Don Chaney Quote...

Catching is mental. Catch on the jugz all day.
4th down on Thursday night prime time single man press coverage on the field side is another story.

TRUE but...

Physical attributes also can help and hurt someone's catching ability. For instance, having hands the size of cat paws or as hard and inflexible as wood wont be helped by your mentality.

Advertisement
This kid is different. His work ethic and mindset has been instilled into him from his dad. D money has spoken at length about where he comes from

Advertisement
This thread is unfortunate for Pope and Wiggins. As adults we should know better and not resort to name calling. These young men are still on Miami's football team and from what I understand they are above average students in the class room and both are on schedule to graduate and they both are very much active in the community. I guess those things doesn't matter anymore.

More important to continue to focus on the negatives which allows grown men to talk **** about these standup young men. One poster called them "slapdicks"? C'mon man...Smh

I understand constructive criticism, but some dudes in this thread seem to be taking things too personally.

Lots of parents, friends, relatives AND TEAMMATES on this site.
Good points. No need to be unkind... especially to kids on the team putting in effort.

Just a note that there’s a long story behind the Slapdick comment though as it pre-dates you being on here as that poster has recently returned from a long ban and calls himself that too. It’s literally the word he’s known for. This is how I welcomed him back in another thread. It’s a running joke in that thread. Not saying it’s right because of appearances but that it’s more of a joke than anything.

B7E85453-A19F-45B3-A9FC-B9CFDBA3917A.gif

Khalil Jones practically lived with the jugs machine. Didn't matter. He didn't have the hand eye coordination and in his case he was stiff as a board. He got in and out of his breaks like a freighter in the Suez. In Pope's case I do think it's mostly mental.

I've yet to see anything out of Pope that makes me think he's going to make it to the next level. Wiggins and Harley can at least make a big play on occasion. But Pope? He misses some catches that hit him perfectly in the chest...on a 7 yard pass.

Maybe it's impolite to call players out by name, but I really don't care.

A 7 yard pass that is in between the numbers, in Power 5 football, you catch those balls 99% of the time.

Who would you rather have as the #1 - Ethnic Sands, Kevin Beard, or Pope?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Great story on Don Chaney today.

Well since I can't readthe article I figured I'd paste the opening which to me is huge!!

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — Nick Soto has trained Todd Gurley and Alvin Kamara, worked with former University of Miami running backs Gus Edwards, Mike James and Graig Cooper and tracked the development of second-year Hurricane Don Chaney Jr. since he was a sophomore in high school.

In Soto’s eyes, when it comes to the weight room and physical gifts, it’s Chaney who is “way ahead of all of them.”

shocked baby GIF

There was this movie I saw many years ago about a New Giant lineman.

He was right out of college but was to big according to NFL standards .

In his parents back yard he planted a huge corner wood fence post cemented it into place then began hitting it off a three and four point stance with NO PADS every waking moment just taking a break to eat drink and sleep.

He did this for many months even during his free agent tryout for the Giants.

During drills coaches noticed he was driving sleds all over the field with a bunch of players riding it no sign of exhaustion.

Plus players were complaining he felt like concrete when they it hit him .

Anyway he made the team and All Pro , it escapes me to this day his name or the true story movie.

The point is he chose to train like no other to be like no other no fanfare no press just bloody days and nights hitting that wood fence post all day all night .

The road less traveled

Now he signs autographs as an NFL alumni .
After less than five minutes listening to Manny Ramirez describe a "powerful documentary" about a son who struggles to take over his father's business, Dodgers teammates concluded that the perennial all-star was actually talking about the 1995 Adam Sandler comedy Billy Madison. "I kind of figured it was Billy Madison when Manny started talking about 'the bad man' who tried to take the company from the opera singer from Saturday Night Live," teammate Mark Loretta said. "And when he said the most interesting part was learning that penguins can 'grow to be as tall as men,' that pretty much clinched it." Ramirez later told his teammates he was looking forward to a new documentary about the auto industry, in which an overweight man and a skinny man travel across America in an attempt to sell brake pads.

Advertisement
Back