DT Isaiah Hastings (commits to Mizz 1.15.24)

Toledo worries me
Man, I was in one of those smaller Ohio towns once, not even sure which one, but I would guess they are all alike: boring as ****. I believe it was Dayton. I was heading out west, moving to California, so it was probably on I-70. I think it's Dayton, but it might have been Akron. Probably not Toledo and I know it wasn't Youngstown. I've been to Columbus, I had a friend there. Flew to see him, and we drove from there to Morgantown for a UM game. (Vinnie, Irvin, and the gang.)

I'll bet the city I was in--and I know it wasn't Columbus, because i went there later and it seemed a bit more advanced--was just like the other ones (Toledo, Akron, whatever). They should just shove those three cities together, all in one place, dig a huge, and I mean huge, pit, fill it with water, say it's the beach, build some old Art Deco hotels, fly in some topless models. and make it exciting.

I'm not too worried about Toledo...although I wonder why he's even interested in Toledo. He probably went there and thought it was cool since he never saw anything else outside of Canada. They probably told him Toledo was like the rest of the country and was every bit as exciting as South Beach or L.A.

Advertisement
Most Canadians I know would have jumped at the chance to go to college in Miami. They're the third biggest contingent of snowbirds after Greater New York and Greater Boston. Our problem isn't attracting them down to South Florida, it's identifying talent and projecting their development from so far away. Kehoe specials flamed out a lot, too. But if we believe we like a Canadian kid, we have just as much a chance as the Big schools if not better.
Which of his specials flamed out? I can only remember the three Canadians as Sherko, Mercier and Romberg. I probably forgot the flameouts. A lot of his flameouts were American.

Highsmith isn’t a Canadian kid.
Yes, he is. And no, he's not.

He's American, a Floridian, as I said. He was born in Florida. I believe his father, Walter went to FAMU. Over the years, his father, Walter, played in the NFL (Broncos, i believe) and then in Montreal for the Alouettes. Alonzo spent part of his life growing up in Montreal, and he was introduced to playing football in Montreal. So in that sense, he's Canadian, but not ethnically Canadian.

As I said, his experience playing football in Canada as a kid apparently had a significant impact on him.

The following article suggests his experience in Canadian youth football was significant for him. His team went undefeated five years in a row.

https://playfootball.nfl.com/discov...ball-you-rely-on-everybody-every-single-play/

I remember a story of a WR for Syracuse from Canada, Tommy Kane. Apparently Alonzo and Kane were pretty friendly and Alonzo was reportedly ****ed that Kane did not go to UM. From what Kane said, Alonzo stopped talking to him.

Kane went into the NFL, had a decent career (Seahawks), but has since gotten into terrible trouble. He killed his girlfriend or estranged wife. His sentence was reduced to 18 years for manslaughter because of his mental problems and addiction, as I recall reading. He had also gotten into trouble at Syracuse for fighting with a cop.

Glad Kane didn't go to Miami.

Last edited:
I would imagine Miami is as well and don't doubt it, I was just trying to make a point that a kid from Nebraska, is just used to certain way of life and coming to Miami (this doesn't mean the players on the team are bad people or not inclusive) is different.
There's always an adjustment, but yeah the Texas school wasn't in a big city, i.e., Dallas, Austin, etc., if I remember correctly it may have been North Texas, but I'm not sure. Directional state schools tend to take regional local kids right?

Most of the Canadian kids lately, at least the talented ones, have gone to the nearish schools Penn State, Michigan, Syracuse, and the kids who live in the western provinces including BC tend to go to the midwest and west coast schools.
Chubba Hubbard was from Edmonton and went to Oklahoma State, and he was the biggest protestor of that far right stuff their coach was quietly promoting.
Lamar Goods, another kid from northern Alberta ended up going to UF actually, was a 4star rated DT, but haven't heard anything about that stuff yet.
I'll touch base with one of my boys who coached him in HS.
The last sought-after recruit who grew up in the same area as Hastings went to Alabama - John Metchie.

Again you can't paint Canadians with a broad brush.

Man, I was in one of those smaller Ohio towns once, not even sure which one, but I would guess they are all alike: boring as ****. I believe it was Dayton. I was heading out west, moving to California, so it was probably on I-70. I think it's Dayton, but it might have been Akron. Probably not Toledo and I know it wasn't Youngstown. I've been to Columbus, I had a friend there. Flew to see him, and we drove from there to Morgantown for a UM game. (Vinnie, Irvin, and the gang.)

I'll bet the city I was in--and I know it wasn't Columbus, because i went there later and it seemed a bit more advanced--was just like the other ones (Toledo, Akron, whatever). They should just shove those three cities together, all in one place, dig a huge, and I mean huge, pit, fill it with water, say it's the beach, build some old Art Deco hotels, fly in some topless models. and make it exciting.

I'm not too worried about Toledo...although I wonder why he's even interested in Toledo. He probably went there and thought it was cool since he never saw anything else outside of Canada. They probably told him Toledo was like the rest of the country and was every bit as exciting as South Beach or L.A.
If it's I-70 then you were in Dayton. Not much there still lol

Advertisement
The last sought-after recruit who grew up in the same area as Hastings went to Alabama - John Metchie.

Again you can't paint Canadians with a broad brush.
He was out of canada at the age of 14 and went to prep school on the east coast and treated it like business since day 1.
He's an outlier.

Notice Isiah has Michigan on there, just wait and watch. I hope we get him and I want Miami too, would make me proud, I'm just saying Michigan is a 6 hour drive at most, a flight for one person from Toronto round trip is 1000 Canadian for his family and hes been away for a year or so now.

Advertisement
He was out of canada at the age of 14 and went to prep school on the east coast and treated it like business since day 1.
He's an outlier.

Notice Isiah has Michigan on there, just wait and watch. I hope we get him and I want Miami too, would make me proud, I'm just saying Michigan is a 6 hour drive at most, a flight for one person from Toronto round trip is 1000 Canadian for his family and hes been away for a year or so now.
4-4.5 hour drive from Ann Arbor to Toronto. Made the drive 2-3 times in college.

Hate to bring it up but I don't know why Marcus didn't have a greater career at UM. That was a period when I couldn't follow the team as closely as I do now but I was hoping for bigger things. Maybe there's something I've forgotten, like injuries? I dunno. I know, this is really tangential to discussing the prospect at hand.
It was exactly that. He couldn't stay healthy, so many injuries. Then I believe, he inexplicably declared for the draft early.

Advertisement
Toledo is my hometown. Born and raised there until I left for college. I can say, the best view was in the rear view mirror.
Toledo actually recruits Ontario pretty hard.
They had the number one tackle in Canada out of my class that year Kenny Hobbins, the guy was 6'8" 330 lbs and played basketball.
He got homesick and was lazy to begin with, the next year he was literally bagging groceries back in his hometown.

He's an outlier.

$1,000C for a flight from Toronto to Miami? That would have to be first class. I'm going to Toronto from FLL next month for $400US nonstop 3 hour flight. With no checked bags, you can fly for $300US.

$1,000C for a flight from Toronto to Miami? That would have to be first class. I'm going to Toronto from FLL next month for $400US nonstop 3 hour flight. With no checked bags, you can fly for $300US.
Yes, today when were coming out of Covid and Air Canada will take pocket change.
Flights are cheap correct.

All these fact checkers, **** man, it's expensive if the kid goes to Miami for school for his family period, and not so much to U-M, that's my points gawwwd

Man, I'm gonna stop posting on here haha

Advertisement
Yes, today when were coming out of Covid and Air Canada will take pocket change.
Flights are cheap correct.

All these fact checkers, **** man, it's expensive if the kid goes to Miami for school for his family period, and not so much to U-M, that's my points gawwwd

Man, I'm gonna stop posting on here haha

An at U of Michigan he is more likely to find a pretty midwest cornfeed coed to keep him warm during those cold northern winter nights.

Go Canes

An at U of Michigan he is more likely to find a pretty midwest cornfeed coed to keep him warm during those cold northern winter nights.

Go Canes
That sounds eerily similar to something DannyBoyCane once said about those corn fed Nebraska girls.

Litte bit of that vibe again…..

Advertisement
Back