Dr Frenk's Latest Message

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
This isn't meant to demean or mock Dr Frenk. By all accounts he is an accomplished academic. I do not know him personally, nor do many (perhaps all) of you. I post this and ask you to watch it. His message is sincere and well meaning.

Now ask yourself this: is this the "leader" the BoT has entrusted to even step foot in Miami's AD, let alone make a single decision, or even have input, into how Miami's competitive athletic programs are run? Many of us here have said for ages he has no role*.

The problem with our Canes isn't Manuela, it isn't James--they are symptoms and not root causes. The disappointment lays completely at the feet of the BoT, every single one of them, as they have hired poorly in the past and appear to have not learned a single thing from their mistakes.

Our Canes will return to greatness when the BoT becomes great themselves in regards to these key questions:

what do they want from the football/basketball/baseball programs?

are the resources available to make the vision happen?

are they prepared to make decisions, review progress, and make the necessary adjustments?

*updated for clarity 2111 CET

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wtf are you all freaking out about? Jesus Christ get a hold of yourselves.
I don’t think he’s freaking out at all. He is on the money with this one. He’s telling the truth. Our BOT hasn’t taken our sports seriously in years and it has caught up and hurt our programs. Our football program has left millions out there because we can’t get to the big bowls or the playoffs. This is suppose to be the best recruiting area in the country according to south Floridians but we’ve sucked for 20 years.

Advertisement
This post is like when you walk by a mentally ill person on the street ranting about the end of the world or something. There's not much you can do other than feel bad and keep walking. You're certainly not going to stop and argue with the person.

Dr. Frenk job is to run a major private university that encompasses many different aspects not just sports. University of Miami is more than just sports, I know thats how we view the university based on this board and our love for all things athletics.

Advertisement
I don't think Frenk is some great leader, but I was grateful to have his public health experience the last year. He also oversaw the campus renovations that were sorely needed.

That said, I think we need a BOT who understands that having a president whose focus is academics and finances is best for the university and having and AD whose focus is on sports excellence as a path to increased revenue are key to success in both arenas.

I don't know where the disconnect is, but somewhere in that food chain there is a weak leader who values control more than success.

I don't think Frenk is some great leader, but I was grateful to have his public health experience the last year. He also oversaw the campus renovations that were sorely needed.

That said, I think we need a BOT who understands that having a president whose focus is academics and finances is best for the university and having and AD whose focus is on sports excellence as a path to increased revenue are key to success in both arenas.

I don't know where the disconnect is, but somewhere in that food chain there is a weak leader who values control more than success.

Exactly... those 2 things dont have to be mutually exclusive. We can have both

Dr. Frenk job is to run a major private university that encompasses many different aspects not just sports. University of Miami is more than just sports, I know thats how we view the university based on this board and our love for all things athletics.
100% agree he is there to run the academic portion of the University.

Its just that only unicorns can meet the pressure/demands of two wholly disparate, and some would say mutually exclusive worlds: big time academics and staff vs big time athletics and staff.

I suppose Stanford would be the model, but no one would call their football/basketball teams elite in regards to National Championships.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t think he’s freaking out at all. He is on the money with this one. He’s telling the truth. Our BOT hasn’t taken our sports seriously in years and it has caught up and hurt our programs. Our football program has left millions out there because we can’t get to the big bowls or the playoffs. This is suppose to be the best recruiting area in the country according to south Floridians but we’ve sucked for 20 years.
But what in the world does the video he posted above have to do with any of what you’re talking about?

Did you want the guy to spend 5 minutes talking about football?

Frenk wasn't brought here to revive athletics. He is a liberal academic who came from the Harvard School of Public Health. The rankings of the University and the Medical School have risen since he got here. The Medical School and U Health System , which drive the whole University, are the highest rated they have ever been. Frenk was great for combatting the pandemic. He doesn't give a **** about football and shouldn't be expected to. The problem is the AD and BOT.

Advertisement
Back