Duke Game Primer...ACC Officiating Bias Proven

CaneFan79

Senior
Duke game tommorrow and last year's horribly officiated game AGAINST Miami (PI on an interception?!?...Never mind, the same penalty was called against Miami again this year!) made me want to bring to light a 2015 paper from The MIT Sloan School of Management on the Referee Bias issue. It's written by two reseachers who would definitely not be biased towards the 'Canes; one is from the other Miami (you know, the one that touts itself as a "Public Ivy" despite their 65% admission rate) and the other from Felonies Smothered University. Indeed, they crack on UM's "laundry list of impermissible benefits" in Paragraph 2. But play particular attention to Paras 4 & 5 and the Conclusions in Para 6:

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SSAC15-RP-Poster-Paper-Referee-Analytics.pdf

Yes, its not a Doctoral Dissertation, but to dispute ACC Ref bias (especially by a Tobacco Road partisan) is being intellectually dishonest (no pun intended UNC).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Duke is done for the season. There is no benefiting the ACC by helping Duke win tomorrow. It'll be incompetent but fair.

Duke is done for the season. There is no benefiting the ACC by helping Duke win tomorrow. It'll be incompetent but fair.

From the referenced study:

"Particularly given the betting line bias of the ACC in-conference, there is reason to believe that the ACC handicaps its stronger teams despite the financial incentives to do the opposite. Why does the ACC engage in this behavior and have these biases among officials? One possible explanation is the reputation of the ACC as a basketball conference with its four founding member North Carolina institutions (Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, and NC State) yielding the most political influence; internal ACC power may be threatened by non-founding schools with strong football that drive much of its revenue."

You're being logical, The ACC, headed by a commissioner (John Swofford) who: A) Is from NC B) Played Football at UNC, C) Hired ACC Officiating Head Dennis Hennigan and can fire Dennis Hennigan, isn't.

The $EC's former comish, Mike Slive, is an Upstate New Yorker and had no existing biases; he made sure the most competitive team for a particular year got the calls they need (Think Ole' Miss DT who got a 15 yard Personnel Foul call against him when the UF OT player threw him to the ground when UF failed to convert on a 4th down during their last NC run).

The study even brings this up: "...former National Football League (NFL) referee Mike Pereira accusing the SEC of nefarious game-rigging for its top performing teams." Slive knew how to build a broad base of teams who would be in the national conversation. Swofford doesn't care about that, he has a confirmation bias blind spot and nobody in the ACC challenges him on it.

Miami's huge misfortune in joining the ACC was being placed in the same division as Duke and UNC.

Last edited:
Miami's huge misfortune in joining the ACC was being placed in the same division as Duke and UNC.

Miami's huge misfortune is self-imposed. Our access to talent should never allow that any kind of bias would affect our standing in the ACC coastal. Beat all the teams and the refs, too. Be so good they need us for ratings and money.

Advertisement
Penalty Yards Per Game:

#105 NC
#110 Miami
#118 NC St.

Looks pretty close...

Just throwing numbers out without context is what the ACC expects you to do; they learned it from basketball.

Watch a Duke or UNC basketball game vs. a Non-tobacco road opponent. You will find the TRs will get an inordinate amount of ticy-tac non-scoring fouls called on them in the first half. However, when the "And 1s" come in the second half, it will be to the TRs favor. After the game, the score sheet will have a like number of fouls, but the timing and context of those fouls will be much different.

Last edited:

Miami's huge misfortune is self-imposed. Our access to talent should never allow that any kind of bias would affect our standing in the ACC coastal. Beat all the teams and the refs, too. Be so good they need us for ratings and money.

"You can't leave it in the officials' hands."

-James William Johnson

I really value your opinion on CIS, but I fear the days of being so dominant with local talent are long gone. People of Influence (POI), be it parents, coaches, pastors, etc. are tuned into how much a 17 year old can be sucked back into old habits via social media these days. "The []_[]" documentary showed how a small geographical change back then could be significant, because phones were landlines and you had to be near one to answer it and be told something. Totally different today; near instantaneous video delivered to our players, videos of guys with your girl, people bullying your little brother/sister, etc. It's easy to get in the car and try to "right things" 25 minutes away. Again, POIs know this and many are steering their pride and joy to somewhere a lot farther away. Blame technology if you will, but the "get away" factor is real.

The flip side is Richt knows the Southeast and a whole lot of POIs want to get their pride and joy out of Atlanta, Birmingham, Mongomery and Nashville. It's great that a student athlete wants to stay in the Miami area and play, but relying on it is shortsighted.

It's 2016 and Miami needs every advantage possible; working with other schools to get Swofford removed and ACC headquarters moved out of North Carolina (Heck, use the bathroom law) is imperative for Miami to get an even break...The numbers in the study don't lie.

Advertisement

I really value your opinion on CIS, but I fear the days of being so dominant with local talent are long gone. People of Influence (POI), be it parents, coaches, pastors, etc. are tuned into how much a 17 year old can be sucked back into old habits via social media these days. "The []_[]" documentary showed how a small geographical change back then could be significant, because phones were landlines and you had to be near one to answer it and be told something. Totally different today; near instantaneous video delivered to our players, videos of guys with your girl, people bullying your little brother/sister, etc. It's easy to get in the car and try to "right things" 25 minutes away. Again, POIs know this and many are steering their pride and joy to somewhere a lot farther away. Blame technology if you will, but the "get away" factor is real.

The flip side is Richt knows the Southeast and a whole lot of POIs want to get their pride and joy out of Atlanta, Birmingham, Mongomery and Nashville. It's great that a student athlete wants to stay in the Miami area and play, but relying on it is shortsighted.

It's 2016 and Miami needs every advantage possible; working with other schools to get Swofford removed and ACC headquarters moved out of North Carolina (Heck, use the bathroom law) is imperative for Miami to get an even break...The numbers in the study don't lie.

I don't know about "so dominant," but the biggest competitive advantage we can gain is from within. We lost the FSU game because of our own doing. We lost the UNC game because of our own doing. We lost the ND game because of our own doing. I don't doubt for a second there's an inherent bias in officiating. I've watched more holding this year than ever before. Wait till next year when our entire front 7 is back and better.

My point is you beat that with aggression. Our defense is better because, though oversimplification, we rather go down swinging now. We need the same on offense and we'll see the refs' bias kept to a particular limited effect.

Think of it like basketball, which I consider as the sport most likely affected by officiating. You know how you beat that bias? 3PTers. Refs can't stop teams from bombing the opponent.

I don't know about "so dominant," but the biggest competitive advantage we can gain is from within. We lost the FSU game because of our own doing. We lost the UNC game because of our own doing. We lost the ND game because of our own doing. I don't doubt for a second there's an inherent bias in officiating. I've watched more holding this year than ever before. Wait till next year when our entire front 7 is back and better.

My point is you beat that with aggression. Our defense is better because, though oversimplification, we rather go down swinging now. We need the same on offense and we'll see the refs' bias kept to a particular limited effect.

Think of it like basketball, which I consider as the sport most likely affected by officiating. You know how you beat that bias? 3PTers. Refs can't stop teams from bombing the opponent.

So it boils down to the players being able to do what they did to Pitt a couple of weeks back...Or your peer opponent missing FGs. Don't get me wrong, we are on the same page: I want Miami to be flawless in recruiting, staffing, preparation, and game day execution. But that doesn't mean not trying to root out colusion and corruption in the ACC. Throw out the recent partisan election result; from the right and the left, the current mood in America is to root out institutional biases and bring transparancy. Say Frenk uses some Carlos Slim-donated money to hold an ACC Presidents retreat in cold January or February in Coral Gables. Bring up the biases and how Swofford's own biases are costing the ACC $$$$...In national perception, the conference is two 'Bo's leaving (lots of jobs open) from a major downgrade in prestige under Carolina John. That is no way to compete with the BIG or $EC.

All phases of the game in my context means including all the dirty political infighting the university needs to do for it's benefit. You can crucify me for saying Donna did do some good things for the university, but no argument here that her athletic and hospital actions were horrific. Frenk needs to lead the majority of ACC schools into demanding the end to collusion and corruption which exists in the conference leadership offices.

Last edited:

This! In all fairness it's what the ACC thought they were getting when they got Miami and we haven't really held up our end of the bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't see the logic in the ACC bringing in Miami primarily as a football school and then telling the officials to **** us on calls. It doesn't make sense for them financially. We're their biggest, or at least were their biggest, football name. Still, we're the most polarizing. We bring the ratings. So what benefit does it give them for us not to be an ACC-contender in football year-in and year-out?

Advertisement
Gotta agree here, that FSU game ****ed me off, i saw so many BS calls, and lets not forget the no holding calls called on FSU that were on big plays mind you, i get bad calls happen it seems to happen to us more than anyone

But i do agree with lu we have to be good enough to win spite that sh¡t

Advertisement
In the Va Tech vs Clemson, ACC Championship game, watch the phantom calls against Va Tech.

The refs in the ACC are terrible.

You guys kill me with this "You can't leave it in the officials hands". If you get 2 TD's and 2 interceptions called back from penalties the officials made up, you really think you deserve to lose for not overcoming that? It's not an excuse when you literally have to play 2 teams, it's a FACT that you're going up against the odds. You can say "don't leave it in their hands" all you want, but anybody can lose when the refs are against them.

I just don't see the logic in the ACC bringing in Miami primarily as a football school and then telling the officials to **** us on calls. It doesn't make sense for them financially. We're their biggest, or at least were their biggest, football name. Still, we're the most polarizing. We bring the ratings. So what benefit does it give them for us not to be an ACC-contender in football year-in and year-out?

Again, it's not logic, it's the All Carolina Conference. Swofford is no Slive, he couldn't market sports cars to divorced rich guys in their 40s/50s. Speaking of selling cars, what brands/brand ambassadors does he have ready when the "Bo's" go?

Look at Delaney in the BIG. Past Ego Urbie and ESPN's darling, Harbaugh, he has a great story with James Franklin and Pedo St, plus Dantanio (down year, but will be back) MSU, Mike Riley and the Huskers, plus Chryst at UW and even a probably bowl eligible Fitzgerald/Northwestern. Deep branding. New $EC comish Sankey has, beyond the obvious (Saban/Tide), Malzahn and War Eagle, Freeze and the Rebs, and whomever LSU gets as a splash hire. Yes, the East is weak on branding, but if Jones and the Chump keep failing, $$$ will be spent to build it back up.

Swofford has what?? Evel Petrino Knievel and L'Ville?!? The guy with the hat name at his beloved Basketball school Alma Mater? The guy at the other basketball school Peyton works with on QB'ing but doesn't anymore 'cause he is retired? Heck, Swofford tried to sell Beamer and VT, but Frank and Beamer Ball epitomized snooze.

Swofford won't do what's best for the conference, only what is best for him and his Tobacco Road cronies. Maryland leaving should have been a warning sign, especially to the non-Southern schools (BC, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt). The Big 12's deferral on expansion means they may have bigger fish to catch (the PAC 12 has no exit fee, only the (negotiable) grant of broadcast rights) like the Colorado schools or other PAC 12 targets.

Swofford's bias results in a failure to provide quality, "Brand Name," inventory to broadcasters and his personal "All Cr@cker Conferance" may be the next Big East if there is no positive action to remove him.

Last edited:
You guys kill me with this "You can't leave it in the officials hands". If you get 2 TD's and 2 interceptions called back from penalties the officials made up, you really think you deserve to lose for not overcoming that? It's not an excuse when you literally have to play 2 teams, it's a FACT that you're going up against the odds. You can say "don't leave it in their hands" all you want, but anybody can lose when the refs are against them.
So what are you going to do about it? Just be better at what you can control. We didn't lose to ND, FSU or UNC because of the refs. They didn't help us, but we have plenty of blame to own.

Advertisement
Back