DMoney, LuCanes, Ariz

Am afraid if this program gets much worse (and I think a 2 or 3 win season this year may be the best we can do), the best players (Kaaya, etc.) we have will transfer and we'll be stuck with JAGS and nothing else.
Yeah, but we still get our share of the ACC revenue even if we are a sprinkle covered ****. Why try when you get paid anyway?

Been saying this for at least 5 seasons now. People need to understand that before movin to the ACC Miami football essentially HAD to be good so the athletic department could afford to funds it's other sports. Now? No necessity to be good. The nerds finally found a way to get around the reliance on football for revenue.

Advertisement
We have to wait for Donna's replacement or she will stick us with ANOTHER loser with 20 year contract. I think Al is candidate for mid-season firing but unless the AD has serious replacement ready to take over immediately in order to save the recruiting class, I will put up with loser Al and boyfriend for another year if I have too. That is how much I distrust Donna's intentions, motivations, and, or, ability.

LULZ@running Butch out of town. In the worst kept secret in the world, Butch had been looking to go back to the NFL early in his tenure as head football coach at UM. UM knew it as did every other school's AD. Unfortunately for Butch, he wasn't a very good game day coach so he didn't have any offers to be a head coach in the NFL. Then he began to assemble an awesome roster and build a monster team that won games, and as soon as he got that head coaching offer he split.

Unless Al loses 3 games in a row he will not get fired mid-season. Even then I don't know if he would. For as bad as he has been in big games, he has still done a lot of good off the field and I don't the the administration or BOT's would do that to him. Unless he makes drastic changes (whole new defensive staff) he needs to go.

Advertisement
Unless Al loses 3 games in a row he will not get fired mid-season. Even then I don't know if he would. For as bad as he has been in big games, he has still done a lot of good off the field and I don't the the administration or BOT's would do that to him. Unless he makes drastic changes after the season (whole new defensive staff) he needs to go.

Its absolutely amazing the lack of insight some of you have as it pertains to football and coaching. There are very few HEAD COACHES who call their own plays during a game. I can probably count them on one hand. BUTCH DAVIS never called his own plays, had nothing to do with the offensive side of the ball period. The reason you have an offensive coordinator is to do just that, install and run the offense, even on game day. After the first or second series of downs which are usually scripted, the Head Coach doesn't even know what plays are being run or going to be run unless someone tells him on the side line pre-snap. Jeezus come on guys

Butch isnt the best hire but hes the safest in a time of desperate need. We haven't been relevant in a decade. Our last 3 coaches have been terrible. Butch will probably not win a title but he will make us relevant again. He would have us competing for ACC championships every year.

Sad to see where we have fallen. We're so desperate even a trip to the ACC championship would make us happy.

I agree with the view that Butch is "safe"....but why can't we aspire for more than safe?

After reading this board the last couple of days I'm shocked at the selective amnesia or the fondness derived from the passage of time, that Butch benefits from in terms of the fanbase. He's not a good gameday coach, and I still think we should consider other options before settling on him.

This.

I'm not even convinced that Butch would have won a championship here had he stayed. He was a bonehead on game day. "Fire Butch" was heard from fans around the OB frequently. Short memories. That @as kicking by Syracuse was fun... And didn't Blandy beat Butch's team the last time they met 33-10 (or something like that)? There is a reason nobody has offered him a job.

Miami should go for someone like Jim Leavitt or Ruffin. Time to stop living in the past.

Turn the page.

How OLD are you?

YOU sure didn't hear UM fans on game days saying "Fire Butch." Maybe your grandpa mentioned the time when the 31 scholarship reductions kicked in.

Ask gramps about what fans were saying after we beat UCLA.

Leavitt or Ruffin? Time to grow up.

Funny. I was there and heard the chants loud and clear, were you? Here's a little trip down memory lane:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1998-11-29/sports/9811290353_1_syracuse-hurricanes-um

He was OWNED by Beamer and FSU - went 1-4 against both. His record vs ECU was 0-2 (not Ruffin's ECU either). With the exception of his last year here, he could only dependably beat Rutgers and Temple.

Time for you to grow up... or turn the page.

Agree that people tend to forget all the negatives about Butch. The panic attacks when facing important coaching decisions, the terrible clock management, calling consecutive timeouts before a play in the first quarter, calling a timeout following a delay of game penalty, the list goes on and on. There was a reason that his nickname was Botch.

People are hoping that he somehow replicates his once in a lifetime collection of talent, but there is a reason it was once in a lifetime.

Advertisement
I would love a NFL guy that is an expert on Defense. Miami's D has always been the common denominator in all of our success.

Unless my memory fails me, Butch was JJ's defensive coordinator at Dallas, and won two superbowls.

Is that enough defensive-minded siht for a coach?

Does winning two superbowls as the defensive coordinator meet your criteria?

LULZ@running Butch out of town. In the worst kept secret in the world, Butch had been looking to go back to the NFL early in his tenure as head football coach at UM. UM knew it as did every other school's AD. Unfortunately for Butch, he wasn't a very good game day coach so he didn't have any offers to be a head coach in the NFL. Then he began to assemble an awesome roster and build a monster team that won games, and as soon as he got that head coaching offer he split.

That's BS.

Utter BS.

You seem to have left a few things out.

Sanctions.
31 scholarship losses.
Butch didn't call offensive plays.
Butch didn't call defensive lineups.
Butch and the U had a contract, with the exception of the buyout.
The U dragged out negotiations two and a half months.
Butch already turned down an NFL job.
The Administration wanted an 80/20 buyout, Butch thought it would be equitable to have a 50/50.

It would help if you had a few facts, rather than spatter siht up against the wall.

I agree with the view that Butch is "safe"....but why can't we aspire for more than safe?

After reading this board the last couple of days I'm shocked at the selective amnesia or the fondness derived from the passage of time, that Butch benefits from in terms of the fanbase. He's not a good gameday coach, and I still think we should consider other options before settling on him.

This.

I'm not even convinced that Butch would have won a championship here had he stayed. He was a bonehead on game day. "Fire Butch" was heard from fans around the OB frequently. Short memories. That @as kicking by Syracuse was fun... And didn't Blandy beat Butch's team the last time they met 33-10 (or something like that)? There is a reason nobody has offered him a job.

Miami should go for someone like Jim Leavitt or Ruffin. Time to stop living in the past.

Turn the page.

How OLD are you?

YOU sure didn't hear UM fans on game days saying "Fire Butch." Maybe your grandpa mentioned the time when the 31 scholarship reductions kicked in.

Funny. I was there and heard the chants loud and clear, were you? Here's a little trip down memory lane:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1998-11-29/sports/9811290353_1_syracuse-hurricanes-um

He was OWNED by Beamer and FSU - went 1-4 against both. His record vs ECU was 0-2 (not Ruffin's ECU either). With the exception of his last year here, he could only dependably beat Rutgers and Temple.

Now this is just a full basket of asshattery and douchebaggery right here.

He was down 31 scholarships! Good God man, that was right in the middle of FSU's run and VT's only run at national relevance with Vick! And you're right, that wasn't Ruffin's ECU, it was David Garrard's ECU. Probably the best player they've ever had; a guy who spent 9 years in the NFL.

Look, I remember the frustrations I had with "Botch" on gameday. He was cutting his teeth as a HC when he was here the first time. Like others have said, why not bring him in on the cheap, let him stockpile talent and prove himself to us again. If it doesn't work out (or especially when it DOES work out), bump him into an administrative position and let him ride out his days as UM's hero/savior whatever.

Bring in kiffin he learned his lesson

Please, no. This entire program's Administration needs a "come to Jesus" moment. It's only then when we'll get back to our roots. Those roots have nothing to do with what is popular or bringing someone back who's already associated with the program. Make a ******* decision about what kind of program we want to be. The current version is not working and does not help the University's brand anyway.

Amen to that.

Advertisement
It's funny that the only negative things anyone can come up with about Butch Davis are things that happened over 15 years ago.

Yeah, because he hasn't improved at all during the last 15 years.

******* RETARDED FVCKSTICKS!!!!!!

It's funny that the only negative things anyone can come up with about Butch Davis are things that happened over 15 years ago.

So in summary:
All of the good things about his time at UM 15 years ago would be exactly the same.
All of the bad things about his time at UM 15 years ago would no longer apply.

Got it.

So in summary:
All of the good things about his time at UM 15 years ago would be exactly the same.

Got it.

You're right. A fair assessment must include the pros and cons. But the negatives are far outweighed by the positives in my opinion. Everyone remembers the *** whippings UM took when Butch was here. But we also remember, at least some of us, that he assembled the greatest roster of talent ever in college football and gift-wrapped that along with a national championship to Coker.

If that wasn't enough, the man did it again - or at least started to before being scapegoated - with a struggling UNC program that didn't enjoy the advantages of being located in the single most talent rich area in the country.

Advertisement

So in summary:

Got it.

Yeah...just ask UNC.

******* retards around here....

This.

Turn the page.

How OLD are you?

Agree that people tend to forget all the negatives about Butch. The panic attacks when facing important coaching decisions, the terrible clock management, calling consecutive timeouts before a play in the first quarter, calling a timeout following a delay of game penalty, the list goes on and on. There was a reason that his nickname was Botch.

People are hoping that he somehow replicates his once in a lifetime collection of talent, but there is a reason it was once in a lifetime.

This isn't "once in a lifetime" and isn't luck.

Miami Draft Picks who either played under or were recruited by Butch Davis:

2004 1 5 5 Sean Taylor Redskins DB
1 6 6 Kellen Winslow Jr Browns TE
1 12 12 Jonathan Vilma Jets LB
1 17 17 D.J. Williams Broncos LB
1 19 19 Vernon Carey Dolphins G
1 21 21 Vince Wilfork Patriots DT
7 12 213 Darrell McClover Jets LB
7 14 215 Alfonso Marshall Bears DB
7 53 254 Carlos Joseph Chargers T

2003 1 3 3 Andre Johnson Texans WR
1 15 15 Jerome McDougle Eagles DE
1 23 23 Willis McGahee Bills RB
1 25 25 William Joseph Giants DT
3 25 89 Andrew Williams 49ers DE
4 34 131 Jamaal Green Eagles DE
5 15 150 Matthew Walters Jets DE
7 27 241 Ken Dorsey 49ers QB

2002 1 7 7 Bryant McKinnie Vikings T
1 14 14 Jeremy Shockey Giants TE
1 17 17 Phillip Buchanon Raiders DB
1 24 24 Ed Reed Ravens DB
1 27 27 Mike Rumph 49ers DB
2 19 51 Clinton Portis Broncos RB
4 18 116 Martin Bibla Falcons G
4 37 135 Najeh Davenport Packers RB
6 11 183 James Lewis Colts DB
7 15 226 Daryl Jones Giants WR
7 16 227 Joaquin Gonzalez Browns T

2001 1 11 11 Dan Morgan Panthers LB
1 12 12 Damione Lewis Rams DT
1 16 16 Santana Moss Jets WR
1 30 30 Reggie Wayne Colts WR
3 3 65 James Jackson Browns RB
6 37 200 Leonard Myers Patriots DB
7 45 245 Andre King Browns WR

2000 1 14 14 Bubba Franks Packers TE
2 25 56 Michael Boireau Vikings DE
3 28 90 Nate Webster Buccaneers LB
5 19 148 Richard Mercier Ravens G
7 21 227 Mondriel Fulcher Raiders RB

1999 1 4 4 Edgerrin James Colts RB
5 2 135 Nick Williams Bengals RB
7 39 245 Scott Covington Bengals QB

1998 1 10 10 Duane Starks Ravens DB
3 13 74 Jammi German Falcons WR

1997 1 15 15 Yatil Green Dolphins WR
1 17 17 Kenard Lang Redskins DE
1 18 18 Kenny Holmes Oilers DE
4 15 111 Tremain Mack Bengals DB
5 3 133 Marcus Wimberly Falcons DB
5 18 148 Twan Russell Redskins LB
6 29 192 Tony Gaiter Patriots WR
7 10 211 Carlos Jones Seahawks DB

1996 1 26 26 Ray Lewis Ravens LB
6 8 175 Derrick Harris Rams RB

North Carolina Draft Picks who either played under or were recruited by Butch Davis:

2013 1 7 7 Jonathan Cooper Cardinals G
1 28 28 Sylvester Williams Broncos DT
2 5 37 Giovani Bernard Bengals RB
3 27 89 Brennan Williams Texans T
7 8 214 Travis Bond Vikings G

2012 1 16 16 Quinton Coples Jets DE
2 20 52 Zach Brown Titans LB

2011 1 14 14 Robert Quinn Rams DE
2 8 40 Bruce Carter Cowboys LB
2 20 52 Marvin Austin Giants DT
2 27 59 Greg Little Browns WR
4 3 100 Da'Norris Searcy Bills DB
5 2 133 Johnny White Bills RB
5 21 152 T.J. Yates Texans QB
6 6 171 Quan Sturdivant Cardinals LB
7 15 218 Ryan Taylor Packers TE

2010 4 29 127 E.J. Wilson Seahawks DE
5 15 146 Cam Thomas Chargers DT

2009 1 29 29 Hakeem Nicks Giants WR
2 32 64 Richard Quinn Broncos TE
3 19 83 Brandon Tate Patriots WR
5 20 156 Garrett Reynolds Falcons T
5 24 160 Brooks Foster Rams WR

2008 1 29 29 Kentwan Ballmer 49ers DT
7 14 221 Hilee Taylor Panthers LB

Butch knew how to recognize talent and get the most out of guys. He was similar to Jimmy Johnson in my opinion.

Advertisement
Back