2024 DL Kamarion Franklin 2.0 (commits to Ole Miss)

While I'm with you on most of that, since when have the expectations ever been parallel for us and Ole Miss? You could drop Saban off there a year out of retirement (when he does retire) and still likely not end up with a top 10 class, maybe not even top 20.

In conference, where would you rank Ole Miss in the pecking order of desirable schools? How about when Texas and OU joins? At best, it would be a stretch, it's in the middle. I'd put them in the bottom quarter. Now add the teams from across the land.

My point is that it's a tough place to get top talent. They aren't taken very seriously. If Kiffin went to a premier school, do you think he recruits better there? I do.
Love responses like this. And I won’t hate. All valid. Totally agree. Didn’t say we should be on par with them. Point us, sometimes Mom and Grandma win out. That’s what happened here. I don’t think he doesn’t love Miami. He loves mom and grandma. Kiffin, unlike Mario, will be destroyed in living rooms over his constant moving around. He’s such a great offensive mind I do think he’d land some offensive kids. But I’m not sure he would own recruiting. But fair points

Advertisement
The joke is even with Franklin Ole Miss’ recruiting ranking is now up to 24th. Without Franklin Miami is ranked 15th. At least per 247, FWIW.

The key thing is talent acquisition, whether by HS recruiting or the portal. When Kiffin got to Ole Miss in 2020, Ole Miss was #29 in the total talent composite at 702.95, and by the end of 2022 he got the roster talent up to 759.29. When Cristobal got to UM, the total talent composite was 848.88, now it's 857.08. So in terms of overall roster improvement, Kiffin has been better than you give him credit for.

Love responses like this. And I won’t hate. All valid. Totally agree. Didn’t say we should be on par with them. Point us, sometimes Mom and Grandma win out. That’s what happened here. I don’t think he doesn’t love Miami. He loves mom and grandma. Kiffin, unlike Mario, will be destroyed in living rooms over his constant moving around. He’s such a great offensive mind I do think he’d land some offensive kids. But I’m not sure he would own recruiting. But fair points

For sure man, it's hard to say and all hypothetical all the same.

I don't blame a guy for staying local or at least the same state.

Who can own recruiting though, that's a tough call today. There's three components these days that out distance the others IMO.

NIL
Winning
NFL Producing

Then I'd say relationships and distance quite a bit behind. Of course every kid is different, but the world's smaller and you can see every game on television. Distance used to be massive, but times change.

I think Lane can win anywhere, how much is the question. Give him a top tier NIL program, he'll out coach most. That would lead to wins which then mean NFL draftees.

Man recruiting is fluid as **** anymore and not just kids coming into college, but those already on it. There is no question, roster retention and management has never been tougher.

Problem is yall bought into the hype that we'd secure the top dl class in the nation when there was no proof that would happen. So much was against us for that to happen.
-JT was an unproven coach going up against dudes with decades of proven development.
- We would have to go to Mississippi (Franklin goes to Umiss), Texas (Simmons goes to Tejas), California, Oklahoma (yeah Stone is at IMG but he's from. Oklahoma) and Illinois to get these elite kids all the while going up against schools that have been much better than us for the last 20 years.
- he did get Artavious (2nd ranked DL in Florida. Just got to keep him now)
- Mario ****ed around and produced the quest season of football we've ever had last year. Don't blame kids for saying thanks but no thanks.

So, yeah. I commend the effort but I for one never expected them to pull those kids. Just realism. Maybe a great season allows us to flip some of those kids. Who knows?

Now if next year he doesn't lock up a local kid like Blount them yeah, DT recruiting will always be a problem for him.

Anyways, I've been drinking on some Rebecca Creek since noon and I'm feelin it and wanted to share.

XOXO.
You a CROOTING VET.

I never once bought in...once i saw who were there priority targets on the DL an where they were from.

I stated early on they should have thrown that interest in Jones ( got him) LJ in Daytona...and guys locally like Nicholas.

Last edited:
Advertisement
lane kiffin fau football GIF
Good pick. Any others?

Point being, this HC being a “QB whisper” narrative is not unrealistic. 95% aren’t. The OC takes more of that role.

Advertisement
all that bs hype they kicked and kicked to the media members about epic DL class shouldnt have been done at all. That sh*t was Manny level.

100% agree with this. I thinks this is half the reason CIS is so cynical right now. It would have been so much better if they had set expectations correctly and talked about what a battle all these guys would be. Or maybe they should have just STFU.

There is still guys to be had or flipped...but all that bs hype they kicked and kicked to the media members about epic DL class shouldnt have been done at all. That sh*t was Manny level.

Which coach told the media we were going to have an epic DL class?

Advertisement
This is a good post here. I think the only difference that I want you to consider in all this is that last year was Year 1 for NIL and we were prepared for it with Ruiz who was hungry. Many other schools weren’t as organized and prepared, some of whom were pushing bags first. We beat those guys. Fast forward to this year and everyone has organized NIL with capabilities so in a sense the NIL - while necessary - has become a wash if it’s available from each school. So it’s like it was before NIL on some of these top recruitments. Bags up front, SEC vs ACC, track record…etc…

I know it’s happening in some of the top recruitments with some schools. I really have no answer for it because money matters. I think we need to start winning to at least be taken seriously as well as to be able to more ably reel in Plan B’s who in a number of instances should probably be Plan A’s.

It’s all coming back on us now. Last year really damaged us. It’s beyond depressing. Pray for Dawson and Guidry.

I believe we’re on the same page for the most part. My biggest concern for us is with this new landscape with NIL Mario’s most valuable asset has pretty much been watered down. Hopefully he’s done a better job with his coaching hires this time around.

Advertisement
Some family member posts a tweet and you guys are all up in arms. LOL. Everyone has a crazy aunt or dumb as rocks cousin. Can't have that blowback on the recruits or Miami staff.

Advertisement
Back