Drug Use, Addiction, & Society (f/k/a Chris Graves (enters the Portal))

Advertisement
Think about this logically and ask yourself. Is entering the portal this late a decision that makes sense from a players standpoint? Simple answer is no.

Now remember the other side… every portal entry isn’t voluntary. I’m just saying. Odds are this has nothing to do with competing.

If it doesn’t make sense 9 times out of 10 it’s something else at play.

Why is the simple answer no?

Yikes. Signals started in the spring that he was "a way off", but still, I'm sick of being told these kids are going to be studs in HS, when in all reality they were often overrated.
Not only was he overrated but we naturally overrated him even more once he committed. This is also why stacking chip is more than a cliche, it’s a numbers game. Even the best miss left and right on evals. You need to stack rooms where the odds are stacked in your favor that someone will hit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The part that will never make sense to me....

The deadline to enter the portal and get immediate eligibility has passed.

Unless he gets a waiver to play at FGCU (his hometown which doesn't have football), he has to sit an entire year now.

So you rather sit for a year than battle it out and get some tape, if playing time is the real issue? You're not gonna play at all now.

From the outside looking in, this seems like that DE that transferred out right before camp like this. Something Williams. And I believe that was a grades issue?

Just doesn't make sense to willingly chose to sit a year.

Advertisement

Unless he gets a waiver to play at FGCU (his hometown which doesn't have football), he has to sit an entire year now.

So you rather sit for a year than battle it out and get some tape, if playing time is the real issue? You're not gonna play at all now.

From the outside looking in, this seems like that DE that transferred out right before camp like this. Something Williams. And I believe that was a grades issue?

My only comment to that is if you are not happy because you could see you are not playing much this year, if at all, are you going to risk sitting around to MAYBE get some tape in garbage time or banking on injuries to occur to get you playing time to get tape to go somewhere else?

Or if someone like Ole Miss calls, offers to kick a nickel to the cause, boosts your head up, convinces you to come in a year early to get used to the system, learn the playbook, and next year be ready for serious minutes. The amount of playing time in either scenario is about the same for this year, but next year being a year already in the system or having to learn in fall camp could make a huge difference. We all talk about even the HS recruits how getting kids in spring as oppose to fall is such a huge benefit.

Agree. It really only makes sense if there is maybe a lower end p5 school that has room now, sees him as a young top 120 kid and takes him now.

Advertisement
Why is the simple answer no?
If you enter the portal this late you’re ineligible until 2024. Not only that but you need film if the plan is to transfer at the same level. It puts you in a situation where your best option is to go Juco. That is what we call bad decision making. To willingly enter the portal at this point is foolish which is why guys entering the portal right now across the country typically don’t have a choice. “Aka pink slips”

Advertisement
Back