Duke Johnson's draft stock

I agree Duke is probably the 3rd best RB in this draft, But I don't think he will be taken 3rd. I think the highest he gets drafted is in the 2nd round by the 49ers or Colts. But it is most likely that he goes in the 3rd round. I don't see how he could last past the third round though. Wouldn't be surprised to see Coleman, Ajayi, or Abdullah go before him, even though it'd be a mistake.

Ranges I expect our guys to go in:
Flowers 9-32. (1st rounder)
Dorsett 26-64. (Late 1st-2nd)
Perryman 30-79. (2nd Round)
Walford 58-99. (3rd Round)
Duke 36-97. (Late 2nd-3rd)
Chickillo 77-135. (3rd-4th)
Gunter (5th-7th)
Feliciano (6th-UFA)
McDermott(6-UFA)

Pretty spot on. I have Walford going before Duke though- both in the 3rd.

Advertisement
There's Gurley well above the rest if healthy and back to form come next fall. After him Gorden is the clear number two. After those two, it's a toss up for the next four. I've personally held AA above him, but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

I hope my Broncos stay away from him. Don't want him hopping up with a gimp every 10 yard run known to man and sitting out on a crucial drive because he's a little dinged.

There's Gurley well above the rest if healthy and back to form come next fall. After him Gorden is the clear number two. After those two, it's a toss up for the next four. I've personally held AA above him, but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Color me shocked that you, as an obvious ND fan from your grassy days, have little love for a Hurricane player.

Calling it now.

Regardless of where drafted--

Gurley- will be another Trent Richardson. Have some flare his first year and then it's a rap. RBs in the past that come from UGA suck.

Gordon- BUST.. When has a WISC RB ever done anything in the NFL? Ron Dayne had video game numbers. Ball did as well.

DUKE- his game translates the best. Can block, run, catch. You don't become UMs all time RB in less then 2.5 seasons for no reason. Last but not least-- he's a MIAMI guy. If he stays healthy, he'll flourish.

Andulah- trash

Coleman- trash

Ajayji- Boise trash

Advertisement

Color me shocked that you, as an obvious ND fan from your grassy days, have little love for a Hurricane player.

Domer fan, haha....uninformed idiot is all I have to say. Still on Grassy, same name and the same name I've had on every football website I've ever been on, what's your excuse? That same Grassy, been to many a tailgate at home and on the road with guys from there and splinter sites, what about you?

Sorry, I just see AA as the better back as well as Gurley and Gorden. I suppose you see it differently, to which you have every right to.

Cane shades on all of yall. Its hilarious that you all base judgement on a school instead of a players talent. Rbs in the league are becoming a thing of the past. To play that postion now is different from 4-5 years ago. Different then the college level as well. I do believe duke is the best back to do that but no denying that gordon and gurley have the talent to be nice in the nfl.

I see Duke as the third best running back behind Gordon and Gurley because of his well roundedness of his game, he could return kicks in the league, slide out in the slot a lot, be on the field more than 3 downs but still could be a compliment back to another RB in the league. I feel he'll at the very least end up the second best pro amongst this year's RB class, I just feel his game is well rounded enough, he'll probably make his money shakin defenders out of their shoes Barry Sanders style and just avoiding getting hit as much as possible to prolong his career but plowing over mfs occasionally bc he's Duke Johnson, he fights for every yard. Gordon or Gurley could start as 1's. Duke will have to start as a 2. But he may be too good to keep off the field down the road. I can't wait to see him blow up in the pros. Maybe he'll sneak into the end of the first round. Anything is possible.

how many kicks did he return for TDs? I don't recall any, certainly not a lot of them.

If he did not dominate returning kicks in college then why would he have success at it in the pros. He does not have the speed to be a great returner in the NFL.

Advertisement
I see Duke as the third best running back behind Gordon and Gurley because of his well roundedness of his game, he could return kicks in the league, slide out in the slot a lot, be on the field more than 3 downs but still could be a compliment back to another RB in the league. I feel he'll at the very least end up the second best pro amongst this year's RB class, I just feel his game is well rounded enough, he'll probably make his money shakin defenders out of their shoes Barry Sanders style and just avoiding getting hit as much as possible to prolong his career but plowing over mfs occasionally bc he's Duke Johnson, he fights for every yard. Gordon or Gurley could start as 1's. Duke will have to start as a 2. But he may be too good to keep off the field down the road. I can't wait to see him blow up in the pros. Maybe he'll sneak into the end of the first round. Anything is possible.

how many kicks did he return for TDs? I don't recall any, certainly not a lot of them.

If he did not dominate returning kicks in college then why would he have success at it in the pros. He does not have the speed to be a great returner in the NFL.

He had the same amount of kick return td's in 1 yr, that devin Hester had in 3 yrs.

He had the same amount of kick return td's in 1 yr, that devin Hester had in 3 yrs.

i just looked up Hester's stats and stand corrected. that is shocking, particularly given that in his debut against UF he returned the opening kick for a TD.

That said, duke is not anywhere near the return guy Devin was. Just not the same first step and and quickness to top end speed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
His fumbles and clique leadership cost us about 4 games last year although, admittedly, it's tough to quantity his clique impact on losses. It took some very complex math that might be beyond the scope of this board for me to arrive at that figure.

If he gets those two areas cleaned up he's the best player in the draft, and the second best isn't really all that close.

Please take the board through the math you used to arrive at the impact of his clique leadership.

Unknown-1.jpeg
His fumbles and clique leadership cost us about 4 games last year although, admittedly, it's tough to quantity his clique impact on losses. It took some very complex math that might be beyond the scope of this board for me to arrive at that figure.

If he gets those two areas cleaned up he's the best player in the draft, and the second best isn't really all that close.

Please take the board through the math you used to arrive at the impact of his clique leadership.

Advertisement
This is the deepest RB class in a while - so that hurts Duke's stock.

Some team's gonna pull the trigger on him in the 2nd. He's too much of a weapon to slip into the 3rd IMO

Fumbles is X
Clique leadership is Y
Smiles produced is Z

Z % Y to the 3rd €€ X over ¥ multiples of X plus Z is equivalent to the impact of Y on overall wins and losses.

Advertisement
Back