Do you think Butch is kicking himself?

When Richt finishes his coaching career here at UM he will be the be the best coach ever. You can see it now with the foundation that he is laying. Miami will be stacked with talent for years to come. I believe when MIA, FSU and FLA are all strong again Saban will retire. Remember Saban and others didn't when those NC's until all three Florida schools were down.

I hate Saban, Florida and FSU as much as the next guy, but wtf are you talking about? Florida won 2 in the 3 years right before Saban got his first at Alabama and FSU won in 2013.

I said when all three Florida schools are strong. That means that over 90% of the state top talent stays home Bama didn't win jack. When all three were strong one of the three were in the NC hunt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How quickly some of you forget that Saban made the same "mistake" that Butch made. Left a good team for the NFL then came back to college football after getting beat. Some people are Saban. Some people are Spurrier. Butch was Spurrier.

Butch would be the greatest in history. Saban's run has nothing on what Butch did here. Butch won something like 4 NCs here in 6 years.

Win a NC or two? Yes, but he would not have done what saban has done and that is because of our administration. Shalala would have not given money for him to field a great staff. That being said I still believe we would have been a 10 win team year in year out.

What? Do you not know the coaches on that staff? That coaching staff has proven to be the best of the past two decades.

Advertisement
I can't believe the greatest coach of all time can't get a sniff at a job. It's like Vince Lombardi is just sitting there in his prime picking his nose getting 2 shifts per week as a fill-on on an obscure satellite radio station.

Butch staying vs. the USC and Tebow era's would of been epic.....

If Butch swallowed his pride he would be a HC again. He should take a HC job at a lower profile school with a good recruiting base like USF or UCF. Or even take a DC job which will put him back in the game and HC job at a top program within two or three years. He just haven't come to grips with how much the NC scandal has cost him and his career as HC on the college level regardless of his involvement or not.

Advertisement
I can't believe the greatest coach of all time can't get a sniff at a job. It's like Vince Lombardi is just sitting there in his prime picking his nose getting 2 shifts per week as a fill-on on an obscure satellite radio station.

tumblr_inline_o8219rhX4j1qmaqn5_500.gif

It's no secret you're vehemently anti-butch

however, can YOU explain how that man built that team.. that era, as fast as he did literally as soon as miami got off probation?

Advertisement
Strange that college programs will regularly hire coaches who have tarnished reputations, a la Bobby Petrino, so long as they think the coach can win, yet no one is knocking on Davis's door. Makes me think that there is more to the UNC academic scandal than is publically known (despite the letter of exoneration).

Advertisement
The UNC scandal killed Butch's career. I do think his age now plays a factor. He won't sniff a major Power 5 job. If he wants to coach again it will be at a lesser program, and because he loves to coach.

The UNC scandal killed Butch's career. I do think his age now plays a factor. He won't sniff a major Power 5 job. If he wants to coach again it will be at a lesser program, and because he loves to coach.

I agree. Even if it weren't for the scandal I think his age would prevent him from getting very many head coach offers now.

And seriously what is the rationale to call Butch an all time great coach? Basically some totally unprovable hypothetical from canesinsight posters that he would have created the biggest CFB dynasty ever, won 10 NC, and prevented Pete Caroll from accomplishing what he did?

I agree. Even if it weren't for the scandal I think his age would prevent him from getting very many head coach offers now.

And seriously what is the rationale to call Butch an all time great coach? Basically some totally unprovable hypothetical from canesinsight posters that he would have created the biggest CFB dynasty ever, won 10 NC, and prevented Pete Caroll from accomplishing what he did?

I was worried about you as I hadn't seen you on here lately. I almost had milk cartons printed up with your avatar so welcome back. That said, what does Butch have to do with Pete Carroll...or is it just a Footballhelmet thing, I wouldn't understand???

You have to consider that Butch may have been the greatest recruiter and eye for talent ever, but he was less than spectacular at coaching the talent up. If you disagree with me look at his records from 95-99.

If you look at the 1999 roster it is beyond absurd that Butch lost 4 games with that team. I also don't think there was a lot of excuse not to win the 2000 NC with the talent on hand. (No matter how much the BCS did a ***** job.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back