Drew Galitz (Kicker/Punter) commits to Miami

Advertisement
Texas people thought he was a UT lock if Horns offered. Most were penciling him in their class. Interesting to see what happens if they offer.
A bit off topic but what's going on with Texas recruiting? Very underwhelming this year especially with a guy like Strong in there.

By no means am I saying this is proof but I kind of wondered if the Texas recruiting base was going to support Charlie Strong. I believe he would've considered the Miami job over UT if Al had left only because of what he could've accomplished here recruiting. He would've been fully embraced and played the style of ball we use to see in Coral Gables. Maybe I'm way off base but I don't think so.

Interesting post, never thought he would have issues such a large state with so much talent. Don't understand how he and Sumlin could not co-exist.

Lot of teams pick TX, much like So Fl. It isn't just A&M. But UT hasn't really been much, except for one year with Young, since we trashed their program in that glorious Cotton Bowl. That said, Johnnie Football is gone and A&M will probably go back to being who they are but Strong might have some trouble with TX high schools. It is not So Fl.

Welcome to the :neonu:!!!

57.gif

Knox, you have some high end taste.

Advertisement
Wasn't it reported at the time of Strong's hiring that some high ranking folks at Texas were against his hiring because he was black?? Maybe im making that up.

It's possible but I'm not sure how much that would have to do with recruiting predominantly African American talent, unless the high schools are on the same wavelength which I guess it's plenty possible

UT brand is as down as it's been in my lifetime and TAMU's brand (geezus, I sound like Golden) is higher than it's ever been in my lifetime. A&M had some good teams in the early 90s but JFF has made them the "cool" school now, and the Bama games were giant in this state... A&M also worked hard to get into power DFW programs like Dallas Skyline and Desoto which gives them a permanent presence in metroplex recriuting in addition to the Houston & East Texas areas they've always done well in. Has nothing to do with the race stuff, you guys are buying into contrived bs. Sumlin's recruiting the best classes in Texas A&M history as a black man at College Station, which is 5 billion times more conservative and "traditional" than Austin which is basically San Francisco East now. I also think that Strong is intentionally passing on some of the 5 star kids, personally... I think he's legit as far as looking for his type of player instead of recruiting lists, and while it is hurting the public perception, I think that's a shot in the arm that UT needed. Mack recruited without thought to style/system and just signed every highly ranked kid. I am biased, though.... I think Strong is going to crush it at Texas. He brings something that program hasn't had in 30+ years.

Last edited:
Swagger, I typically agree with you, but I think Strong will be out of a job in 3-4 years.

Advertisement
Strong will be good at Texas but he will definitely have a rough 1st year. He doesn't have any Texas ties, like he has ties to Florida high schools.

Advertisement
Back