Draft analysts raving about Canes at East/West Shrine Game

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Daniel Jeremiah and Mike Mayock of the NFL Network have identified a couple ProCanes as the most impressive players on the field.

From Jeremiah:

Miami DE Anthony Chickillo: Chickillo (6-foot-4, 275 pounds) was a five-star prospect and a consensus national top-25 recruit in the 2011 recruiting class, one that also included Jadeveon Clowney, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Sammy Watkins, who were first-round picks in the 2014 draft. (Chickillo is one of two five-stars from the 2011 recruiting class in the Shrine Game; the other is Texas RB Malcom Brown.) Chickillo was a four-year starter at Miami, but never lived up to the recruiting hype. He had five sacks as a freshman in 2011, but that ended up being his career-high, and his total dropped every season (four in 2012, 3.5 in '13 and three this season). Still, he was a valuable player for the Hurricanes known for his high-revving motor and ended up being better against the run than was expected. Chickillo showed off his relentlessness and tenacity in almost every drill this week. "I can see him being a mid-round pick who will be around a long time," Jeremiah said.

Miami G/T Jonathan Feliciano: Unlike his former Miami teammate, Feliciano was not a notable recruit. But after redshirting as a true freshman in 2010, Feliciano (6-5, 320) started for the next four seasons, just like Chickillo. And just like Chickillo, Feliciano is a try-hard guy who battles. He started at both guard and tackle with the Hurricanes, and that versatility will be a selling point. Unlike numerous linemen at the Shrine Game who cross-trained at different line positions this week, Feliciano has an actual track record at guard and both tackle spots.

From Mayock:

Miami G/T Jonathan Feliciano: Feliciano (6-5, 320) doesn't wow you with his athleticism or strength, but he is a hard-working guy who is tenacious and versatile. He started at guard and tackle during his career at Miami, and saw action this season at guard, left tackle and right tackle. Every offensive lineman was cross-trained at other line spots this week, and Feliciano was comfortable at both guard and tackle, though guard seems like his best position at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...bride-leads-standouts-from-shrine-game-drills
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...emphis-bobby-mccain-stanfords-jordan-richards

Advertisement
The failure is 80% system and risk aversion, 20% recruiting. These guys do a good job of developing players.

Saw this on Twitter last night. Get'em Future ProCanes! I'd take Feliciano on my Detroit Lions to eventually replace Rob Sims.

Daniel Jeremiah and Mike Mayock of the NFL Network have identified a couple ProCanes as the most impressive players on the field.

From Jeremiah:

Miami DE Anthony Chickillo: Chickillo (6-foot-4, 275 pounds) was a five-star prospect and a consensus national top-25 recruit in the 2011 recruiting class, one that also included Jadeveon Clowney, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Sammy Watkins, who were first-round picks in the 2014 draft. (Chickillo is one of two five-stars from the 2011 recruiting class in the Shrine Game; the other is Texas RB Malcom Brown.) Chickillo was a four-year starter at Miami, but never lived up to the recruiting hype. He had five sacks as a freshman in 2011, but that ended up being his career-high, and his total dropped every season (four in 2012, 3.5 in '13 and three this season). Still, he was a valuable player for the Hurricanes known for his high-revving motor and ended up being better against the run than was expected. Chickillo showed off his relentlessness and tenacity in almost every drill this week. "I can see him being a mid-round pick who will be around a long time," Jeremiah said.

How does that happen? What changed with Chick from Year 1 to Year 4? He doesn't have a history of being injured. Wasn't supplanted by some hotshot freshman or another player. Just sack totals, and I am sure tackles and tackle for loss totals just fell off like a washed up rapper.

Hope he kills at the Shrine Game and next level.

Who would have thought the U is the place for the NFL to pick up mid to late round value pick because the lack of development or misuse of the talent.

Advertisement
Chickillo has double of the amount of production that Mario Edwards has

I truly despise our head coach and his coaching direction. It's like he is semi-retarded how he misuses talent.

The failure is 80% system and risk aversion, 20% recruiting. These guys do a good job of developing players.

This. Golden is structured and disciplined. He has always had talent and pushed the guys physically. His scheme and his unwillingness to adapt to his players is his biggest and most fatal flaw. For instance, bulking up was good for duke but bad for chick. It's why I'm not totally down on the program. I think the talent is here and a coach who knows how to utilize all of his players will have a quick turn around here. We had the athletes, maybe except at DT, to win every game this year.

UM has become the TJ Maxx for NFL scouts. They can rifle through the racks where no-one paid attention and find that rare bit of fire for half price. Get the max for the minimum at UMaxx!

Advertisement
Feliciano making it would not surprise me, he's got a nasty streak which usually bodes well for o lineman.

From Jeremiah:

How does that happen? What changed with Chick from Year 1 to Year 4? He doesn't have a history of being injured. Wasn't supplanted by some hotshot freshman or another player. Just sack totals, and I am sure tackles and tackle for loss totals just fell off like a washed up rapper.

He had to be moved inside.

From Jeremiah:

Year one he played 4-3 single gap DE. Years 2-4 he played 3-4 2-gap DE. Scheme is an abomination that is killing kids wallets.

Advertisement

From Jeremiah:

He had to be moved inside.

He was still a DE...just a 3/4 type DE for more snaps.

Chick shouldn't have been over 260 his whole career here. When they used him at end this last year his lack of quickness was very noticeable.

Advertisement
wish them the best, but didn't interpret anything as 'raving' about their exploits.

I wouldn't exactly call this raving about them, but we definitely wasted talent over the past few years. Especially Chick.

I can't stop laughing at Chick's sack totals declining every season.

This staff is one giant punchline.

Advertisement
Back