Do we have a shot against FSU?

Advertisement
Without TVD, it's pretty unlikely, but they're favored by 8.5, not 28.5. It's obviously doable.

First and foremost, we have to stop the run. Which we're pretty good at, coincidentally. But everything FSU does is set up by their run game. They have 3 pretty good backs, although Ward is still probably questionable at best (he hasn't played since the NC State game). If he's out, it's a big plus for us. But Benson and Toafili are pretty good backups, especially Benson.

Slow down their run game, put them behind the chains some, and Travis will throw you 1-2 balls that you can take from him.

Another thing is we have to start fast, at least on defense. FSU has been really good with scripted drives early in games, and they've struggled mightily after halftime. If we can hold them out of the endzone on the first couple drives, it should give the kids a lot of confidence and give us a good shot to win. Slow down the run, make Travis beat you with his arm, and somehow, some way find out how to get the ball in the endzone. FSU's defense is significantly worse than their offense.

I hate to type that. But it looks pretty grim. Even if our D plays great, FSU can move the ball and score. Not likely to hold FSU to under 20. Based on what we saw Saturday, how do we get to 20 without cheap scores? Is it as grim as I think it is? Give me some hope. I am dreading Saturday.

Yes it’s college sports where kids get up and down for specific games and nothing ever goes as planned. Miami can win this game. Will they, who knows but they can.

I’ll never understand the FSU hype.
I'm not hyping them up. They're an unranked 5-3 team. That said, I call like it I see it.

FSU moves the ball. They're not a prolific scoring offense or anything but they move the chains. Travis is IIRC the least sacked QB in the ACC. His mobility turns a lot of would be sacks into either him throwing it away or scrambling to pick up a few yards. Conversely, I believe I saw today that some insane percentage of our running yards allowed is attributed to the QB. It's a mismatch in FSU's favor. So I think you can chalk FSU down to score 20 at least.

Based on what I saw Saturday, which was hardly a functioning offense, how does this offense put up 3 TD? We were struggling with TVD and averaging less than 20/game against P5. I hope I'm wrong but this is my come to Jesus moment.

If TVD plays, delete thread though!

Advertisement
Always have a chance in this rivalry. Players on both sides take their game to another level. FSU comes in over confident. I expect a war in the trenches.

Advertisement
Look for Travis to run right up the middle on a few back breaking 3rd and longs with Flagg playing deeper than our safeties as the "spy".
Flagg cannot be the spy. He doesn't have the athleticism. I'd guess we'll see some of those 3 safety combinations we saw a bit of early in the year with 24 and 15 in the back and 0 closer to the box.

FSU is 114/131 teams when it comes to penalties and penalty yards per game. Their average is about 8 and 69 yards per game. Miami does significantly better in those stats. Hopefully, a loud crowd and the rivalry can add to that. We actually are around the same in most of the categories in everything else, the only other that stands out is our run defense is much better.

I'm not hyping them up. They're an unranked 5-3 team. That said, I call like it I see it.

FSU moves the ball. They're not a prolific scoring offense or anything but they move the chains. Travis is IIRC the least sacked QB in the ACC. His mobility turns a lot of would be sacks into either him throwing it away or scrambling to pick up a few yards. Conversely, I believe I saw today that some insane percentage of our running yards allowed is attributed to the QB. It's a mismatch in FSU's favor. So I think you can chalk FSU down to score 20 at least.

Based on what I saw Saturday, which was hardly a functioning offense, how does this offense put up 3 TD? We were struggling with TVD and averaging less than 20/game against P5. I hope I'm wrong but this is my come to Jesus moment.

If TVD plays, delete thread though!
My comment wasn’t directed at you. CIS has been on their **** since LSU and I do not understand why. This is a very winnable game.

FSU is 114/131 teams when it comes to penalties and penalty yards per game. Their average is about 8 and 69 yards per game. Miami does significantly better in those stats. Hopefully, a loud crowd and the rivalry can add to that. We actually are around the same in most of the categories in everything else, the only other that stands out is our run defense is much better.

Everything else?

Have you checked a single one of their offensive numbers vs theirs?

They have a good offense. Well above average. Ours is dreadful.

Advertisement
animal-house-zero-point-zero.gif

All jokes aside, we did beat them with Kirby Freeman playing QB. That guy had a game where he completed 1 pass. 1 pass. 1 ******* pass.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
My feelings are yes but if TVD can play. I think the spot light will be way too big for Jake and like I said before, no confidence in Jake at all. Mario is going to have to coach the game of life, Gattis too, and we need to be penalty free. The FSU runners are very elusive and strong. If we miss tackles it's going to be a very long night.

A usual, I believe it'll come down to how well our OL plays. If they can open some holes for Parrish and at least give Jake time to complete some short passes - screens, bubbles, in the flats, etc. - we can beat those semeholes. Our D needs to eliminate or limit big plays and hammer Travis.

Contain Travis. Don’t let jump balls to the giraffe and Travis running be their winning offense.
Travis is talented and has our number, he will go deep often since we’re very vanilla in the secondary with no idea of rotating zones or how to camouflage anything we’ve never learned any of these things.

Travis will throw for 330 plus (2) TD he’ll score (2) himself.

So go ahead get butt hurt call names our secondary is SLOW we can’t run with them we think to much and thinking is the worst.

Our front (4) is very stout but will tire from all game long chasing Travis and can’t get off the field.

If anyone has been watching this team and passed performance verse Travis you can’t deny any of this.

And not supporting any of our QB’s doesn’t help especially boooing your team in the first quarter.

This has all the makings of getting ugly fast.

Everything else?

Have you checked a single one of their offensive numbers vs theirs?

They have a good offense. Well above average. Ours is dreadful.
Completion percentage Miami 62% FSU 61 %, Passing Offense Miami 290 ypg FSU 277 ypg, Rushing Offense FSU 209 Miami 132, Scoring offense FSU 32 Miami 27, Third Down Conversion FSU 49% Miami 42% (They made 52 we made 50) First Downs Miami 195 FSU 192, Time of Possession Miami 31 mins FSU 30, Red Zone Offense Miami 86% 31/36 FSU 76% 29/38 The only one that FSU is way above us is their Rushing offense but that is our defensive strength. Our Offensive Numbers are very similar we just can't score TDS.

Advertisement
Back