NFL Dolphins draft plan

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
6- Chase or Pitts or trade down with Denver. Somebody has to be going after these QBs, they are too talented.

18- Jaelen Phillips, Greg Rousseau or Zaven Collins. Give me big freaks who play hard and produce. All three of these guys have the versatility to excel in this system.

35- Najee Harris is a rare combo of size, elusiveness and receiving ability. I wouldn't even be mad at 18. Elijah Moore is a stud who gives us needed separation ability. Liam Eichenberg is a Top 20 talent IMO with bend and IQ. He can replace Hunt at RT and provide insurance for Austin Jackson. Joe Tryon and Payton Turner are the pass rushers I like here if we don't pick one at 18. They play hard and have NFL length/athleticism.

50- Dyami Brown is a downfield option here, he profiles as a real good complementary receiver. Quinn Meinerz is also an option at C after showing off for our coaches at the senior bowl. Jevon Holland and Divine Diablo are different but versatile safety options.

3rd and 4th round- Michael Carter has the suddenness and running style to hit NFL holes. Trey Sermon is a Najee-lite in terms of size and footwork. Khalil Herbert is more of a Shanahan-style runner but has underrated track speed and big-play production. Amon-Ra St Brown and Amari Rodgers are quick, smart and strong slots who should be dependable pros. Brevin Jordan is slipping because of interviews but I think he is a better football player than Njoku and Herndon.

There are a lot of good LB options but Chazz Suratt has unique instincts and fluidity. Baron Browning is a physically gifted system fit. Josh Myers is a people-mover with quickness (4.4 shuttle) and rare strength at C. He can also play G. Ben Cleveland and Trey Smith are strong, smart maulers who fit the mold of the current OL. I've been driving the James Wiggins bandwagon since his sophomore year of HS so no need to stop now.

7th round picks : Jake Funk, RB, Maryland. He had injuries but tested like a top athlete and is a great special teamer. He opened my eyes with 221 yards against Minnesota. Buddy Johnson from Texas A&M as an active and athletic ILB with leadership.

Advertisement
Was this purposely posted after they trade away Flowers? There's more reason to take RT/C than ever before. The only long-term answers are Hunt and maybe Kindley as of now. First three picks have to be WR, EDGE, OL or WR, OL, EDGE

Would love the Surratt pick! I think the guy is the second coming of jesus at nickel backer.

However, I think cat is 24 years old, which naturally sinks his stock.. Brian Flores has picked multiple older players at MIA and NE.

the dolphins are in prime position to make more trades and cash in majorly.

-I would envision the Dolphins are looking for a slight trade down, and have probably targeted Carolina at 8 and Denver at 9 to do so.

-if the first five picks comprise four QBs and Sewell, I would expect the Dolphins to trade down, knowing whoever moves to 6 would be taking the 5th QB. if the dolphins moved from 6 to 8 in this scenario, they would still have at least 3 out of 4 of the top group of pass catchers (chase, pitts, smith and waddle) available to them. if the dolphins moved from 6 to 9, they would still have at least 2 out of 4.

-if the first five picks comprise three qbs, pitts and chase, i would envision the dolphins pounce on smith.

-likewise, the 18th pick has potential for significant value, either if one of the top 5 qb's drops, or if the dolphins have knowledge that a team is high on a 6th first round qb (e.g. mond or mills). in this case, being directly ahead of washington and chicago, i could see the dolphins trading down to a team like pittsburgh or new orleans that wants to jump the order for a qb, and snagging future first-round compensation.

Advertisement
Trading Flowers now is a smokescreen IMO. I don't see us taking a tackle early so I think we plan on trading back and then take one of the Bama receivers. After that? I would like to see us use capital to move up for Parsons. I actually saw this somewhere and liked it.

Atlanta taking Pitts is a downer because they have so many more pressing needs they would be fools IMO. Ditto for the Bengals taking Chase... However, let them do it and then just move down if you can.

Unlike previous years I think RB's will go early because of the needs for teams in the 20's. For a couple it is their only need.

Amon-Ra is a complete beast. Steal if he goes that late. I can see Gruden and Mayock picking him up.

6- Chase or Pitts or trade down with Denver. Somebody has to be going after these QBs, they are too talented.

18- Jaelen Phillips, Greg Rousseau or Zaven Collins. Give me big freaks who play hard and produce. All three of these guys have the versatility to excel in this system.

35- Najee Harris is a rare combo of size, elusiveness and receiving ability. I wouldn't even be mad at 18. Elijah Moore is a stud who gives us needed separation ability. Liam Eichenberg is a Top 20 talent IMO with bend and IQ. He can replace Hunt at RT and provide insurance for Austin Jackson. Joe Tryon and Payton Turner are the pass rushers I like here if we don't pick one at 18. They play hard and have NFL length/athleticism.

50- Dyami Brown is a downfield option here, he profiles as a real good complementary receiver. Quinn Meinerz is also an option at C after showing off for our coaches at the senior bowl. Jevon Holland and Divine Diablo are different but versatile safety options.

3rd and 4th round- Michael Carter has the suddenness and running style to hit NFL holes. Trey Sermon is a Najee-lite in terms of size and footwork. Khalil Herbert is more of a Shanahan-style runner but has underrated track speed and big-play production. Amon-Ra St Brown and Amari Rodgers are quick, smart and strong slots who should be dependable pros. Brevin Jordan is slipping because of interviews but I think he is a better football player than Njoku and Herndon.

There are a lot of good LB options but Chazz Suratt has unique instincts and fluidity. Baron Browning is a physically gifted system fit. Josh Myers is a people-mover with quickness (4.4 shuttle) and rare strength at C. He can also play G. Ben Cleveland and Trey Smith are strong, smart maulers who fit the mold of the current OL. I've been driving the James Wiggins bandwagon since his sophomore year of HS so no need to stop now.

7th round picks : Jake Funk, RB, Maryland. He had injuries but tested like a top athlete and is a great special teamer. He opened my eyes with 221 yards against Minnesota. Buddy Johnson from Texas A&M as an active and athletic ILB with leadership.
I'd add in the Miss. State RB to your list of later round values. I told you offline I'm a big Teven Jenkins fan. If he's there at 35, I think he's real value. Despite some flaws, I like Andre Cisco's potential in the NFL. Kendrick Green keeps popping up for me as someone of later round value in my mock drafts. Where Ty Campbell is falling, I think he's got real value. i'm with you on Dyami Brown, but he seems to be going up a lot. Osa Odighizuwa is another possible DL value. It's a shame the Phins don't have a need for a Nickel Corner, because there are multiple future contributors there. I think Patrick Jones II has value in that 6th and 7th round range I've seen him appear in mocks.

najee harris at 18 would be a bad pick. we know the value of RBs. yes he looks like a freak but how many years do we need to see first round RBs not provide first round value. just wait until the second or third round. shore up the OL and it doesn't really matter who your RB is. we all know this.

seems like the dolphins might be looking at edge rusher at 18 but all the smoke has them on paye and ojulari... if they want phillips or rousseau they're being very quiet about it. dolphins hit on kindley i wonder if they go back to UGA. personally i've always thought rousseau was a great fit for flores' scheme, it doesn't call for edge benders to begin with and he has the versatility to play across the line. ogbah had a huge season as a big DE, i just see greg fitting in nicely. maybe he'll be there in the second round, at this point it seems like 18 would be high from him just based on the rumors about his stock.

for me, the first pick needs to be chase, pitts, sewell or a trade down. picking waddle would be a horrible understanding of value with that pick, and i don't think he's a great fit with tua either. the dolphins do need a slot field stretcher but if you're picking the guy at 6 you need to have a QB with a herbert level arm who is going to be constantly challenging downfield. the dolphins have a brees-like QB and need to take the saints' approach of finding cheap speed while most of the targets go to the X receiver, TEs and RBs

at 18 they should be in good position to get an edge, OT, LB or even CB if surtain or horn somehow slip, which doesn't seem likely but crazier things have happened. personally i would go sewell at 6 and a WR at 18, flipping it is also a bad understanding of draft value imo but seems like the dolphins are intent on taking the pass catcher at 6. both edge and OT classes seem deep so i don't have a huge preference for one over the other at 18. parsons would be enticing if he's there, i don't think the other LBs are worth it at 18 -- again: value.

Advertisement
Waddle at 6.
Najee at 18. Maybe EDGE, but I can see yall getting v mad offline when the Dolphins take a non-Miami EDGE player like Ojulari or Tryon or some nonsense like that.

najee harris at 18 would be a bad pick. we know the value of RBs. yes he looks like a freak but how many years do we need to see first round RBs not provide first round value. just wait until the second or third round. shore up the OL and it doesn't really matter who your RB is. we all know this.

seems like the dolphins might be looking at edge rusher at 18 but all the smoke has them on paye and ojulari... if they want phillips or rousseau they're being very quiet about it. dolphins hit on kindley i wonder if they go back to UGA. personally i've always thought rousseau was a great fit for flores' scheme, it doesn't call for edge benders to begin with and he has the versatility to play across the line. ogbah had a huge season as a big DE, i just see greg fitting in nicely. maybe he'll be there in the second round, at this point it seems like 18 would be high from him just based on the rumors about his stock.

for me, the first pick needs to be chase, pitts, sewell or a trade down. picking waddle would be a horrible understanding of value with that pick, and i don't think he's a great fit with tua either. the dolphins do need a slot field stretcher but if you're picking the guy at 6 you need to have a QB with a herbert level arm who is going to be constantly challenging downfield. the dolphins have a brees-like QB and need to take the saints' approach of finding cheap speed while most of the targets go to the X receiver, TEs and RBs

at 18 they should be in good position to get an edge, OT, LB or even CB if surtain or horn somehow slip, which doesn't seem likely but crazier things have happened. personally i would go sewell at 6 and a WR at 18, flipping it is also a bad understanding of draft value imo but seems like the dolphins are intent on taking the pass catcher at 6. both edge and OT classes seem deep so i don't have a huge preference for one over the other at 18. parsons would be enticing if he's there, i don't think the other LBs are worth it at 18 -- again: value.
I am kind of with you on moving down if Pitts/Chase are gone and you don't plan on the OL until round 2. With that, I don't see Parsons being there at 18 so maybe they will need to get creative to move up? I just think on the edge I would be fine with JP, GR, and there are a few others all rated together so why settle on one at 18? I could actually see another trade down. If they do then maybe can use some of what they get to move up back into first round and grab players they want like RB...

If you are going to go CB then I would see if we can get a couple #1 out of somebody for Howard then I get it. If not wouldn't go CB that is next years problem since we can obtain day 1 starters this year at need positions. Didn't like the CB pick last year trading back into first round.

i really don't like the idea of waddle at 6. teams consistently fall in love with speed and up being the ones getting burned. we can just look back at recent history.

2020: henry ruggs over jerry jeudy, ceedee lamb and justin jefferson. jalen reagor over jefferson. both look like big misses. KJ hamler in the second round over chase claypool. doesn't look good.

2019: hollywood brown over aj brown, dk metcalf and terry mclaurin. mecole hardman over metcalf, mclaurin and diontae johnson. hollywood is a good player but you couldn't trade him for any of those three guys picked after him.

2017. john ross top 10 pick. complete bust. curtis samuel in the second round over juju smith schuster, cooper kupp, chris godwin and kenny golladay.

2014: sammy watkins over mike evans and odell beckham jr. whoops. paul richardson over davante adams and allen robinson.

2013: tavon austin top 10 pick over deandre hopkins, robert woods and keenan allen.

maybe jaylen waddle is the one who breaks the mold. i know he looks awesome. but history says that falling in love with speed is a fool's errand especially in the top 10, let alone in the top 6. if anything waddle has to be a target after a trade down and if someone else grabs him oh well, let trying to extract top 10 value from a player like that be their problem. you're probably better off drafting rashod bateman or terrace marshall later in the draft.

I'm not getting sucked into the hype, but I think Sewell is a top 3 prospect in this draft and I'd love him at 6, if we stay there.

I'd also love to see us get Harris later in the first round, so that we can get that 5th year option, use him well, and NOT re-sign him. I think that is the only realistic way to treat RBs, that you really want, these days. If you don't love one, wait until the later rounds, do the 4 year deal, and then move on. The returns on second contracts for Zeke, Gurley, etc. just haven't been worth it recently.

Also torn on E. Moore. We need a #1 outside WR and he won't be that but, if we are going with YAC and a more dink and dunk Tua, I think Moore has the chance to be highly productive. I also like Moore from Purdue, but his build and injury history make him not worth the draft spot he'll get...to me.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd add in the Miss. State RB to your list of later round values.

Great call, I totally agree. NFL twitch, good hands and tough. He's a pro.

i really don't like the idea of waddle at 6. teams consistently fall in love with speed and up being the ones getting burned. we can just look back at recent history.

If we stick at 6 and Chase/Pitts are off the board, we have to go Sewell over Waddle. Big > small. Look at the OTs that have been drafted first round in the past five years:

2016-Ronnie Stanley, Jack Conklin, Laremy Tunsil, Taylor Decker
2017-Garett Bolles, Ryan Ramczyk
2018- Mike McGlinchey, Kolton Miller
2019- Jonah Williams, Andre Dillard, Tytus Howard, Kaleb McGary
2020- Andre Thomas, Jalen Willis, Mekhi Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Austin Jackson, Isaiah Wilson

Stanley, Conklin, Bolles and Ramczyk are All-Pros. Tunsil is a Pro Bowler. Decker just signed a $70 million extension. Miller signed a $54 million extension. McGlinchey and Howard are in line for big money. Wirfs, Wills and Becton were all home-run picks and Thomas and Williams finished really strong.

The only real busts were Dillard and Wilson, the latter of which was a pure character deal. Tackles are safe bets in the first.

Great call, I totally agree. NFL twitch, good hands and tough. He's a pro.

If we stick at 6 and Chase/Pitts are off the board, we have to go Sewell over Waddle. Big > small. Look at the OTs that have been drafted first round in the past five years:

2016-Ronnie Stanley, Jack Conklin, Laremy Tunsil, Taylor Decker
2017-Garett Bolles, Ryan Ramczyk
2018- Mike McGlinchey, Kolton Miller
2019- Jonah Williams, Andre Dillard, Tytus Howard, Kaleb McGary
2020- Andre Thomas, Jalen Willis, Mekhi Becton, Tristan Wirfs, Austin Jackson, Isaiah Wilson

Stanley, Conklin, Bolles and Ramczyk are All-Pros. Tunsil is a Pro Bowler. Decker just signed a $70 million extension. Miller signed a $54 million extension. McGlinchey and Howard are in line for big money. Wirfs, Wills and Becton were all home-run picks and Thomas and Williams finished really strong.

The only real busts were Dillard and Wilson, the latter of which was a pure character deal. Tackles are safe bets in the first.

Dillard isn't even a bust...had a rough rookie season and then was injured with a bicep injury last season. He's still in line to start this year at LT for the Eagles and I think he'll breakout. His athleticism plays.

Wilson is really the only real deal bust...but was the player that probably shouldn't have been a first rounder.

OT is the safest bet in round one to get a good, usable player. Very few flat out bust and can't play.

Sewell dropping to somewhere between 5 and like 9 is crazy. Value for money there is big time. San Diego supposedly in play the moment he gets past 5, for a trade up.

I will say that Waddle should be a lot better than Ross, Austin, Ruggs, Brown and Reagor.

He's stronger and tougher than all but Ruggs, and he has much more quickness than Ruggs. He is a very talented player.

Advertisement
A couple credible mocks have Devonta Smith slipping to the teens.

If we draft Sewell, it might not take much to come up from #18 and get Smith.

Javonte Williams over/under draft odds is 42.5

Miami should draft him 36th. Spend 18 on EDGE and 6 unequivocally must be Pitts/Chase/Smith/Waddle. I just don't see them taking Sewell.

Advertisement
Back