2024 Drelon Miller

Advertisement
Miller would have been worth every penny of a top-tier NIL offer. Maybe we were willing to spend as much as USC or A&M, but it wasn't enough in the end.

All I know is Miller is a premier, game-changing WR1. Assuming Wingo is just as much of a pipe dream as Miller, that leaves us in a position of once again being 100% reliant on South Florida WR's and hoping things will just be different this time around. That's dangerous territory as we've seen for many years.

And that's with the staff apparently having a different view of Judd Anderson than every other program that's recruiting in a different stratosphere at QB, which obviously has an impact on the caliber of WR's we'll be able to land. Gotta hope for the best. We'll see what happens.
in other words, it's all Judd Anderson's fault!!

- there are bags (which is what we have) and then there are BAGS which is what we don’t have

UM is going to have to vastly overpay to get an elite WR because of the perception that Cristobal runs boring offenses that are bad for a WRs draft stock. If we can't or won't overpay, then we got the wrong HC. Cristobal needs to stack chips because even the biggest Cristobal fans admit he's not a particularly good gameday coach. If not going to pay the price for #1 WR and QB talent (IMO the two most important positions in modern CFB), then we should have hired a "scheme" HC who gets the most out of the talent on the roster. If UM is willing to pay for other positions but says top QBs and WRs are simply too expensive, then we are trying to be a half a$$ version of Clemson, which is a terrible strategy (and based on Rads recent baseball coach hiring decision, the " half a$$ Clemson" theory has legs)

UM is going to have to vastly overpay to get an elite WR because of the perception that Cristobal runs boring offenses that are bad for a WRs draft stock. If we can't or won't overpay, then we got the wrong HC. Cristobal needs to stack chips because even the biggest Cristobal fans admit he's not a particularly good gameday coach. If not going to pay the price for #1 WR and QB talent (IMO the two most important positions in modern CFB), then we should have hired a "scheme" HC who gets the most out of the talent on the roster. If UM is willing to pay for other positions but says top QBs and WRs are simply too expensive, then we are trying to be a half a$$ version of Clemson, which is a terrible strategy (and based on Rads recent baseball coach hiring decision, the " half a$$ Clemson" theory has legs)
THAAAAANK YOU!!!!! Someone gets it other than me! If you want to take part in "Big Boy" recruiting, you will have to sacrifice and overpay for a couple of recruits. That's just the nature of the beast. All this playing it cheap stuff is not going to get us to where we want to be.

Advertisement
I’ve thought that as well and for good reason but these guys might surprise us.
Trader and Chance if that does happen would be top tier and there is still Staley out there. Not to mention we will have one last hail mary on Wingo if we have a good season. Would have loved Miller but we kinda came out of nowhere there and while landing him would have been great it was always a long shot.

Trader and Chance if that does happen would be top tier and there is still Staley out there. Not to mention we will have one last hail mary on Wingo if we have a good season. Would have loved Miller but we kinda came out of nowhere there and while landing him would have been great it was always a long shot.
I agree... Trader and Chance would be a great haul. But for it to be an ELITE haul, we would need at least 1 more TOP wr in this class. Especially since most ppl here feels like Trader could possibly end up playing DB.

in other words, it's all Judd Anderson's fault!!

I've been on the concerned end of some well-intentioned, spirited debate about QB recruiting in part because that was my biggest concern with Mario when he was hired. He landed higher-rated QB's at Oregon and the evals there were terrible. But I also don't look at QB recruiting in a vacuum like some others seem to do.

When we finish as a runner-up in a battle for an elite WR like Miller, we may not ever know the biggest reason why we lost. But both USC (Malachi Nelson) and A&M (Conner Weigman) signed a 5* QB in last year's class. We obviously didn't. The coaches and fans may like our unheralded QB commit way more than other programs or the rankings services, but premier wideouts obviously don't care about that.

Our biggest competition for Ryan Wingo is Georgia and they landed the #1 overall recruit and QB in the country in Dylan Raiola this year. We're trying to flip Jeremiah Smith from OSU and they landed Air Noland. Meanwhile, our unheralded QB commit is someone our staff views much differently than everyone else. It may not be the decisive factor in some cases, but it's part of what makes an already uphill battle of trying to land elite WR's even more difficult.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree... Trader and Chance would be a great haul. But for it to be an ELITE haul, we would need at least 1 more TOP wr in this class. Especially since most ppl here feels like Trader could possibly end up playing DB.

If Trader is truly a 5* WR instead of a 5* ATH whose best position is DB, I really want to see him show out this season just as much as Jeremiah Smith does in the same exact offense. If there's a drastic disparity between the two, that'll be very telling.

I've been on the other end of some well-intentioned, spirited debate about QB recruiting in part because that was my biggest concern with Mario when he was hired. He landed higher-rated QB's at Oregon and the evals there were terrible. But I also don't look at QB recruiting in a vacuum like some others seem to do.

When we finish as a runner-up in a battle for an elite WR like Miller, we may not ever know the biggest reason why we lost. But both USC (Malachi Nelson) and A&M (Conner Weigman) signed a 5* QB in last year's class. We obviously didn't. The coaches and fans may like our unheralded QB commit way more than other programs or the rankings services, but premier wideouts obviously don't care about that.

Our biggest competition for Ryan Wingo is Georgia and they landed the #1 overall recruit and QB in the country in Dylan Raiola this year. We're trying to flip Jeremiah Smith from OSU and they landed Air Noland. Meanwhile, our unheralded QB commit is someone our staff views much differently than everyone else. It may not be the decisive factor in some cases, but it's part of what makes an already uphill battle of trying to land elite WR's even more difficult.
Right right. I know I play around alot with the bashing of Judd .... But the one thing I have been serious about since the day we accepted his commitment was how it will not help us in recruiting when it comes to the WR position. That position has already been a struggle and now it's just even more difficult.

If Trader is truly a 5* WR instead of a 5* ATH whose best position is DB, I really want to see him show out this season just as much as Jeremiah Smith does in the same exact offense. If there's a drastic disparity between the two, that'll be very telling.
I think there will be a drastic disparity between the two because Smith is just that much better at WR than everyone else. I would love Trader in this class at whatever position he wants tho. Just saying that it's not a lock he plays WR which would then put us back in a hole at that position depending on who else we bring in.

Advertisement
Couple quick thoughts
  • While Im in general agreement that Trader may make a better DB lets not discount that he is in fact a top 50 player overall as a WR. I think there are some disappointed that he isnt a insane blazer and while doing that they ignore some elite qualities.
    • Kid has very good speed and the type of speed where he is a threat at all times. It may not be game changing but its still very good and he looks every bit as fast as say Miller
    • His ball skills and ability to make contested catches is elite
    • He shows up on the biggest stages
  • Barney.... watch this kid's film. Reminds me slightly of Jordan Addison in the way he moves. Im far from a homer but Im not kidding when I say he is one of those kids that leaves SFLA and we end up talking about how in the world we let him go in about 4 years. I know posters overdo it on here with that but I think he is one of those guys
    • In his junior tape his speed and burst really are showcased when he is in the wild cat.
    • Multiple plays where his QB ***** up and either throws it late or short. If the throw is right he is off to the races. He still makes the play but is robbed of what could have been

I've been on the concerned end of some well-intentioned, spirited debate about QB recruiting in part because that was my biggest concern with Mario when he was hired. He landed higher-rated QB's at Oregon and the evals there were terrible. But I also don't look at QB recruiting in a vacuum like some others seem to do.

Cannot upvote this enough. This is what an elite QB recruit can get you. And yet people get all ****y when you dare question why Judd is our QB1 after taking another average prospect in Emory as QB1 last cycle.

And no, I’m not crapping on Emory the football player, I’m merely talking as a prospect and what the perception is. It would be equally as foolish to crown him after playing against walk-ons in a Spring game as it would be to cast him aside merely because of his ranking.

But for recruiting purposes and trying to attract top tier, upper echelon WRs that this program so desperately needs, being that no one has seen Emory actually play, that is the perception - Mario can’t close on/maximize the potential of elite QBs. I was hoping this cycle (and our NIL) would erase that stigmatism this time around. It appears we are resting on our laurels a bit and banking on the portal, or another developmental high school arm.

Cannot upvote this enough. This is what an elite QB recruit can get you. And yet people get all ****y when you dare question why Judd is our QB1 after taking another average prospect in Emory as QB1 last cycle.

And no, I’m not crapping on Emory the football player, I’m merely talking as a prospect and what the perception is. It would be equally as foolish to crown him after playing against walk-ons in a Spring game as it would be to cast him aside merely because of his ranking.

But for recruiting purposes and trying to attract top tier, upper echelon WRs that this program so desperately needs, being that no one has seen Emory actually play, that is the perception - Mario can’t close on/maximize the potential of elite QBs.
The frustrating and insulting part is when you are tar and feathered over questioning either when both were sold as QB2s at the time of their commitments.

Advertisement
Couple quick thoughts
  • While Im in general agreement that Trader may make a better DB lets not discount that he is in fact a top 50 player overall as a WR. I think there are some disappointed that he isnt a insane blazer and while doing that they ignore some elite qualities.
    • Kid has very good speed and the type of speed where he is a threat at all times. It may not be game changing but its still very good and he looks every bit as fast as say Miller
    • His ball skills and ability to make contested catches is elite
    • He shows up on the biggest stages
  • Barney.... watch this kid's film. Reminds me slightly of Jordan Addison in the way he moves. Im far from a homer but Im not kidding when I say he is one of those kids that leaves SFLA and we end up talking about how in the world we let him go in about 4 years. I know posters overdo it on here with that but I think he is one of those guys
    • In his junior tape his speed and burst really are showcased when he is in the wild cat.
    • Multiple plays where his QB ***** up and either throws it late or short. If the throw is right he is off to the races. He still makes the play but is robbed of what could have been
Well said

This board tends to just follow what a couple of people say and run with it and Trader is kinda one of those examples. It’s wild how he’s switched positions in everyone’s mind suddenly without playing in a game.

Well said

This board tends to just follow what a couple of people say and run with it and Trader is kinda one of those examples. It’s wild how he’s switched positions in everyone’s mind suddenly without playing in a game.
So, some people are worried about his speed when he is playing WR but will be fine with that same speed if he is playing CB? Lol

So, some people are worried about his speed when he is playing WR but will be fine with that same speed if he is playing CB? Lol
I hear ya haha

I do like the trend our team has towards more speed. Seems every position we have should be faster this year than to start the season last year

Some guys are just really good at playing WR though as well

Advertisement
Back