Do Coley / Cristobal Hirings Reflect New Philosophy by AG?

As I'm reading one of the posts regarding our remaining 2013 targets and the stockpile of local 2014 talent, I'm starting to wonder if the Cristobal and Coley hires reflect a shift in philosophy by Golden.

I think his initial staff was comprised of both recruiters and teachers, and some that do both well. It was, I think, a good mix. But then we lose arguably our top position coach, who, by all accounts, was a good technician and teacher, and we replace him with a dominant recruiter (especially locally), who, admittedly, is probably not a superb technician with TEs and we shift Carroll over to WRs, a position he has never coached. Overall, this is, I think, a fantastic move, though I would, with the addition of Cristobal, prefer a teacher at WR coaching spot.

Then, we lose our offensive coordinator--by all accounts, not a major recruiter (besides QBs)--and our first and only target is Coley, a recruiting juggernaut--again, especially in SoFla--with marginal playcalling experience (at FIU). Again, I believe a very good move, given how well-received it's been and, most important, that I trust AG and that this was his only target. But again, the recruiting impact here is maybe the bigger splash.

Has Golden perhaps realized that there is national caliber talent within Dade and Broward--the kind of talent that only requires us to leave the state for a few select spots--but that we haven't been doing a good enough job in coralling all that talent and keeping it here? Is he employing a Jimmys and Joes over Xs and Os philosophy, after seeing the abundance of local talent? Has he realized we didn't have enough local ties in recruiting to secure the top local kids, and were these hires--of monster recruiters in SoFla--his amazing way of fixing this problem?

I think this is the case. I think Golden sees that the talent here is off the charts, and that so long as he keeps the best kids at UM, we can compete for a BCS bowl year in and year out. Maybe once Golden has entrenched himself down here with the local schools, he doesn't need to focus on the recruiting angle as much in the future, but for now, I think he's staging a massive assault on the local recruiting scene as his central priority.

He may not have realized the effort it would take to lock down So Fla. And the sanctions plus FSU's hype and Alabama's success haven't helped.

But IMO it's not that simple. There is a ton of talent next year in So Fla. With Olson on board, and Treon Harris a likely next year's QB, it's two years before he needs a QB coach. Kehoe may not have that much time left. Carroll may move on. I'd expect a couple new coaches a year from now.

As far as Xs and Os vs. talent generally, I doubt AG thinks there's more talent here than he originally expected -- he had to know the talent level. And I doubt he thinks Xs and Os don't matter.

IMO Coley's a very well regarded rising star in coaching. Cristobal is a no brainer. Neither hire reveals much to me other than a best athlete approach to hiring by AG.

I think many of these comments are spot on, but I'll add that this strategic shift may also be largely motivated by the recruiting rule changes that will be taking place next year.

Advertisement
Good post. I think the big thing is that Golden wants guys who are like him. Relentless, smart, ambitious, personable and passionate. These guys are like triplets.

Golden made his name as a recruiter (he got the nickname Golden Al when he signed Ahmad Brooks), but the qualities that made him a great recruiter also made him a rising star coach. Cristobal and Coley seem cut from the same cloth.

Good post. I think the big thing is that Golden wants guys who are like him. Relentless, smart, ambitious, personable and passionate. These guys are like triplets.

Golden made his name as a recruiter (he got the nickname Golden Al when he signed Ahmad Brooks), but the qualities that made him a great recruiter also made him a rising star coach. Cristobal and Coley seem cut from the same cloth.

Right. It sort of harkens back to his "players first, then plays" line.

No.

If FIU doesn't fire Cristobal and Fisch stays we don't have either.

Just right place at the right time.

This has me thinking....if just a few weeks ago somebody would have told me that we are going to lose both McDonald and Fisch from the staff (arguably our two top offensive assistants) just weeks before NLOID...then said don't worry because we will genuinely be in better place after their departure, I would have told them to G.T.F.O.H.!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wow...

Think you're just reading into too much. And I'm sure both Golden and Coley would resent any notion that he's just a recruiter and not an X's and O's coach.

Advertisement
No.

If FIU doesn't fire Cristobal and Fisch stays we don't have either.

Just right place at the right time.

This has me thinking....if just a few weeks ago somebody would have told me that we are going to lose both McDonald and Fisch from the staff (arguably our two top offensive assistants) just weeks before NLOID...then said don't worry because we will genuinely be in better place after their departure, I would have told them to G.T.F.O.H.!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wow...

I think this is another testament to Golden. It shows that (so far) he has made brilliant coaching decisions time and time again. THis is why you can't worry about how long said assistant will be here. Golden drives the entire thing. We just need him here for the long term.

Golden is an animal, he wants to build miami back. He wants to be the guy who takes down the alabama dynasty. Coley, Cristobal, and Carroll are similar guys to him. They are aggressive. I think coley and cristobal are such strong recruiters, they don't get credit for their coaching abilities. I said on another thread a family friend's brother played at temple. He loves Golden and swears he will bring miami back. Also, said coach d is a great teacher and hard-nosed guy. He said "Franklin and Paul Williams are too." He was very high on paul williams. Anyway, I think are offense is going to be strong next year. Our Defense, I don't think we can blame Coach D because we looked small no matter who we played. This staff's first recruiting class is now juniors and sophmores. I anticipate Earl Moore, Corey King, McCord, etc will be much stronger. We didnt redshirt these kids so they are still filling out.

I think it's more situational and timing. Cristobal was almost too good to be true. Coley was a great recruiter but I don't think he's hired if he wasnt at FSU. Getting your rivals ace recruiter, offensive coordinator is a huge plus, so close to Nsd to boot

this is like the LSU model. Les is being on recruiting elite talent, developing talent and being pretty good in the fundamentals aspect of the the game.

Advertisement
Yup. I think one kid are on our team that is slept on is tyriq mccord. He had quite a few big plays and he was weighing 217. Imagine him with another 35 pounds. I pray Eddie Johnson stays out of trouble, I think in 2014 we should compete for a nc. We need one more good class.

Advertisement
Back