Do we really have the talent?

Hcane

Thunderdome
According to SB Nation, no team has won the BCS national championship with less than 50% blue-chip prospects on their roster.

Miami has 31%

FSU 56%(and climbing)
Bama 73%
Ohio St. 68%

Unless we close that gap, forget about winning an ACC championship against FSU, let alone a NC.

Advertisement
According to SB Nation, no team has won the BCS national championship with less than 50% blue-chip prospects on their roster.

Miami has 31%

FSU 56%(and climbing)
Bama 73%
Ohio St. 68%

Unless we close that gap, forget about winning an ACC championship against FSU, let alone a NC.

Define blue chip....

Miami has 31%

FSU 56%(and climbing)
Bama 73%
Ohio St. 68%

Define blue chip....
Sorry. They define blue-chip as 4-star or higher.

We don't have the talent to compete for a national championship, but we dam sure have enough to win the ACC. Three consecutive top 15 classes and we end up tied for last in the ACC Coastal, the worst division among the Power 5. This staff's recruiting is still very flawed, especially in terms of closing on elite talent in our backyard (i.e. Cook and Collins) and player evaluation. But there's no excuse to be this bad in Year 4.

Someone else posted that Miami wouldn't have qualified for an eight-team playoff in the ACC. That's staggering incompetence from Al Golden.

Advertisement
We don't have the talent to compete for a national championship, but we dam sure have enough to win the ACC. Three consecutive top 15 classes and we end up tied for last in the ACC Coastal, the worst division among the Power 5. This staff's recruiting is still very flawed, especially in terms of closing on elite talent in our backyard (i.e. Cook and Valentine) and player evaluation. But there's no excuse to be this bad in Year 4.

Someone else posted that Miami wouldn't have qualified for an eight-team playoff in the ACC. That's staggering incompetence from Al Golden.
To win the ACC, gotta beat FSU. They have twice as many blue-chip as us. But should have at least got to ACCCG.

You're forgetting the part about South Florida kids ROUTINELY out performing their recruiting ranking. I'm not going into the list, because you already know the examples.

The reality is that we, with like 2 or 3 bounces in our direction, had FSU dead to rights this year. We didn't lose because of talent.

We didn't lose to Louisiville, Nebraska, GT, etc because of talent.

We probably aren't talented enough to run the table, which you have to do out of the ACC to win a national title.

But we have enough talent to be in the Top 10 conversation. Ole Miss is not more talented than us. TCU is not more talented than us. Michigan State is not more talented than us.

And we would only strengthen our position if a greater percentage of the "head nodder" class filler kids we took were the underrated South Florida / State of Miami kids like Tony Jones...

You're forgetting the part about South Florida kids ROUTINELY out performing their recruiting ranking. I'm not going into the list, because you already know the examples.

The reality is that we, with like 2 or 3 bounces in our direction, had FSU dead to rights this year. We didn't lose because of talent.

We probably aren't talented enough to run the table, which you have to do out of the ACC to win a national title.

But we have enough talent to be in the Top 10 conversation. Ole Miss is not more talented than us. TCU is not more talented than us. Michigan State is not more talented than us.

And we would only strengthen our position if a greater percentage of the "head nodder" class filler kids we took were the underrated South Florida / State of Miami kids like Tony Jones...
We lost to FSU because of talent, sorry. Ramsey, Winston, Cook were the difference.

I'm not saying we are not under performing based on our talent. Just saying that it's not good enough.

Advertisement
I'll give you that we don't have Bama or FSU talent. But, we for **** sure have the talent to win the Coastal.

We lost to FSU because of talent, sorry. Ramsey, Winston, Cook were the difference.

I'm not saying we are not under performing based on our talent. Just saying that it's not good enough.

Meh, disagree. We lost to FSU because our 4 star QB had a 4 star receiver naked deep and missed him by an inch.

We lost because our 4 star backup tight end fumbled them the ball back at a key juncture.

We lost because our 4 star linebacker dropped an interception that would have killed a drive.

All blue chippers by your calculation.

And then on top of all of that, we lost because our coaching staff called the dogs off late.

Miami has 31%

FSU 56%(and climbing)
Bama 73%
Ohio St. 68%

My sentiments exactly but you better watch out you just told the truth to some of the guys.. They swear we have the talent of the glory days.

Advertisement

We did lose the Louisville game because of talent. Did you not see there D over the last two years.. Man for man better than ours.. We are better than them and everybody else defensively in one spot.. MLB Perryman ..

OMG not this s.hit again.

We have enough talent to dominate the coastal and get to the ACCCG.

Once we're there, we can definitely beat FSU or Clemson or whomever.

Talent is not the problem boss

Meh, disagree. We lost to FSU because our 4 star QB had a 4 star receiver naked deep and missed him by an inch.

We lost because our 4 star backup tight end fumbled them the ball back at a key juncture.

We lost because our 4 star linebacker dropped an interception that would have killed a drive.

All blue chippers by your calculation.

And then on top of all of that, we lost because our coaching staff called the dogs off late.
Good points.

Even though it seemed close, based on a couple of plays, to me we were never winning that game.

Had those plays been made, I think FSU would have responded and made more. They're just deeper and more talented with more difference-makers.

Another thing: I brought up the blue-chip thing just to point out the numbers gap.

This says nothing about who is really a blue-chip talent. We know the services get it wrong all the time.

In my view, most of Miami's top recruits were blue-chips based on HS performance, not on college and pro potential.

Advertisement

Miami has 31%

FSU 56%(and climbing)
Bama 73%
Ohio St. 68%

My sentiments exactly but you better watch out you just told the truth to some of the guys.. They swear we have the talent of the glory days.
Nice to see somebody dealing with the facts.

We did lose the Louisville game because of talent. Did you not see there D over the last two years.. Man for man better than ours.. We are better than them and everybody else defensively in one spot.. MLB Perryman ..

Again, point taken, but I disagree.

Their guys are more PRODUCTIVE than ours, but not more talented. That is coaching. And that is a key differentiation to make. Lousiville would trade defensive rosters with us TOMORROW, I bet.

Honestly the "we aren't as talented" excuse went out the window after last season.

And what is really sad is that we have more talent than these types of teams already, and that is without Golden recruiting to the strengths of South Florida.

Thats one thing Butch Davis was good at, finding Talent... he would grab a 2-3 star from South Florida over a 5 star f3om Texas because he could develop them.... most Texas recruits had the facilities in high school to already reach their goal or potential.... but that skinny 3 star with blazing speed and good skills

Advertisement
Back