Duke says. . .

Long article but it began like this:

* Worried Johnson will depart UM after the season to turn pro early? Well, there's an obstacle: Mama Dukes (as his mother refers to herself). She told Johnson he can't leave without a degree.

"That's something my mom has been telling me since I was in elementary was to get a degree, because no matter what no one can take a degree from you," Johnson said. "So that's how she stands on this topic, is `your degree, your degree, because you will have a life after football.'"

Would he ever go against Mama Dukes' advice?

"Never," Johnson, a sports administration major, said. "I couldn't even consider it."

That doesn't mean Johnson won't opt to leave, though. He's in the process of finding out if he can earn enough credits to graduate in May.

"I'm not sure the exact number, how many classes I have to take, but it is possible," Johnson said. "I have to sit down with my adviser after the summer and talk to him about all the requirements. I think that would be best just in case I am given the option I can go (pro) if need be with my degree."

I still think he goes but good news

https://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1659762

Advertisement
i can't hate on him for leaving early. he has done more this program than anyone in years. he is a leader and a great kid.

He can leave early and set aside a part of his signing bonus to pay tuition for remaining portion of his degree.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Unless miami takes out an insurance policy like what winston and the kid from texas a&m did he should go. Schools can pay a portion of the premium with aid money each school has and should a player go down ala marquise lee from usc and his stock is affected he could collect on the difference.

Duke is so special I would hate to see him risk staying. As RB he has limited life in NFL. Gotta to love his solution. Listen to mom and get the money--just gonna graduate early. Love this kid. Mom is right but so is leaving early. I have confidence in Duke to do both. Then after his NFL career, he can come home and run for office. I think the real reason that basketball player ran home to Ohio is because he never be bigger than Duke. Ok, got a little bit of a man crush on Duke.

Advertisement
I'm not sure if UM has online courses in his major, but Duke can always earn a degree online. However, the problem with that is when a guy becomes a professional athlete, they have to learn how to be a professional first.

In college, you're allotted time to study for classes because you're considered a student first and an athlete second. I think that's why Momma Dukes want Duke to get his degree now instead of later. I don't blame her one bit.

You can always earn a degree. You can't always earn a living in the NFL. Sorry mom.

disagree with your perspective. Additionally this is the thinking amongst many ex college football players who took a shot at the NFL and now work at Walmart.

While I agree that he needs to earn his money while he can, he should not sacrifice his academics to do so. All players are one injury away from never playing again.

Unless miami takes out an insurance policy like what winston and the kid from texas a&m did he should go. Schools can pay a portion of the premium with aid money each school has and should a player go down ala marquise lee from usc and his stock is affected he could collect on the difference.

I thought the player needs to pay for the policy.

Advertisement
Gone. If healthy this season, it doesn't really make sense for him to add more miles. We thank him for his time here and appreciate anything he provided.

Wait until Rosenhaus shows Mama Duke one of these.

266.jpg

Advertisement
I want to see what kind of season he has...I am really excited for him to have a break out year.

The concern I would have is yes your gonna get drafted but where and what round. Last year
the top RB was not taken until the 2nd round i believe...

I'm not sure if UM has online courses in his major, but Duke can always earn a degree online. However, the problem with that is when a guy becomes a professional athlete, they have to learn how to be a professional first.

In college, you're allotted time to study for classes because you're considered a student first and an athlete second. I think that's why Momma Dukes want Duke to get his degree now instead of later. I don't blame her one bit.

I don't think Duke's learning curve is the same as most entering the NFL ranks....I think he will fall back on his tremendous upbringing and get right to work...

UM

Advertisement
Back