Do you consider yourself someone [who prefers great offense or defense?]

Who likes watching great offensive or defensive performances?

The Bedlam cancelation made me ask myself this and I really don't have an answer today. In the past, it was defense as we absolutely dominated that side of the ball back in the day. Now, I would probably lean towards offense as you play can't the way we used to, but I love how defenses can frustrate offenses.

Thoughts?
I'll take watching 2019 LSU over 2021 UGA.

Advertisement
Depends on the team’s talent level and quality of coaching.

A high-scoring game where both defenses are outclassed by their opponent‘s offense can be entertaining. Big plays are fun to watch. But it’s not great football. Same with a low-scoring game resulting from poor offenses.

I prefer a game that is a great chess match, a clash of physical might. Games with an ebb and flow.

Ideally, both teams scoring in the mid-high 20s with both teams making critical plays on both sides of the ball.

Unless Miami is playing. In this is case a 50+ point margin of victory is desired.

Depends on the team’s talent level and quality of coaching.

A high-scoring game where both defenses are outclassed by their opponent‘s offense can be entertaining. Big plays are fun to watch. But it’s not great football. Same with a low-scoring game resulting from poor offenses.

I prefer a game that is a great chess match, a clash of physical might. Games with an ebb and flow.

Ideally, both teams scoring in the mid-high 20s with both teams making critical plays on both sides of the ball.

Unless Miami is playing. In this is case a 50+ point margin of victory is desired.
mid 20s? not in todays games w todays rules. you gotta be in the mid 30s to even be remotely successful as a team now.

I can enjoy both. The extremes of each side get boring, but a healthy middle can be fun either way. Gun to head, I typically would enjoy a watching a 35-33 game more than a 17-14 finish. As soon as I say that though I’m like, “man but defense is so fun to watch.”

I am a useless squish on this issue.
Get yourself a spine babydoll.

Advertisement
In general I would have to say defense however a high powered Canes offense is amazing to behold. In the end though a dominant bad *** Canes defense that smacks offenses in the mouth and shuts people down is one of the greatest pleasures in life.

I guess it depends on who’s playing because if its a low scoring game on some iowa **** where they’re clearly not trying to score and the offenses have zero creativity **** no, but if its just 2 teams playing chess and having a great battle with adjustments ill take either one but I would lean defense in today’s time because all the rules are for the offense

Last edited:
I guess it depends on who’s playing because if its a low scoring game on some iowa **** where they’re clearly not trying to score and the offenses have zero creativity but if its just 2 teams are playing chess and having a great battle with adjustments ill take either one but I would lean defense in today’s time because all the rules are for the offense
****kk that Iowa ****. nah man. thats just ineptitude

I’ve always been a defensive guy. I do like watching competent offense though. But when the rubber hits the road, I’m team defense.

Advertisement
Defense. Some of the greatest games ever played in CFB were tight Miami vs FSU games like Wide Right I. Those games had everything: high intensity, fighting for every inch, hard hitting, NFL bound players all over the field, great skill players on Offense. The final point total wasn't high (33 total points) with Miami winning 17-16 but those games were absolutely incredible. Intense, exciting and always came down to nail-biting finishes. Old big 12 games like Oklahoma vs Ok State that ended up like 51-45 with virtually no defense played absolutely stunk.

Miami revolutionized the passing game in CFB. We've had many incredible skill position players and they've had some indelible moments (Irvin vs FSU, Shockey vs FSU and McGahee's screen vs FSU are just a few). I love offense too but I'll still take a great Canes defense.

It should be a back and forth. Whenever possession changes, I dont want to sit on the couch thinking "Okay, getting a beer, by the time I come back, they scored seven".

Defensively dominated games are not great to watch and offensively dominated games are not great to watch either.

Advertisement
Whatever I don’t currently have. Under Lash I want better Defence.
Under Mario we are going to be crying out for more explosive offence.

I’m never satisfied.

Grew up a bears fan. There’s nothing better than a dominating defense. Nothing
I also prefer 80’s/90’s basketball. Fwiw The games and rules have changed. They both encourage scoring and physically protect the frail now. It is what is is. Guys like Lawrence Taylor and dennis Rodman aren’t welcome around here anymore. There’s a reason a guy like Draymond Green, 6’6”, can dominate defensively at the five.

Last edited:
My adult logic mind says defense. But, I think HS kids are more likely to play for teams that score points. I say that because offensive players are definitely not playing in a bad offensive scheme. But if the team is always in a shoot out, gives defensive players more snaps of game tape to showcase their “individual” skills for the next level. You’ll never win a natty, but you’ll stay relevant and in contention (here’s looking at you Oklahoma).

Advertisement
Who likes watching great offensive or defensive performances?

The Bedlam cancelation made me ask myself this and I really don't have an answer today. In the past, it was defense as we absolutely dominated that side of the ball back in the day. Now, I would probably lean towards offense as you play can't the way we used to, but I love how defenses can frustrate offenses.

Thoughts?
I would much rather watch a dominating defense...

Knowing that we just have to manufacture points because you simply cannot score on our defense, is a much more comfortable feeling than hoping our offense can score every time, because our defense cannot stop anyone.

Not to mention more mistakes happen offensively when you're forced to score every time.

The old saying it "defense wins championships" has been flipped on its head....so offense.

Would be fun to root for a team that wins 40-20 like Bama does almost every week. 17-9 was a boring *** game. I snored through the 4th quarter

Advertisement
Back