Duke Johnson interview

Advertisement
One of my all time favorites Canes.
Kid was an absolute dog and dynamic as anyone who ever played here IMO. Golden can go to ****. The fact that he didn’t sniff a HC job is all you need to know. Fat fvxk
As much as I dislike Golden for the fraud he is, and also being responsible for the worst defenses Miami put on the field, I don't think he mishandled Duke. Did he mismanage/handle other players such as Chick, absolutely. Duke was clearly our best player. I thought he was one of the few players in the Golden era that was put in position to succeed. Maybe, I am wrong here. Agree with you that Golden can go to ****, just not sure exactly why he is blamed for Duke's success, or lack there of, in the NFL.

Blame Golden but blame the absolute incompetence from the administration more.

Golden is an interesting coach in terms of what it meant for the program. UM had gone with 3 internal hires in a row over a decade plus - Butch (wildly successful), Coker (initially successful), then Shannon (complete flop). Then for the first time UM decided to do an actual coaching search, but the budget was limited to basically G5 HCs or P5 coordinators. At the same time I think there were some hints from the ncaa that trouble was brewing so that may have winnowed down the options even more.

Golden flopped in large part because he was too hard headed to change his defensive philosophy. He wanted a BIG10 style 3-4 defense, everyone said he was a fool for not sticking with UMs traditional 4-3 (ironically Richts first choice for DC, Aranda, was also a 3-4 guy). Yet the lesson the UM admin took was "Never hire a guy without program connections ever again."

Advertisement
Imagine 4 guys in 2012 and that’s considered a solid class? That’s a terrible class when u just counting on four guys and no trench warfare involved. I hated the way we recruited for years I always liked some but when I saw OSU Bama etc I was like those are true classes.
For sure, but I meant 4 dudes that make it to their 2nd NFL contract. That’s what, the top 2% of D1 college athletes? You’d think if you have around 4 of those in each class you should win at least 9 games every year. We fell way short of that. Not to mention all the other busts we had. No depth and poor coaching has screwed us for years.

For sure, but I meant 4 dudes that make it to their 2nd NFL contract. That’s what, the top 2% of D1 college athletes? You’d think if you have around 4 of those in each class you should win at least 9 games every year. We fell way short of that. Not to mention all the other busts we had. No depth and poor coaching has screwed us for years.
U need them in the trenches to win games. Skill guys are cool and all but needed more trench guys. Jenkins looks like the best of that bunch dude is balling

As much as I dislike Golden for the fraud he is, and also being responsible for the worst defenses Miami put on the field, I don't think he mishandled Duke. Did he mismanage/handle other players such as Chick, absolutely. Duke was clearly our best player. I thought he was one of the few players in the Golden era that was put in position to succeed. Maybe, I am wrong here. Agree with you that Golden can go to ****, just not sure exactly why he is blamed for Duke's success, or lack there of, in the NFL.
Duke had success in the nfl just never really got the opportunity to be a lead back. He was one of the best receiving backs. Had at least 400 yards or more receiving 5 years in a row

Advertisement
Duke had success in the nfl just never really got the opportunity to be a lead back. He was one of the best receiving backs. Had at least 400 yards or more receiving 5 years in a row
True, Duke was a quality back that never really got the opportunity to be the feature back. Had a decent NFL career, but not as successful as most of us thought when he was drafted. The popular opinion on here is that it was Golden's fault for how Duke's NFL career transpired. Golden is a scumbag for many reasons, but I don't blame him for Duke's NFL life. I blame the Cleveland Browns for wasting his best years.

Advertisement
Advertisement
When? No team he was on ever gave him that chance. Just look at the number of carries he got and that will tell you

He was the featured back in Houston for 3 straight games in November of 2020, & was hella ineffective w/ D Watson as QB. He lost his role.

He was the featured back for Miami during the 2021 season for 4 straight games.

Duke was a better 3rd Down Back vs. an every down back at the next level. He had a couple of big games for Miami, but it was inconsistent. His best years came as a 3rd down back role in Cleveland.

He definitely got several opportunities to be the lead back. Smh
Cleveland tried to make him the featured back but, and maybe not his fault entirely because their team and line were TRASH, but he just wasn’t that type of guy

Maybe if he had been drafted by someone else it could have been a little different but not night and day imo

Cleveland tried to make him the featured back but, and maybe not his fault entirely because their team and line were TRASH, but he just wasn’t that type of guy

Maybe if he had been drafted by someone else it could have been a little different but not night and day imo

Exactly; his first yr he was practically splitting carries w/ Crowell. Duke did nothing to set himself apart, but he found a cool role as a 3rd down back. He real opportunity came in Houston, & again, didn’t seize the opportunity.

I just hate revisionism. Duke is legit one of my all time favorite Canes. When he committed here, I promise u I gave ‘87 MJ a run for his $$ for my vert. Lol. I thought Cleveland got a steal w/ him as a 3rd rounder. At the end, Duke wasn’t a featured back not due to opportunities, but due to being mostly ineffective in that role when presented. He was a solid role guy, & there’s nothing wrong w/ that. Great player here, marginal player at the next level where he made $$.

Considering he came back for his senior year and they won the PAC12 and the Rose bowl, pretty sure Herbert wouldn’t trash Mario…
I didn't say he would trash the caveman, but, but he might say he didn't come out of a real QB friendly system.

You getting off Chronochallengebal's jock after next year's seven win season?

Advertisement
Back