Do we see more 3-4 defense next year with Vernon leaving?

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
Seems like wth Vernon off to the NFL we are going to have to compensate for losing another DE, does that mean we play more 3-4 with Grimble and Chick at DE? Do we have the LB's to make this defense work?

Seems like Porter and Smith could hold up at NT, but LB and DE are the big question marks moving forward.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Our best four linemen are gonna likely be Porter, Ojomo, Chick, and Smith. I think a lot depends on how far along coaches feel Grimble, Pierre, and Luther R are in their development as well as what we can pull from JUCO. We're not exactly loaded with experienced depth at linebacker either.

Porter's health becomes even more important next year.

Geez if that kid could just stay friggin healthy.....

No....The coaches have already said Miami will be a 4-3 D with the flexibilty to be a 3-4 meaning the 3-4 will be secondary/situational.

Advertisement
No....The coaches have already said Miami will be a 4-3 D with the flexibilty to be a 3-4 meaning the 3-4 will be secondary/situational.

+1, not sure why people still haven't grasped this

This. Plus, we have a lot more experience/depth at DL than we do at LB even with Vernon leaving early. Who do we have at LB besides Perryman, Gaines and Cain who can actually play? And Gaines sucked most of the time.

At least on the d-line we still have Chick, Porter, Pierre, Grimble, Green, L Robinson, D Smith and Ojomo.

Advertisement
Link? Everything Ive read says were switching to a 3-4 when we get the right guys.....

Coach O and Coach Golden said as much numerous tims on wqam. I doubt you've read or seen Miami is swicthing to a 3-4 from the coaches anywhere. I'd bet you're getting your info from some misc blogger.

Link? Everything Ive read says were switching to a 3-4 when we get the right guys.....

Coach O and Coach Golden said as much numerous tims on wqam. I doubt you've read or seen Miami is swicthing to a 3-4 from the coaches anywhere. I'd bet you're getting your info from some misc blogger.

Both coaches have said this in several interviews. 4-3 is our base defense, with the option to change into other formations (one being a 3-4 look)

Both coaches have said this in several interviews. 4-3 is our base defense, with the option to change into other formations (one being a 3-4 look)

And losing our best DE in Vernon makes the potential of more 3-4 looks likely. Also note how I said would we see more 3-4 looks with the losses on the DL, not are we going to switch to a 3-4 exclusively.

Advertisement

And losing our best DE in Vernon makes the potential of more 3-4 looks likely. Also note how I said would we see more 3-4 looks with the losses on the DL, not are we going to switch to a 3-4 exclusively.

The 3-4 requires a huge NG and 2 285- 300lbs de's usually and 265lb's lb's or whatever. We don't have the personel to run a 3-4 especially at LB. I don't understand these baseless claims.

This! We are recruiting like they are going to a 3-4.

Well since it's been posted everywhere both of you should be able to provide a link to where the coaches make this claim?

The 3-4 requires a huge NG and 2 285- 300lbs de's usually and 265lb's lb's or whatever. We don't have the personel to run a 3-4 especially at LB. I don't understand these baseless claims.

That's not true, Grimble will be around 285, Chick is light but stout enough to handle DE in a 3-4, plus we have Smith and Porter in the middle. We have some pieces in place to play some 3-4 defense and I've said twice now we will be playing both defenses.

Advertisement

That's not true, Grimble will be around 285, Chick is light but stout enough to handle DE in a 3-4, plus we have Smith and Porter in the middle. We have some pieces in place to play some 3-4 defense and I've said twice now we will be playing both defenses.

lol at peices. you don't play a 3-4 with peices.

Pierre has enough athleticism to play end, illustrating the implementation of the 3-4 is well underway in Miami. He’s versatile and plays the run well. He’s undersized to play tackle, so a redshirt year to grow and learn the position might be the way to go.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/Individual_Team_blogs/Miami_Blog.html

Defensive end is a deep and talented position for the Hurricanes in 2011. With new defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio slowly installing a new look 3-4 defense, the Hurricanes will still base their defense this year out of the 4-3, playing to personnel strengths.

http://www.caneinsider.com/content/639-2011-positional-breakdowns-defensive-ends-part-1.html

I can post the Temple vids from youtube too where I can show yall 90% of there snaps on D are in a 3-4

Pierre has enough athleticism to play end, illustrating the implementation of the 3-4 is well underway in Miami. He’s versatile and plays the run well. He’s undersized to play tackle, so a redshirt year to grow and learn the position might be the way to go.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/Individual_Team_blogs/Miami_Blog.html

Defensive end is a deep and talented position for the Hurricanes in 2011. With new defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio slowly installing a new look 3-4 defense, the Hurricanes will still base their defense this year out of the 4-3, playing to personnel strengths.

http://www.caneinsider.com/content/639-2011-positional-breakdowns-defensive-ends-part-1.html

I can post the Temple vids from youtube too where I can show yall 90% of there snaps on D are in a 3-4

Bloggers? lol. Nothing from the coaches? fail. Again, the coaches said on wqam they'll be a 4-3 d with the flexibility to go to a 3-4 in certain situations.

Advertisement
Back