Do you put Gray at RB now?

He is a running back. He has played wide receiver and did not look natural. He is a big, fast, powerful runner who belongs in the backfield.

Darren McFadden.
Absolutely agree. He will be stud RB! Amazing player. Praying he somehow can make it in.

Advertisement
How is it that some of you don't see RB in Gray's game?

He's got good size, stocky build (more like a RB than a WR) and he runs from the QB position a lot.

You guys have seen him tuck it and run have you not? How many passes have you seen him catch?

Kid looks like a natural running around and through people from the read option. Kid is a RB and will be a big back.

Why does Gray have to play next year? Why can't he RS?

Sorry, but no way is he Darren McFadden pt 2. Look at his tape, he makes a read then usually takes off, he is always in space. It's a lot different taking handoffs than running when you have the option to throw or handoff, I just don't see a RB

Looks to me like Darren McFadden running the wildcat.

He is a running back. He has played wide receiver and did not look natural. He is a big, fast, powerful runner who belongs in the backfield.

Darren McFadden.

And others have said he is the best WR in Florida if Carol City had a QB.

Advertisement
For being so physical, I didn't see him truck a single player in that video. He doesn't run with the body lean of a RB, he moves like a big WR. His running style is more conducive to the screen game

cordarrelle-patterson.jpg

He doesn't run with the body lean of a RB, he moves like a big WR. His running style is more conducive to the screen game

The same things can be said about McFadden. Gray runs high, but he runs strong and breaks tackles.

Gray had a good QB last year (Akeem Jones) and he wasn't overly productive at receiver. His big plays were either read-options or catch-and-runs. He can play receiver, but he is most comfortable with the ball in his hands.

Look at the catch at 1:45. A guy like Anquan Boldin attacks that ball. Boldin was Mossing guys as soon as he switched to receiver. I don't see those instincts in Gray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kySAuuCa4U

Advertisement
He doesn't run with the body lean of a RB, he moves like a big WR. His running style is more conducive to the screen game

The same things can be said about McFadden. Gray runs high, but he runs strong and breaks tackles.

Gray had a good QB last year (Akeem Jones) and he wasn't overly productive at receiver. His big plays were either read-options or catch-and-runs. He can play receiver, but he is most comfortable with the ball in his hands.

Look at the catch at 1:45. A guy like Anquan Boldin attacks that ball. Boldin was Mossing guys as soon as he switched to receiver. I don't see those instincts in Gray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kySAuuCa4U

His leans not perfect, but go look at Fournette....very similar. In The video he looks like a pretty **** good runner. Also, I think the staff has made it pretty clear they want another back in this class....so far I haven't seen any other offers go out. I've got to assume they view Gray as an RB at this point, and they must be somewhat optimistic he qualifies.

Or keep an eye out for some RB offers.....we'll see

This kid if qualified will make us forget about Cook. He might not be Cook but he is right there athletically

Blue raves about this kid

how fast is he? espn has him at a 4.66

He looked very fast this year. He was pulling away from defenses like Central.

That 4.66 is from a NIKE camp where Nigel Bethel (a sprint champion) ran 4.62.

Advertisement
i have to tell you, in his videos brandon powell also has amazing separation speed.

how fast is he? espn has him at a 4.66

He looked very fast this year. He was pulling away from defenses like Central.

That 4.66 is from a NIKE camp where Nigel Bethel (a sprint champion) ran 4.62.

Didn't 4.62 Nigel Bethel track down Cook last year from behind when BTW played Central? If Gray ran a 4.66 on the same clock then he's plenty fast.

Sorry, but no way is he Darren McFadden pt 2. Look at his tape, he makes a read then usually takes off, he is always in space. It's a lot different taking handoffs than running when you have the option to throw or handoff, I just don't see a RB

Looks to me like Darren McFadden running the wildcat.

I see that comparison, they have a similar size and speed. They kind of run alike as well...

Advertisement
Okay, so now if we move him to RB he's going to be the second coming of McFadden and he's Fournette as well? Sorry, I just don't see it. Kid runs like a big receiver, not like a RB. He doesn't really break tackles, but he does make people miss in space. Everything he does is in space, hence why he should be out wide. At RB you have to do almost everything in close quarters. Not knocking the kid but come on people look at his tape again. He doesn't run people over, he hits a lane and goes after he sees it. A RB feels where he needs to go before he sees it, thus making him a bigger project at RB than WR. We need a RB who can contribute next year and preferably allow Yearby to redshirt and Gray ain't that guy.

Last edited:

Darren McFadden.

So essentially he can be the bigger type back we lacked this year?

Advertisement
Back