Does the voting committee learn a lesson?

Using the nonsense rationale from this thread, Florida State should have been in the playoff, because they beat Michigan.

Four team playoff is plenty. Why should anyone care about a two loss Penn State team that lost its bowl game (for loss number three) making a playoff.

With an 8-team playoff...you'd have nonsense like USC and Florida State (two teams that are incredibly hot by the end of the season) meeting up in the championship game.

Advertisement
Using the nonsense rationale from this thread, Florida State should have been in the playoff, because they beat Michigan.

Four team playoff is plenty. Why should anyone care about a two loss Penn State team that lost its bowl game (for loss number three) making a playoff.

With an 8-team playoff...you'd have nonsense like USC and Florida State (two teams that are incredibly hot by the end of the season) meeting up in the championship game.

No, you'd have the teams that earned their way by winning their conference. Not who ESPN likes best. You deserve a title shot? Win your conference

In an 8 team playoff? FSU was #11 ....Infact...every team in the Top 10 looked like a top 10 team even in their losses...The only team that got beat bad were OSU and Colorado

If you extend the playoff to 8 teams (6 won't happen because too many would about byes) then you'll have 2-loss and maybe 3-loss teams in the playoff. By doing so you would absolutely ruin the best regular season in all of sports.

You mean to tell me you think Oklahoma deserved a shot at championship after getting worked by Houston and Ohio State? Or Michigan did after losing to both Ohio State and Iowa?

Had Penn State not lost to Pitt they definitely would've been in the playoff instead of Ohio State. Instead, a regular season loss matters and they miss the playoff.

Advertisement
If you extend the playoff to 8 teams (6 won't happen because too many would about byes) then you'll have 2-loss and maybe 3-loss teams in the playoff. By doing so you would absolutely ruin the best regular season in all of sports.

You mean to tell me you think Oklahoma deserved a shot at championship after getting worked by Houston and Ohio State? Or Michigan did after losing to both Ohio State and Iowa?

Had Penn State not lost to Pitt they definitely would've been in the playoff instead of Ohio State. Instead, a regular season loss matters and they miss the playoff.

Ohio State regular season loss to Penn State head-to-head should've mattered more. That's why everyone is complaining lol.

I thought even if Mich or OSU were beastly u had to give it to Penn state period even if they sucked. The giant were a wildcarn at 9-7 people complained n said one n done and they won the Superbowl. Win ur conference should be automatic bid period even if u lucked into it

Then nobody would schedule hard OOC games....just play a bunch of scrubs and get ready for Conference....sounds like high school to me

That's where the at-large team(s) come-in.

But the argument is win conference and you automatically get in....so if a team, lets say VT this year had beaten clemson you would want them in the playoffs with 3 losses?

4 team playoff is plenty. Name a #5 team you think could beat either bama or tigers. There aren't any. Its more about delusional fans who think they belong, aka Penn State, USC, Oklahoma, etc.

Advertisement
it's entirely possible to have two teams from the same conference and even the same division that might be deserving of being in the playoff. Winning your conference is a coincidence and not a qualification for playoff teams. Penn State had absolutely no case whatsoever for being in the playoff this year. They lost 2 games! Overall record is clearly the first thing that should be considered. No way you can put a 2 loss team in over a 1 loss team (providing they're in a Power 5 conference), especially from the same conference.

If you expand the playoffs to 6 teams then everyone will complain about being the 7th team and not getting in. The conversation isn't going to change just by expanding the playoffs. This even happens in the NFL whenever an 8-8 team wins their division and gets to host a playoff game, while some other 10-6 team misses the playoffs.

If you really want to get it right, it would take a major over haul. 6 conferences with 16 teams each. That's 96 teams out of the current 128. I'm sure it would be easy to find 32 teams that shouldn't be playing big boy football. Two 8 team divisions where you play everyone in your half and two from the other side, rotating every year. That way a player would get to play every team in the conference should they stay all four years.

That gives you 9 games and you could schedule whoever you want for the other 2 games. This would allow teams to schedule tougher OOC games as they wouldn't be scared of a loss, since winning the conference would be more important. Then you take the 6 conference champs plus 2 at large teams and viola, 8 team playoff. The remaining teams could still have the bowl season, provided they did away with about 15 of them. We don't need a Raycom Media Camellia Bowl. GTFOH with some of these bowls.

I know it's far fetched but hey WTH!

Penn State looks good... Should not have been *. Need to win your conference?

We just need an 8 team play off

I go back and forth on this because I feel like people will just keep wanting more and more. Next the call will be for 16. I like 4 but it does leave some to be desired. I heard some announcer mention a 6 team playoff where the top 2 teams get byes, maybe that is something to explore but I don't know. I generally like 4.

Advertisement

I go back and forth on this because I feel like people will just keep wanting more and more. Next the call will be for 16. I like 4 but it does leave some to be desired. I heard some announcer mention a 6 team playoff where the top 2 teams get byes, maybe that is something to explore but I don't know. I generally like 4.

If you go to 6, you are better off with 8. Why should anyone get a bye? With 8 you make someone play their way to the championship. Byes make no sense to me.

Also, there will always be an argument for who gets included in the playoff. But, I think someone who gets left out of an 8 team playoff has less room to argue than one left out of a 4 team. At some point you have to let it go. As for byes, we already have arguments over inclusion, just imagine the anger over who gets the byes.

You guys are not understanding the point at all.

You don't have to conclude that PSU should have been in the playoffs to think that OSU should NOT have been.

No one who doesn't play for their own conference title should make the playoffs. I think that is obvious.

If PSU deserved it, fine. If someone else did, fine. It's not a right of the Big Ten to have a team.

Advertisement
4 power conferences of 16 (absorb big 12 and ND)

Conference champs go to playoffs. You're essentially adding another round without adding another game.

the third? best team in the conference got thumped by Clemson.. why is the third best team in a conference in the playoff?

If you go to 6, you are better off with 8. Why should anyone get a bye? With 8 you make someone play their way to the championship. Byes make no sense to me.

Also, there will always be an argument for who gets included in the playoff. But, I think someone who gets left out of an 8 team playoff has less room to argue than one left out of a 4 team. At some point you have to let it go. As for byes, we already have arguments over inclusion, just imagine the anger over who gets the byes.

I see your point and I don't necessarily disagree. I was just conveying what I heard one announcer say, although, I will add he said byes are a byproduct of a team's strong regular season -- rewards teams for playing fantastic all year. Nonetheless, I agree with what you laid out.

I thought even if Mich or OSU were beastly u had to give it to Penn state period even if they sucked. The giant were a wildcarn at 9-7 people complained n said one n done and they won the Superbowl. Win ur conference should be automatic bid period even if u lucked into it

Then nobody would schedule hard OOC games....just play a bunch of scrubs and get ready for Conference....sounds like high school to me

That's where the at-large team(s) come-in.

But the argument is win conference and you automatically get in....so if a team, lets say VT this year had beaten Clemson you would want them in the playoffs with 3 losses?

An expanded playoff, yes.
Clemson would have been an at-large in an 8-team format anyway.
Something has to be done to take the human element out of who gets in.

Advertisement
Back