Does Dave Hyde know anything?

Advertisement
Big difference is that Zo has a 21 year career working in various positions in NFL team management .. the most recent before Seattle as VP of Player Personnel with a full administrative staff and responsibilities covering contracts, compliance, personnel matters etc. Neither Swann, Haden or Garrett had any comparable athletic program management experience .. period .. prior to assuming their AD posts.
I didn't present it as a negative. Just the fact that it's been done before. Mike Garrett hired Pete Carrol at USC in 2001. It's not always a bad idea to hire alumni.

Wrong .. they had 3 former players as AD's .. and went long terms. One had issues with the famous Reggie Bush $$$$

So how did Pat Haden work out? Let me tell u;

1. Lane Kiffin (fired at the airport)
2. Steve Sarkisian (AA Sponsored)
3. Clay Helton (Fired)

Lol.

Oh, & Mike Garrett:

1. Hired a washed up John Robison again, trying to recapture that 70’s early 80’s magic (failed)

2. Paul Hackett (failed)

3. Pete Carroll (a lot of success filled w/ vacancies)

Oh, did I mention the basketball program went on sanctions under his watch, as well?

Lol. Some of ya’ll respond to me like USC ain’t down the street and I don’t have ppl who are alumni in my phone book. Lol. JC

Advertisement
So how did Pat Haden work out? Let me tell u;

1. Lane Kiffin (fired at the airport)
2. Steve Sarkisian (AA Sponsored)
3. Clay Helton (Fired)

Lol.

Oh, & Mike Garrett:

1. Hired a washed up John Robison again, trying to recapture that 70’s early 80’s magic (failed)

2. Paul Hackett (failed)

3. Pete Carroll (a lot of success filled w/ vacancies)

Oh, did I mention the basketball program went on sanctions under his watch, as well?

Lol. Some of ya’ll respond to me like USC ain’t down the street and I don’t have ppl who are alumni in my phone book. Lol. JC
The Pete Carroll hire was so successful that it dwarfs the other stuff. I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

The Pete Carroll hire was so successful that it dwarfs the other stuff. I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

If Mike Garrett is considered a successful AD for a literal shot in the dark hire, that turned out to set USC back for yrs, & can’t claim accolades accomplished, have at it. If that’s the narrative ppl wanna use to justify hiring an inexperienced alum to run The AD, I’m all for it. Just remember, that shot in the dark took almost 10 yrs to come to fruition.

Edit, I wouldn’t mind Zo eventually becoming AD, but I would prefer he worked under an experienced, successful AD, or if he were to be AD, having a successful asst AD under him.

If Mike Garrett is considered a successful AD for a literal shot in the dark hire, that turned out to set USC back for yrs, & can’t claim accolades accomplished, have at it. If that’s the narrative ppl wanna use to justify hiring an inexperienced alum to run The AD, I’m all for it. Just remember, that shot in the dark took almost 10 yrs to come to fruition.

Edit, I wouldn’t mind Zo eventually becoming AD, but I would prefer he worked under an experienced, successful AD, or if he were to be AD, having a successful asst AD under him.
Should Sam Janovich be crucified for hiring Dennis Erickson who set back Miami for probably much the entire decade of the 1990s? Most of the institution control problems were under Dave Maggard thereafter who was a very experienced AD from Cal. The POS also dropped Men's Golf and Men's Swimming which were flagship programs for Miami.

If that is the metric than Tom Jurich should be out, no? He made be cleared but the basketball program and Pitino are not.

BTW, I agree with you, but there are no guarantees in this business. Yes, I would love for Miami to swing for the fences and hire Jurich. He is worth the risk.

Should Sam Janovich be crucified for hiring Dennis Erickson who set back Miami for probably much the entire decade of the 1990s? Most of the institution control problems were under Dave Maggard thereafter who was a very experienced AD from Cal. The POS also dropped Men's Golf and Men's Swimming which were flagship programs for Miami.

If that is the metric than Tom Jurich should be out, no? He made be cleared but the basketball program and Pitino are not.

BTW, I agree with you, but there are no guarantees in this business. Yes, I would love for Miami to swing for the fences and hire Jurich. He is worth the risk.

Brethren, Sam had a proven track record prior to Erickson. My reply was based solely on a poster saying USC hiring non experienced alumni and it worked for them, and that’s not true. Mike Garrett got lucky w/ The Carroll hire, b/c his two hires before that was trash; and even w/ The Carroll hire, accolades have been erased from the record book on both the football & basketball annals. So even giving Mike the benefit of the doubt, that run w/ Carroll was an anomaly, b/c his term prior to Carroll was a mess, & his fellow alumni successors proved to be a mess.

Advertisement
Brethren, Sam had a proven track record prior to Erickson. My reply was based solely on a poster saying USC hiring non experienced alumni and it worked for them, and that’s not true. Mike Garrett got lucky w/ The Carroll hire, b/c his two hires before that was trash; and even w/ The Carroll hire, accolades have been erased from the record book on both the football & basketball annals. So even giving Mike the benefit of the doubt, that run w/ Carroll was an anomaly, b/c his term prior to Carroll was a mess, & his fellow alumni successors proved to be a mess.
It is amazing USC would ever hire anyone with zero sports executive experience. I guess Pat Haden calling games counted for something.

It is amazing USC would ever hire anyone with zero sports executive experience. I guess Pat Haden calling games counted for something.

Their board of regents had this whole “USC man” mantra, as well, from what my boy told me. After the severe scrutiny that came along w/ Swann from non-voting Board Members, & high profiled alum/donors, I think a light bulb came on to say “we don’t need a Trojan Man (no pun intended) to lead us. Let’s hire the best AD w/ a track record of success.”

Some schools are so prideful w/ their selections, that they become narrow minded in hiring guys w/ ties. The UNC b-ball program is like that; they tend to hire guys who played there or coached there. It literally narrows ur options & good candidates can fall by the wayside.

No disrespect but that is just a dumb comment.

He was the baseball coach for 20+ years and won 5 national titles.

How does being an alum have absolutely anything to do with it? He was a baseball coach with no AD experience and hired two national championship winning coaches (Saban and Miles).

How is it a dumb comment? It was said that LSU hired an alum. I said they didn't. Bertman is a Miami alum. End of story.

Advertisement
Thank u for bringing up Mike Garrett, who was trash up until Pete Carroll, & the program became the center of a scandal, in which he was fired. U’re right, my fault.
Also not like the business, size of ADs, compliance has changed at all since then. Totally the same size and scope.

How is it a dumb comment? It was said that LSU hired an alum. I said they didn't. Bertman is a Miami alum. End of story.
b/c its splitting hairs and could easily be argued that Skip having a statue on campus and being a 5x national champion at LSU makes him MORE of an insider at LSU than any simple former letter winner LSU alum could ever be.

Advertisement
Carroll was his fourth choice at that.

Advertisement
Back