DL Briggs coming to JR day, hoping for offer

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_0465.jpg

With Miami holding their first junior day of the 2018 class on Saturday, it should be an eventful weekend of recruiting news. Not only could there be a commit or two, but expect multiple offers to go out as well. One possible new name on the board could be DL Dennis Briggs of Gateway HS in Kissimmee, Florida.

"I'm aggressive, can read plays well, and quick off the ball. I'm good using my hands too," Briggs said. "Most of the offensive linemen I face don't have a long reach, so my long arms help me to get around them.

The defensive line prospect says he is currently at 6-4, 255-pounds, adding 10 pounds since the end of his season, which he attributes to just hitting the weight room.

"I see myself moving around a bit. Before I used to think I was only a defensive end, but now I have a better view and see that I can play defensive tackle too. I wouldn't mind it at all," Briggs said.

[HUDL]video/3/4331254/57e340d190f994051cb3f748[/HUDL]

Briggs will be visiting Miami this weekend for their junior day, where he is hopeful he will receiver an offer from the Hurricanes.

"It would mean a lot. Growing up, watching them on TV, it would be a dream," Briggs said. "They are a program that plays for championships and they are about their business."

"I'm just looking to meet most of the staff and get a better view of Miami. I want to get a chance to meet Mark Richt and have a conversation with him," he said. "Coach Kuligowski is a really great person who cares about his players and hopefully I get to know him more over the next year."

Briggs says he watched Miami's defense "quite a few times" last season, including the impressive performance against West Virginia in the bowl game. He said, "They are very aggressive and savages, basically. That's the best way to describe them."

The Kissimmee product plans on checking out UCF, UF, and FSU in-state as well in the spring time and into the summer. Louisville offered him yesterday.

Here is an excerpt on Briggs from a recent article in the Orlando Sentinel, who ranked him as the number-2 player in Central Florida after Canes 5-star commit Lorenzo Lingard.

We’re giving Briggs, ranked No. 2 overall in Central Florida, the edge over No. 3 Kirby at this time, but both of these guys can bring the hurt.

Briggs is 6-foot-4, 235 pounds of pure nasty and brute strength. What’s crazy about Briggs is that with him being tucked away in the Osceola County recruiting abyss, not a lot of coaches know about him.
Defensive linemen Dennis Briggs, Stacy Kirby among top area juniors - Orlando Sentinel

Last edited:
Advertisement
FYI - I'm told Miami is very interested here and they are waiting to see what he looks like in person walking around when they see him this weekend.

View attachment 42855

With Miami holding their first junior day of the 2018 class on Saturday, it should be an eventful weekend of recruiting news. Not only could their be a commit or two, but expect multiple offers to go out as well. One possible new name on the board could be DL Dennis Briggs of Gateway HS in Kissimmee, Florida.

"I'm aggressive, can read plays well, and quick off the ball. I'm good using my hands too," Briggs said. "Most of the offensive linemen I face don't have a long reach, so my long arms help me to get around them.

The defensive line prospect says he is currently at 6-4, 255-pounds, adding 10 pounds since the end of his season, which he attributes to just hitting the weight room.

"I see myself moving around a bit. Before I used to think I was only a defensive end, but now I have a better view and see that I can play defensive tackle too. I wouldn't mind it at all," Briggs said.

Briggs will be visiting Miami this weekend for their junior day, where he is hopeful he will receiver an offer from the Hurricanes.

"It would mean a lot. Growing up, watching them on TV, it would be a dream," Briggs said. "They are a program that plays for championships and they are about their business."

"I'm just looking to meet most of the staff and get a better view of Miami. I want to get a chance to meet Mark Richt and have a conversation with him," he said. "Coach Kuligowski is a really great person who cares about his players and hopefully I get to know him more over the next year."

Briggs says he watched Miami's defense "quite a few times" last season, including the impressive performance against West Virginia in the bowl game. He said, "They are very aggressive and savages, basically. That's the best way to describe them."

The Kissimmee product plans on checking out UCF, UF, and FSU in-state as well in the spring time and into the summer. Louisville offered him yesterday.

Here is an excerpt on Briggs from a recent article in the Orlando Sentinel, who ranked him as the number-2 player in Central Florida after Canes 5-star commit Lorenzo Lingard.

We’re giving Briggs, ranked No. 2 overall in Central Florida, the edge over No. 3 Kirby at this time, but both of these guys can bring the hurt.

Briggs is 6-foot-4, 235 pounds of pure nasty and brute strength. What’s crazy about Briggs is that with him being tucked away in the Osceola County recruiting abyss, not a lot of coaches know about him.
Defensive linemen Dennis Briggs, Stacy Kirby among top area juniors - Orlando Sentinel

Would be nice to pluck another recruit out of Gator/FSU country.

This kid is BIG time.... severely underrated. Like his film better than the Carolina kid

Advertisement
View attachment 42855

With Miami holding their first junior day of the 2018 class on Saturday, it should be an eventful weekend of recruiting news. Not only could their be a commit or two, but expect multiple offers to go out as well. One possible new name on the board could be DL Dennis Briggs of Gateway HS in Kissimmee, Florida.

Would be nice to pluck another recruit out of Gator/FSU country.

Its obvious that Richt's hate for UF is still strong and he is sending a message by taking the best players out of UF territory...

**** this kid is good with his hands, nice explosion off the ball and he can still gain weight and be molded into what Kul wants. Oh.,..... And stealing him from Gaytor country will once again just have me doing backflips

Yes please, the back to back plays in the backfield at about 40 seconds in was alls I needed to see. Kid has some serious size (with room to grow) , quickness , and natural ability , coach Kool will turn him into a beast if he comes here .

Last edited:
Advertisement
Seems like Jamarcus Chatman, Dennis Briggs and Jordan Davis all want in.

Are all takes?

We need at least 4 DT's in this class.

Are all takes?

Chatman and Davis are sure fire takes from what I've heard. Guess we will see on a Briggs.

Isn't it funny how these guys seem to be falling off trees now with Kool in charge?

Are all takes?

Chatman and Davis are sure fire takes from what I've heard. Guess we will see on a Briggs.

Isn't it funny how these guys seem to be falling off trees now with Kool in charge?
Was just thinking about that yesterday. Coaching pedigree matters

Advertisement
I have to laugh 247 has him listed as the 48th rated DL in the 18 class. If there are 47 kids better than this kid, I'd love to see some tapes. I know rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but come on what we just saw was pretty **** impressive.

I have to laugh 247 has him listed as the 48th rated DL in the 18 class. If there are 47 kids better than this kid, I'd love to see some tapes. I know rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but come on what we just saw was pretty **** impressive.

Its still early.

I like him. It must be crazy fun to be a UM coach right now. They put in the work to be good coaches and develop our players, especially the freshmen last season and they are seeing immediate results. They're in a great position to make such tough decisions on takes and offers. This weekend is gonna be a blast!

Advertisement

Jeff Thomas was disrespected too for a long time and then exploded

Great write up Peter!

Keep it coming with shinning that light on the program we all love.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back