DT Jared Goldwire update

View as article
Miami needs to take 3 DTs in this class....IMO. The top teams have recruited 2-3 big timers every year while Miami only had one 3* last cycle...

Advertisement
Seems extremely peculiar how given the current situation at Miami having the #1DL coach in the nation, running an aggressive downhill style of defense where the DTs are asked to disrupt and make big plays behind the LOS and being a program that is clearly on the rise having won 10 games for the first time since 03 with a shot at 11 in the Orange Bowl. We have Norton and McIntosh who are possibly leaving early but are here one more year max.

Considering all of the above factors, we should have DTs busting down our door trying to get in. I don't get it. I'm sure we will end up with 3 excellent prospects but it seems that it should be much easier that what it seems to be currently. Anyone have a theory on this?

Because it has nothing to do with that. Doesn't anyone remember the recruiting of guys like Marvin Austin to UNC & Robert Nkemdiche to Ole Miss. The DT game is the premium money bag game in college football. If you don't hand em out, you don't have a shot at the top prospects.

It seems like Kool likes projects or small target recruits. It's all he's known having only coached at Toledo and Mizzou. Maybe he'd rather take a low maintenance personality with a high motor and good measurables over someone who many think is close to a finished product.

DJ Johnson and Joe Jackson were the most regarded recruits he's gotten and both had a fairly quiet recruiting process. I know there was some talk of Nesta taking visits but I think that was just a product of people freaking out over nothing. Not a lot of drama amongst DL recruits.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have no worries about what the DL will look like next year. Neither should you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only guys Kool "is on the hook for" as for his evaluations are Garvin, DJ (even thought DJJ contacted Miami) and Ford. Soon to be added to that list - Nesta.

Tyreic Martin as well

Miami needs to take 3 DTs in this class....IMO. The top teams have recruited 2-3 big timers every year while Miami only had one 3* last cycle...

Only team i can remember having 4 or more 4 stars at dt in a class was lsu in 2016 when they signed glen Logan and all of those other guys. It doesn’t happen often

Like that matters, norton and mcintosh were 3 stars and they were our best dts since wilfork probably....

Advertisement
Y’all worry about dt recruting too much. Kool develops his guys regardless. Results speak for itself and he has arguably the best dt in the country committed right now... y’all got to get out of this fantasy of landing 3 elite dt recruits in a class. It’s not going to happen. Maybe you can get 2 but that’s about it.

Kool got multiple 5 stars at mizzou (terry Beckner, Sheldon Richardson)

We're worried because of quality depth. Not every single DT that Kool comes across goes onto the NFL. Tyreic Martin wasn't even in the rotation this year after 2 years in the program. Landing multiple 5 stars and high 4 stars likely won't happen. But to criticize fans for being a bit concerned is irrational.

Y’all worry about dt recruting too much. Kool develops his guys regardless. Results speak for itself and he has arguably the best dt in the country committed right now... y’all got to get out of this fantasy of landing 3 elite dt recruits in a class. It’s not going to happen. Maybe you can get 2 but that’s about it.

We're worried because of quality depth. Not every single DT that Kool comes across goes onto the NFL. Tyreic Martin wasn't even in the rotation this year after 2 years in the program. Landing multiple 5 stars and high 4 stars likely won't happen. But to criticize fans for being a bit concerned is irrational.

You are listing martin, who is counting on him beyond being a 6th or 7th option at best at dt?
Willis - plenty of experience
Bethel- plenty of experience
Ford- some experience
Silvera- arguably the best dt in the country (19 tfls 15 sacks as a senior)
Goldwire-6’7 300 pound athletic juco dt
Carson- 6’5 285 in the mold of RJ McIntosh
Fines
And the big dends who can move inside on certain downs

You are listing martin, who is counting on him beyond being a 6th or 7th option at best at dt?
Ford- some experience
Fines

Definitely will not be a strength of the team next year. Hoping someone stays.

Losing Norton is going to be a big blow because we don't have a NT ready to play that role currently on the roster. We have some guys, but to be a NC team, you really need an outstanding rock in the middle. Even Norton was merely above average this year.

There is always the chance of taking a grad transfer at the position as well. That's becoming like a free agent market in pro sports.

Advertisement
Y’all just going to have to trust coach kools development skills which is the best in the country. Stop worrying so much

Only team i can remember having 4 or more 4 stars at dt in a class was lsu in 2016 when they signed glen Logan and all of those other guys. It doesn’t happen often
I'm talking consecutive classes.....Miami hasn't recruited at the same level as bama, osu, Clemson etc....don't get me wrong.... I'm with getting a few Kool specials.....just believe Miami needs to go after the best of the best to beef up the position that hasn't been recruited at the highest level...

It seems like Kool likes projects or small target recruits. It's all he's known having only coached at Toledo and Mizzou. Maybe he'd rather take a low maintenance personality with a high motor and good measurables over someone who many think is close to a finished product.

DJ Johnson and Joe Jackson were the most regarded recruits he's gotten and both had a fairly quiet recruiting process. I know there was some talk of Nesta taking visits but I think that was just a product of people freaking out over nothing. Not a lot of drama amongst DL recruits.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have no worries about what the DL will look like next year. Neither should you.

DJ did not have a quiet recruitment lol...he took his visits and there were countless rumors about him and a few west coast schools.

The guy is a great coach but you're just rewriting history to make his recruiting this year look better. He went after highly sought after guys (Vincent, Trout, Davis, etc.) but got beat out. He's still after Thompson who is a top 100 prospect but he appears to be a long shot as well.

Given his credentials, the production on the field, and the school he's recruiting for, I'd say his recruiting here so far has been underwhelming: Jackson was already committed prior to his arrival, Johnson apparently has Cane family and actually contacted him, and Silvera/Garvin just needed offers.

With the very likely possibility of losing the top 3 DT's on the team this year, a three man class including Goldwire (coming off knee injury; competing against Louisville, Oregon State) and Carson (project) isn't the amazing haul some are trying to make it seem.

Last edited:

Ford- some experience
Fines

Willis has 1 and a half years of experience over 4 years. Although great potential, he hasn't been consistent with multiple suspensions under his belt. Many are concerned.

Bethel's probably our most consistent DT coming back next year.

Ford played in garbage time this year. He's going to need to be relied on heavily next year with Norton and McIntosh.

Silvera, although has a ton of potential is a true freshman DT. Counting on true freshman for heavy production in college at DT is fool hardy, which is why many have voiced the need for JUCO DTs to plug in and play.

Goldwire hasn't even committed to Miami (yet, hopefully). You can't count on him until a commit's coming.

According to 247, Carson's at 6'5 260 lbs. right now, and I don't see him as an EE. So this may be someone that's likely to RS. Also, if we're going to compare him to RJ McIntosh, which you could do since they had the same body type coming out of HS - you'd see that McIntosh played sparingly in his freshman year.

Fines is the Ryan Mayes equivalent at DT. He's just a body. He's not going to do anything. He's a JAG. Counting him as PRODUCTIVE depth is foolish.

So again, you have 4 quality DTs in Bethel, Willis, Ford and Silvera (True Freshman). Please analyze this right now and explain to me how you don't see anything wrong here or potential disaster with one injury.

Advertisement

Ford- some experience
Fines

Exactly. We'll have more than enough bodies. It'll be about development and we all know Kool is the best in the nation for that. I ain't worried about nothin.

Losing Norton is going to be a big blow because we don't have a NT ready to play that role currently on the roster. We have some guys, but to be a NC team, you really need an outstanding rock in the middle. Even Norton was merely above average this year.

There is always the chance of taking a grad transfer at the position as well. That's becoming like a free agent market in pro sports.

I agree. Now, if we can convince Norton to come back, our DT depth doesn't look as barren as it's projected to at this present moment.

Ford- some experience
Fines

Exactly. We'll have more than enough bodies. It'll be about development and we all know Kool is the best in the nation for that. I ain't worried about nothin.

Yea he will get the best out of what's on the roster.....just think what he can do with kids like Nesta and Thompson tho?

Advertisement

DJ did not have a quiet recruitment lol...he took his visits and there were countless rumors about him and a few west coast schools.

The guy is a great coach but you're just rewriting history to make his recruiting this year look better. He went after highly sought after guys (Vincent, Trout, Davis, etc.) but got beat out. He's still after Thompson who is a top 100 prospect but he appears to be a long shot as well.

Given his credentials, the production on the field, and the school he's recruiting for, I'd say his recruiting here so far has been underwhelming: Jackson was already committed prior to his arrival, Johnson apparently has Cane family and actually contacted him, and Silvera/Garvin just needed offers.

With the very likely possibility of losing the top 3 DT's on the team this year, a three man class including Goldwire (coming off knee injury; competing against Louisville, Oregon State) and Carson (project) isn't the amazing haul some are trying to make it seem.

The kid took some visits. Kool flew out and locked him up. I consider that a pretty quiet recruiting process when you compare it to a lot of the other big time DL prospects we've gone after. It seems like you just like to critique Kool by saying he's recruiting a bunch of nobodies and discredit any of the big time recruits by saying they would have come here even if we didn't have Kool.

Deep breaths homie. We good.

The kid took some visits. Kool flew out and locked him up. I consider that a pretty quiet recruiting process when you compare it to a lot of the other big time DL prospects we've gone after. It seems like you just like to critique Kool by saying he's recruiting a bunch of nobodies and discredit any of the big time recruits by saying they would have come here even if we didn't have Kool.

Didn't Kool land Sheldon Richardson? That wasn't a quiet recruitment

Didn't Kool land Sheldon Richardson? That wasn't a quiet recruitment

Yea. He was committed to Mizzou out of High School, had to go Juco in Cali, committed to USC while out there, and then decided to pick Mizzou in the end.

Advertisement
Back