2024 DT Board (2024 Edition) [Mario: This Time Its Personal]

You guys expect us to recruit like Alabama after the last 20 years of bull**** on the field. This thing is going to take a few years to change the culture personnel and every other god**** thing that has plagued this program for 20 years.

I know this sounds crazy but all the other college football programs have elite recruiters too yet You expect Mario to win out on every kid he has a conversation with or you consider it failure.

It's honestly frustrating and embarrassing to read. Go Canes!
not going 2 wins worse than your predecessor in year 1 doesn't help.

Advertisement
I have little to no confidence in this staff.We got blown out at home by MTSU
You guys expect us to recruit like Alabama after the last 20 years of bull**** on the field. This thing is going to take a few years to change the culture personnel and every other god**** thing that has plagued this program for 20 years.

I know this sounds crazy but all the other college football programs have elite recruiters too yet You expect Mario to win out on every kid he has a conversation with or you consider it failure.

The “experts” told us Mario was a recruiting “gawd”, that we were going to land “whales”, and that his recruiting acumen would make up for his less than impressive game day coaching skills. We were told that Mario would personally restock the DT room with Stars-personally. Yet here we are recruiting at or near the same level that we did under Randy, Al, CMR, and Manny-top 10-20 . We have been rejected by nearly all of our top targets. We have been rejected by players whose fam openly recruited for us. Those “other“ schools, our in-state rivals, are at 3 and 5 right now and are landing difference makers every week. One of them-FSU-embarrassed us at Hard Rock last year. So, did MTSU and Duke. Even Manny, with all his faults, OWNED FSU. So, I will agree that it is “embarrassing” to read facts that deflating about Miami’s savior head coach.

I do agree with your post and you make a great point about taking a few years to change the cultural personnel. It's going to take a few years to truly build the type of rock solid foundation that is absolutely necessary to have before we go into battle head to head with the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio Taint ect .....with any reasonable expectation of winning.

The point I have made is that we must be able to successfully recruit elite talent at DT in order to compete at an elite level with the best in the country which is what Mario came here to do. That point isn't meant as a criticism or as some type of tantrum. I was just stating a cold hard fact.

Getting back to your post, yes you are correct and I'll add that I consider the work Mario and staff have done in recruiting since their arrival to be beyond exceptional when you consider exactly what it was that they walked into. I would also add that all of these near misses with Stone, Franklin, Jackson, Stewart and Scott despite being disappointing could be viewed as a positive when you consider the 5-7 disaster of 2022 and the fact that Mario and staff are at the very beginning of the rebuilding of the program. Cristobal hasn't even begun to lay the foundation yet and we are pushing these elite programs to the wire with these elite 5 star DLs. It will take a few years for everything to take root and to transform the way in which people perceive UM football. Once we have that foundation to build on then we can expect for Mario to recruit like Alabama and I trust that he will.

Advertisement
Really seems like we’re missing a big opportunity not going after TA Cunningham...

That kid did not transfer to Miami Central for sh*ts & giggles.

We got the money, so what’s the hold up?

I said this earlier this summer? I figured UM had something to do with his transfer lol? Like to get him near the program, etc...

Roomer has it we wanted him to work out and he said no? Something along those lines.

Any early reports from Central on him?

We may get another highschool kid like you say and if FSU has another good season they will likely flip Jones.Even Dmoney said he doesn't trust him sticking just based on where he's from.After this year we lose Taylor,Deen,Hunter,Licht and Campbell.All we return is Moten and Horton.We have no choice but to keep beefing up Acheapong and will need 3 or maybe even 4 portal DTs,not what any of us hoped/expected coming into this class.

Yes it is the #1 on this team and it's a fail so far.

BUT Campbell returns...

I'm not sure if Gore has a covid year maybe? Depth if nothing else, he's no great shakes. But Collins A. was likely beefing anyway. And Guidry has hinted Bain could end up side. Definitely need more.

Moten/Horten/Collins A.

(Maybe Bain, maybe Gore)

Advertisement
I'm interested to see where UM/Mario goes next. I don't think it was Stone or nothing. I believe they've been working other DTs and probably kids committed elsewhere. I have confidence in this staff to perfect us into top 10 class this year.

The “experts” told us Mario was a recruiting “gawd”, that we were going to land “whales”, and that his recruiting acumen would make up for his less than impressive game day coaching skills. We were told that Mario would personally restock the DT room with Stars-personally. Yet here we are recruiting at or near the same level that we did under Randy, Al, CMR, and Manny-top 10-20 . We have been rejected by nearly all of our top targets. We have been rejected by players whose fam openly recruited for us. Those “other“ schools, our in-state rivals, are at 3 and 5 right now and are landing difference makers every week. One of them-FSU-embarrassed us at Hard Rock last year. So, did MTSU and Duke. Even Manny, with all his faults, OWNED FSU. So, I will agree that it is “embarrassing” to read facts that deflating about Miami’s savior head coach.
Cribby said to temper expectations and a top 5 class wasn't happening. I guess you chose to listen to someone else, whether D Money or one of the 247 people. But the info to pump our brakes a bit was given late spring/early summer.

Really seems like we’re missing a big opportunity not going after TA Cunningham...

That kid did not transfer to Miami Central for sh*ts & giggles.

We got the money, so what’s the hold up?
Why wouldn't he work out for the staff when 5 star guys had 0 issue ? I imagine that or some other character or grades type issue might be at play.

Advertisement
Cribby said to temper expectations and a top 5 class wasn't happening. I guess you chose to listen to someone else, whether D Money or one of the 247 people. But the info to pump our brakes a bit was given late spring/early summer.
Not questioning Cribby, he knows his stuff. But, if we are getting crappy coaching, and standard Miami recruiting, why hire the guy FIU fired? And we use $8, 000,000.00 of our football budget to do so.

Not questioning Cribby, he knows his stuff. But, if we are getting crappy coaching, and standard Miami recruiting, why hire the guy FIU fired? And we use $8, 000,000.00 of our football budget to do so.
Was getting the 7th ranked class last year standard ? And yeah FIU fired him, but he took them to a bowl game and actually got guys drafted from there. He has a lot to prove here but acting like he's a buffoon is a played out CIS narrative.

Advertisement
Was getting the 7th ranked class last year standard ? And yeah FIU fired him, but he took them to a bowl game and actually got guys drafted from there. He has a lot to prove here but acting like he's a buffoon is a played out CIS narrative.
Perhaps he got that class because Mr. Ruiz took it personally and actually purchased guys UF wanted just to poke them in the eye……..either that or Mario CAN recruit offensive linemen………….who needs QBs, WRs, or DTS?

Perhaps he got that class because Mr. Ruiz took it personally and actually purchased guys UF wanted just to poke them in the eye……..either that or Mario CAN recruit offensive linemen………….who needs QBs, WRs, or DTS?
So, did Ruiz help him recruit at Oregon or Bama too ? At Oregon specifically they seemingly had decent WR's and even stole a good DT from Broward (Dorlus). Recruiting at Miami is simply more challenging than elsewhere, especially if you don't win. Let's see how Ray Ray & Robby turn out just a little before we completely throw him under the bus for WR recruiting here.

We haven’t landed DT whales in the portal either. Lichtenstein? Gore? Good grief. I think Deen could be solid, but none of these dudes are comparable to the whales we are recruiting and striking out on.

What makes us think we can make up for these recruiting misses with the portal at DT?
Oh no.I don't believe the portal will make up for these DT misses.I'm just saying we will have no choice but to again hit the portal hard for DTs just like last year.We just grabbed Gore,Deen and Campbell and will likely need to sign 3 more portal DTs now.Mario will be the 1st to admit he had no intention to do so again going into this class but here we are following the FSU model when you miss on top high school kids.

Advertisement
Back