Do you think Butch is kicking himself?

Samson Doyo

Junior
ESPN just did a piece on Saban saying he is the best college ball coach ever. They comped his numbers versus Bear Bryant and Bowden. Although he will never have their overall numbers his national championships and players drafted with eligibility left are much more impressive. All that said, do you think if Butch stays that he's the guy being discussed? I do. What Butch built and could have created would have been even more dominate that what Saban has done. He stays in Miami with the local talent and his eye for spotting/developing talent I think we have 10+ Natl Championships and the playoff would have been created 5yrs earlier than it was with us still dominating. Keeping his staff together or maintaining the high quality that it was would be the only question in my opinion. As Canes fans do you think that would have been the case?

I'm not asking the question because I don't like Richt or think he won't get us some Natl Championships, I do. Just curious?

Go Canes!

Advertisement
ESPN just did a piece on Saban saying he is the best college ball coach ever. They comped his numbers versus Bear Bryant and Bowden. Although he will never have their overall numbers his national championships and players drafted with eligibility left are much more impressive. All that said, do you think if Butch stays that he's the guy being discussed? I do. What Butch built and could have created would have been even more dominate that what Saban has done. He stays in Miami with the local talent and his eye for spotting/developing talent I think we have 10+ Natl Championships and the playoff would have been created 5yrs earlier than it was with us still dominating. Keeping his staff together or maintaining the high quality that it was would be the only question in my opinion. As Canes fans do you think that would have been the case?

I'm not asking the question because I don't like Richt or think he won't get us some Natl Championships, I do. Just curious?

Go Canes!

Butch chose his path. A path he can live with.

Of course he's kicking himself. He chose to chase the $ and figured it would be easy to win anywhere. It wasn't easy and when he was close to building another dominant program a scandal broke that he will always be linked to, whether he likes it or not. Butch will go down as a great coach with an amazing eye for talent that only UMIAMI and UNC fans are aware of. Sad but he did choose his own path

Absolutely... Same with Howard S. as well .... But I've said 1000 times and will continue to say .. "If Butch never left Miami, there would never be a Nick Saban and Alabama " .... Early 2000 UM teams were so much more dominant in every aspect of the game it'll never be duplicated again ...... But **** happens ... We have Mark Richt now and National Titles will come

Advertisement
People forget butch never actually won anything as HC....dudes a bigger legend than that dog from the sandlot.

Butch stays, i dont USC has the run they had. from what people say, butch had an unparelleled eye when it came to finding talent.

Butch would've won some championships, but it's a guessing game to try to say how many....

At any rate, he should've played in the 2000 game, but we were robbed - and we would've clobbered Ok....

He had a fine career and followed his dream at the time to try his luck in the pros....There's nothing for him to be ashamed of....

Advertisement
Butch stays, i dont USC has the run they had. from what people say, butch had an unparelleled eye when it came to finding talent.

I actually never even thought about the whole USC run ..... God that would've been great football to watch ...

would've won back to back titles at least, i believe he would've had the team better prepared for ohio in the fiesta bowl

Absolutely... Same with Howard S. as well .... But I've said 1000 times and will continue to say .. "If Butch never left Miami, there would never be a Nick Saban and Alabama " .... Early 2000 UM teams were so much more dominant in every aspect of the game it'll never be duplicated again ...... But **** happens ... We have Mark Richt now and National Titles will come

I agree with 100% of this response.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
He would've won two, but look at Pete Carroll at USC. It's hard to maintain that level. As much as I hate him, what saban is doing is on another level

Howard S and Jimmy J.......way before Butch.

Agreed, it's crazy how bad we've be done by the $$ and ego. At least Jimmy made us proud. Howard got sold a bag of goods that didn't exist. Hopefully that kept him away from S Fla real estate deals.

Go Canes!

He openly says that he should have stayed. At that point, the NFL was always going to be an option. Win a couple, like Jimmy and then go. No one will remember Butch in 5-years. ****, at least Coker won one. They only remember the one's that won.

Advertisement
He would've won two, but look at Pete Carroll at USC. It's hard to maintain that level. As much as I hate him, what saban is doing is on another level

I think we stomp those USC teams and Carroll is not the Carroll he is now with Butch at the helm. I think the college ball landscape would have looked much different if he stays, but as other posters have pointed out and I agree with, same could be said for Howard and Jimmy.

Go Canes!

Go Canes!

He openly says that he should have stayed. At that point, the NFL was always going to be an option. Win a couple, like Jimmy and then go. No one will remember Butch in 5-years. ****, at least Coker won one. They only remember the one's that won.
LOL. No one will forget what Butch built under some of the worst sanctions to date

Let's just put it this way

with all those sanctions and pressure, in no time at all this man built the scariest team the NCAA has ever seen BY FAR

Advertisement
Back