2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
From the OU 247 board this afternoon:

How did it get to this point?
From an Oklahoma perspective, the Sooners have been on the verge of landing Stone's on more than one occasion. There was confidence expressed out of Norman a couple different instances, but a commitment was never finalized. Michigan State smoke was also very real as the Spartans surged in this recruitment months ago but weren't able to land a verbal. Even this decision date fell into question several times as there were rumors throughout July and early August that Stone could close things down. Now, with time continuously extended and things remaining open, that's allowed a program like Miami to go full steam ahead. The Canes have expressed their goal of bringing in an elite defensive line class this cycle, and Stone has long been a name on that board. As a result of the extended timeline, Miami's relentless pursuit of Stone and his family has altered the outlook with little time remaining.

Where do things stand now?
Stone and his entire family sat down together after the IMG-Lipscomb Academy game to hash out how they felt and come to a decision
Both OU and Miami staffs were aware of this plan. Going into that dinner meeting, both staffs felt good where things stood.

Stone has great admiration for OU, its coaches and the relationships that are present there, but Stone has also been greatly appreciative of the effort Miami has shown prioritizing Stone and his family members. A concern behind the scenes is that Stone may have to handle some challenges in a potential return to home in Oklahoma. This has increased interest in the thought of staying in Florida and playing at a place like Miami.

Stone still has a lot of admiration for Oklahoma, but his family loves Miami and he has connected with several people in the program.

On the question of Jayden Jackson and his relationship with Stone:

The two have essentially formed a brotherhood while spending time away from their families at IMG Academy. But not too long ago, Jackson was prepared to make a decision independently that had nothing to do with Stone. Schools like Texas, Miami and Ohio State were involved until OU was able to jump into the top spot down the stretch. The OU reporter says that several sources told him that Jackson's decision to commit to OU was his own which has to be considered regarding Stone.

Miami is trying to counter with relationships of its own at this stage in the process.. Stone is close with several current players on the Canes' roster, including a former teammate at IMG in Francis Mauigoa.

Oklahoma feels it has the advantage from a coaching relationship perspective in Todd Bates, but Miami's coaches have really connected with Stone's family. Other commits for OU are also trying to help pursue Stone like Jaydan Hardy, but the Canes are countering with communication from any outlet imaginable.

The 247 reporter says Stone's relationships with Oklahoma's staff and commits remain crucial, but Miami has literally gone all-in on pursuing Stone's family. The Canes' staff called Stone's family members during their 10-hour drive up to Nashville to check in, something that Stone mentioned really stood out. His siblings love their visits to Miami and I know Stone's mother has discussed the advantages of Stone staying in Florida with the Canes' coaches. Both schools can check the 'early playing time' box with actual proof being shown in the depth charts.

Both schools feel good right now. The 247guy says he couldn't in good conscience put a cb in or anyone right now. He expects this recruitment to go down to the wire with info locked up tight until possibly right before the weekend.

tenor.gif

Advertisement

From an Oklahoma perspective, the Sooners have been on the verge of landing Stone's on more than one occasion. There was confidence expressed out of Norman a couple different instances, but a commitment was never finalized. Michigan State smoke was also very real as the Spartans surged in this recruitment months ago but weren't able to land a verbal. Even this decision date fell into question several times as there were rumors throughout July and early August that Stone could close things down. Now, with time continuously extended and things remaining open, that's allowed a program like Miami to go full steam ahead. The Canes have expressed their goal of bringing in an elite defensive line class this cycle, and Stone has long been a name on that board. As a result of the extended timeline, Miami's relentless pursuit of Stone and his family has altered the outlook with little time remaining.

Stone and his entire family sat down together after the IMG-Lipscomb Academy game to hash out how they felt and come to a decision
Both OU and Miami staffs were aware of this plan. Going into that dinner meeting, both staffs felt good where things stood.

Stone has great admiration for OU, its coaches and the relationships that are present there, but Stone has also been greatly appreciative of the effort Miami has shown prioritizing Stone and his family members. A concern behind the scenes is that Stone may have to handle some challenges in a potential return to home in Oklahoma. This has increased interest in the thought of staying in Florida and playing at a place like Miami.

Stone still has a lot of admiration for Oklahoma, but his family loves Miami and he has connected with several people in the program.

The two have essentially formed a brotherhood while spending time away from their families at IMG Academy. But not too long ago, Jackson was prepared to make a decision independently that had nothing to do with Stone. Schools like Texas, Miami and Ohio State were involved until OU was able to jump into the top spot down the stretch. The OU reporter says that several sources told him that Jackson's decision to commit to OU was his own which has to be considered regarding Stone.

Miami is trying to counter with relationships of its own at this stage in the process.. Stone is close with several current players on the Canes' roster, including a former teammate at IMG in Francis Mauigoa.

Oklahoma feels it has the advantage from a coaching relationship perspective in Todd Bates, but Miami's coaches have really connected with Stone's family. Other commits for OU are also trying to help pursue Stone like Jaydan Hardy, but the Canes are countering with communication from any outlet imaginable.

The 247 reporter says Stone's relationships with Oklahoma's staff and commits remain crucial, but Miami has literally gone all-in on pursuing Stone's family. The Canes' staff called Stone's family members during their 10-hour drive up to Nashville to check in, something that Stone mentioned really stood out. His siblings love their visits to Miami and I know Stone's mother has discussed the advantages of Stone staying in Florida with the Canes' coaches. Both schools can check the 'early playing time' box with actual proof being shown in the depth charts.

Both schools feel good right now. The 247guy says he couldn't in good conscience put a cb in or anyone right now. He expects this recruitment to go down to the wire with info locked up tight until possibly right before the weekend.

stop making us feel like we have a chance :LOL:

Advertisement

1692669238909.gif

This, coming from OU, makes me feel slightly confident.

Advertisement
I’m not one to jump to conclusions or see the sky falling over recruiting but..

If the kid doesn’t come with the offer on the table compared to what other teams are offering… you can either assume 1 of 3 things..

He never was coming here and we wasted a ton of time and resources

These recruits know something we don’t that is pushing them elsewhere

Mario isn’t worth $80M. (He’s not but some still think so)
What kind of offer are we talking?

I have no idea on the numbers a kid like this gets, but as an example I could see someone saying they would play at a school that they really like for $500K vs $1M for a school that they are less interested in. Particularly if they think they will be playing in the NFL and/or come from a background that doesn't need money (I have no idea on his family's financial situation). Kind of a like a kid paying full tuition to go to a school they really like vs take the full scholarship to one they are less enthralled with. Maybe that falls into #2 for you?

I’m not one to jump to conclusions or see the sky falling over recruiting but..

If the kid doesn’t come with the offer on the table compared to what other teams are offering… you can either assume 1 of 3 things..

He never was coming here and we wasted a ton of time and resources

These recruits know something we don’t that is pushing them elsewhere

Mario isn’t worth $80M. (He’s not but some still think so)
Is the inverse then true if he does come here?

In my proverbial sky might be falling post I left out that all of that being said…

I think Miami lands him.

They literally have to. If they don’t I’m not really sure where they turn. Momentum will be killed and I would put some $ on Lightfoot and Jones dipping from the class as well. They jumped on board with expectation of playing beside some monsters. Lightfoot’s mom is obviously a huge fan of JT, though.

Advertisement
What kind of offer are we talking?

I have no idea on the numbers a kid like this gets, but as an example I could see someone saying they would play at a school that they really like for $500K vs $1M for a school that they are less interested in. Particularly if they think they will be playing in the NFL and/or come from a background that doesn't need money (I have no idea on his family's financial situation). Kind of a like a kid paying full tuition to go to a school they really like vs take the full scholarship to one they are less enthralled with. Maybe that falls into #2 for you?
Rumored amount would go over 7 figures over the course of 3 years.

2nd largest NIL deal for UM based on my knowledge

What does this mean? Bad crowd back home?

In my proverbial sky might be falling post I left out that all of that being said…

I think Miami lands him.

They literally have to. If they don’t I’m not really sure where they turn. Momentum will be killed and I would put some $ on Lightfoot and Jones dipping from the class as well. They jumped on board with expectation of playing beside some monsters. Lightfoot’s mom is obviously a huge fan of JT, though.
bruh we better get him then

I think Miami lands him.

Laurence Fishburne Sweet Jesus GIF by NETFLIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back