Donell Harris Decommits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The system evolves, but the bag schools have always had the same advantage. It's gone from Switzer to Stallings to Saban.

The difference now is that we are fighting the war on two fronts: they are negative recruiting our performance while dangling the bag. That's tough to beat.
Financial benefits have not always had the same advantage they do now because the cover is different. You said it yourself: Alabama has been busted multiple times before for far less than the systematic approach they, Georgia and the like execute now. The alignment of interests has changed (we can all agree on that). Much easier to operate with impunity, no? That's a significant change.

The system evolves, but the bag schools have always had the same advantage. It's gone from Switzer to Stallings to Saban.

The difference now is that we are fighting the war on two fronts: they are negative recruiting our performance while dangling the bag. That's tough to beat.
Facts. Like i said you have to win or pay but the best results are both. Miami isn't doing either and that's why they have struggled for so long.

Advertisement
Someone in Dade (or with knowledge of the public schools) give me a quick primer on how some of these kids can reclassify and graduate a year early. Is this kid some academic superstar like Jalen Rivers?

If it's so easy then EVERY kid that is on track to go to MDC or somewhere similar should dip out of Booker T Washington and every other similar school early asap. Eff high skool. Let these kids improve their living situations with some sweet student loan money and such, right?

Financial benefits have not always had the same advantage they do now because the cover is different. You said it yourself: Alabama has been busted multiple times before for far less than the systematic approach they, Georgia and the like execute now. The alignment of interests has changed (we can all agree on that). Much easier to operate with impunity, no? That's a significant change.

I actually think it's harder, even with Emmertt protecting his old friend Saban. Social media and other things shine a light on dirt. That's why schools are so systematic now. Before they were brazen.

Facts. Like i said you have to win or pay but the best results are both. Miami isn't doing either and that's why they have struggled for so long.
I don't think anyone is arguing that we'd be helped by even minimally competent coaching. I've been at the front of the bandwagon for 16 years on that. I was that annoying message board poster in arguments about how we were getting less with more in 2003 and it was a sign of things to come. You can read my history on this very board about our offense under Richt - dating back to 2016. We have to START by being at least competitive in our coaching and strategy. We'll see if we do that under Manny.

Even then, this is a wildly rigged system. Hopefully, we can find a creative way to overcome it. If I sell my company for any healthy sum of money, I'll be glad to contribute. For now, all I can do is encourage people to celebrate Don Chaney and ignore Donell Harris.

We need some real coaches to develop the talented kids we have on campus and win... we are in **** division that should be a gift of 10-11 wins every single **** year!

And I don't usually agree with D$ but this whole bag game is nothing new... go watch the 30 for 30 about SMU they legit were talking about having a **** payroll for the team and how they couldn't get away from it because they knew the players would blow the whistle due to being ****ed off as the one(prbly main) reason why they came was the monthly pay off

this has always been part of the game but guess what we won in the 80s, 90s, and early 00s when credit cards were barley a thing in a time also when zero social media was around and you could easily pay off kids in cash with zero tracing nationally to see them "floss" with the cash

Advertisement
I actually think it's harder, even with Emmertt protecting his old friend Saban. Social media and other things shine a light on dirt. That's why schools are so systematic now. Before they were brazen.
We disagree there. When the media and the NCAA very clearly (based on actual occurrences) refuse to report on or investigate obvious transgressions while following up on Miso Soup payoffs, no amount of visibility on some Bama or Georgia player flashing their payday will make a difference.

No we won’t.
We wont get most... but we will get our share. I tried to explain for awhile how we are viewed nationally. One season where we showed out because of our defense doesnt erase that especially when you follow that up with what we did. Need to make winning consistently a normal expectation here. With how were built now I think that should be pretty easy. We arent ready for another ring but we can easily win in the acc. Clemson can be beat as well. Only teams were flat out not built for right now have dominant front sevens like ours. Matter of fact better than ours. We gotta fix the interior on both our lines and were good.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we'd be helped by even minimally competent coaching. I've been at the front of the bandwagon for 16 years on that. I was that annoying message board poster in arguments about how we were getting less with more in 2003 and it was a sign of things to come. You can read my history on this very board about our offense under Richt - dating back to 2016. We have to START by being at least competitive in our coaching and strategy. We'll see if we do that under Manny.

Even then, this is a wildly rigged system. Hopefully, we can find a creative way to overcome it. If I sell my company for any healthy sum of money, I'll be glad to contribute. For now, all I can do is encourage people to celebrate Don Chaney and ignore Donell Harris.
Winning ties into it. Winning brings in more money and more people who want to be a part of that. Clemson and fsu under jimbo are the prime example.

We need some real coaches to develop the talented kids we have on campus and win... we are in **** division that should be a gift of 10-11 wins every single **** year!

And I don't usually agree with D$ but this whole bag game is nothing new... go watch the 30 for 30 about SMU they legit were talking about having a **** payroll for the team and how they couldn't get away from it because they knew the players would blow the whistle due to being ****ed off as the one(prbly main) reason why they came was the monthly pay off

this has always been part of the game but guess what we won in the 80s, 90s, and early 00s when credit cards were barley a thing in a time also when zero social media was around and you could easily pay off kids in cash with zero tracing nationally to see them "floss" with the cash
Gotta look at it from both sides of the pay game. Don't think anyone can disagree that payments have always happened at some level. I also don't think anyone can disagree the system protects some while enforces on others.

It's really a surprise to people USC and Miami, two "smaller" schools on the most fertile grounds in the country, are taken to the woodshed while teams part of the media companies' net profit get a pass? It's not an excuse for losing to **** teams and consistently sucking for 15 years. That goes on our admin and coaches. But, to ignore the reality of the current landscape seems odd.

That said, not sure why this is such a crazy topic. Everyone should agree we need to win and produce more with less. It's the only thing we can control.

Advertisement
Winning ties into it. Winning brings in more money and more people who want to be a part of that. Clemson and fsu under jimbo are the prime example.
This is honestly the weirdest debate I've probably ever seen in this board's history. If anyone has said winning isn't part of the equation, as I've repeated in nearly every post, they're nuts. And, if anyone can't acknowledge we've WAY underperformed through 4 coaching staffs, they're delusional. I feel the same, in reverse, about anyone not acknowledging the current landscape of "protected programs." It's not even that big of a deal. It just is what it is.

We wont get most... but we will get our share. I tried to explain for awhile how we are viewed nationally. One season where we showed out because of our defense doesnt erase that especially when you follow that up with what we did. Need to make winning consistently a normal expectation here. With how were built now I think that should be pretty easy. We arent ready for another ring but we can easily win in the acc. Clemson can be beat as well. Only teams were flat out not built for right now have dominant front sevens like ours. Matter of fact better than ours. We gotta fix the interior on both our lines and were good.
You not high on ford and nesta?

This is honestly the weirdest debate I've probably ever seen in this board's history. If anyone has said winning isn't part of the equation, as I've repeated in nearly every post, they're nuts. And, if anyone can't acknowledge we've WAY underperformed through 4 coaching staffs, they're delusional. I feel the same, in reverse, about anyone not acknowledging the current landscape of "protected programs." It's not even that big of a deal. It just is what it is.
There are a few people on here who believe winning doesn't matter and that all it's about is paying recruits.

Advertisement
Actually I did. I went to Miami from 90-94 and been a season ticket holder and avid follow of the program since the 80's.

Every one of those players was likely paid/given extra benefits by Miami which we can no longer do while at the same time all those $EC programs used to pay and obviously continue to pay.

It still proves my point that out of all of the great players that came through Miami from 2000-2005 that the only south FL guys (even counting Palm Beach Cty which was not considered an extension of Dade/Broward like it is today) that were real 5* rated type players were ....

Johnson
Hester
Willie Williams
McGahee (top 50 but not sure if considered 5*)
Charlie Jones

The reality is that your "win and they will come" mantra will apply to the 4* south FL guys but the 5* guys we will continue to regularly miss on b/c of the ca$h.

The 4* south Fl guys have been go enough to win.

The reality is there is no silver bullet. Playing the bag game is not an option nor is it a guarantee. Just ask U Miss or Gene Autry (who attempted to out-Steinbrenner Steinbrenner in the late 70s). We have to have a scheme that can beat the Bamas and Clemsons (like JJ did against Nebraska and Oklahoma). We have to be spot on with our evaluations of 4*s that can execute the scheme. Then we have to coach them up to execute it.

We miss on anyone of those, then we lose.

The problem with most under the radar players is that they are not like Greg. Sure there are a ton of 3 star football players that are long and skinny, that don't really stand out because they didn't go to camps and don't look physically like a college football player yet. But then they go to college and while they get to a good size and finally learn how to truly play their position, they are not stars and most are just JAGs. You can take 10 each class and more than likely only 1 or 2 will work out and be an impact player. To win championships you can't take those odds.

Just look at the last 10 years of Miami football, we have been living off of these 3 star players that just need a bit of development and will become stars. There have been so many reports by coaches and even Miami reporters saying that we got a steal in a 3 star recruit, that once he gets on campus and adds weight he will be a start. Recently, Robert Knowles and Mike Smith were suppose to be just that. Practically all our DTs from the Al Golden era were that, as well as, the OL since then. The fact of the matter is that you will more than likely get an Larry Hope and Robert Knowles type player than you are to get a Greg or RJ McIntosh.

You could of course blame the evaluations, but lets be honest it is near impossible to accurately judge who will become stars based on potential. It will be near impossible for any coach to be even near 50% accurate on their predictions.

Now some of you will state, "But look at the draft and all these players that go to small schools and were lowly rated," while that is true most of those schools have 84 other players that looked just like him as a recruit, that didn't turn up to do anything.
Did you read what I said in any other comments? Actually the history of our program was built on the guys you seem to think are aberrations. Our staff needs to be capable of doing their jobs and developing these kids. Otherwise put them out to pasture. Cause our reality IS theres alot more kids like Greg than you seem to think (which u go on to point out in ur second paragraph) reality is kids arent built the same. Not physically or mentally. If your staff knows the blue print to look for you'll hit plenty often. That's university of Miami football. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Evals and talent development is pivotal. Both have been lacking for quite awhile. That's what happens when you employ people that are so clearly the opposite of this in nature at any point in life.

There are a few people on here who believe winning doesn't matter and that all it's about is paying recruits.
Yep. That's why it is so weird. It all matters. How the **** could it not?

Yep. Fix the interior OL AND bring in good quarterbacking. We might have the quarterback(s) we need now. We'll have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back