. Sorry mom.

disagree with your perspective. Additionally this is the thinking amongst many ex college football players who took a shot at the NFL and now work at Walmart.

While I agree that he needs to earn his money while he can, he should not sacrifice his academics to do so. All players are one injury away from never playing again.

Who are all of these former players working at Walmart?

Even if he leaves early without his degree, he still has the option to come back at anytime and finish his degree for free. Any former player who doesn't take advantage of that wouldn't be getting a good job regardless because they're stupid if they don't take advantage of that opportunity.

Duke will go if he remains healthy for the season and return if he doesn't. It's imperative that he stays healthy or his draft stock will be very low since that would be three or four years of mmissing time going all the way back to high school. NFL teams worry about measurables but injuries even more so.

Advertisement
Back