2025 DJ Pickett 5* Safety from Zephyrhills

Only Miami unicorn I know is @calinative umstudent

IMG_3266.jpeg

Advertisement
CIS gurus and DB experts say Pickett is the goods. They were wrong about Tracy Howard….but that’s in the past. This time, the DB gurus are correct.

Come on man, did you see @MumbleRap's post above? "6’4” DB running a 10.6 at 16 and having a 35+ vert is a different level." You don't think that merits consideration as being an elite prospect? You don't think the fact both Corey Raymond and Guidry have him at the top of their boards doesn't validate his measurables? I feel like we're arguing for argument's sake.

Come on man, did you see @MumbleRap's post above? "6’4” DB running a 10.6 at 16 and having a 35+ vert is a different level." You don't think that merits consideration as being an elite prospect? You don't think the fact both Corey Raymond and Guidry have him at the top of their boards doesn't validate his measurables? I feel like we're arguing for argument's sake.
No, he looks like the goods but so did Tracy Howard. HS isn’t Power 5 football. Who really knows how it will translate?

Advertisement
I’d put Zayden Walker above Nickel as well.

Nickel has a nice ceiling & canes would be lucky to have him, but these are foundation pieces that change trajectory.

Look at the last 4 national champion QBs
- Mac Jones
- Stetson Bennett
- Stetson Bennett again
- JJ McCarthy

Great college QBs but none are world beaters. Stack as much NFL talent as humanly possible & find yourself your Ken Dorsey. It seems to be the trend working as of late.
I'm curious when was the last NC we had where the QB who won was clearly the best QB in the nation?

I'm stumped.

Nickel has a nice ceiling & canes would be lucky to have him, but these are foundation pieces that change trajectory.

- Mac Jones
- Stetson Bennett
- Stetson Bennett again
- JJ McCarthy

Great college QBs but none are world beaters. Stack as much NFL talent as humanly possible & find yourself your Ken Dorsey. It seems to be the trend working as of late.
The trend is having the top defense.

No, he looks like the goods but so did Tracy Howard. HS isn’t Power 5 football. Who really knows how it will translate?
Only thing I remember about Howard in high school is that clip of Stacey Coley making him look like he’s never played CB before

It started that whole debate like was it Coley is just that good or is Howard not quite the elite guy we were hoping for

Advertisement

- Mac Jones
- Stetson Bennett
- Stetson Bennett again
- JJ McCarthy

Dorsey was an outstanding HS QB in Cali.

Advertisement
The difference is you need to be able to separate expected production & ability - One does not equal the other.

Howard was expected to produce at a high level due to the technical side, honestly we should’ve seen it coming though… He was 5’10” & ran a 4.5-4.6

Advertisement
Regardless of the Penn St debacle....Testaverde was easily the best QB in the country. Torretta had absolutely no reason winning the Heisman. Faulk & Garrison Hearst both should've finished ahead of him.
Agreed, but Miami didn’t win the natty with him.
Torretta shouldn’t have won heisman but he was still the best QB that year… still no natty.

All 5 titles UM has won have been with great QBs but not the best in nation.

Agreed, which is why Nickel is nice, but getting that Elite LB & Elite DB we haven’t gotten in a long time is far more important.
Can't agree on LB and really DB. QB is the most important position in football. Anyone saying differently doesn't understand the game of this century IMO. You used to be able to lean on a running game and defense. Now its more of an outlier, and not the normal. UGA starting winning NC's when their offense caught up to the defense. Alabama and Saban changed their approach as his old way became too hard to win NC's.

Frist of all the goal should be to get elite talent all over the board. That is what the Playoff and National Champions do. They stack it all over.

The notion though that Stetson Bennett wasn't a world beater in college is grossly selling him short.

He excelled in the playoffs, and when UGA needed him most. HE is a sawed off little guy that was still drafted even due to his physical limitations, just because of how much of a playmaker he was.

Mac Jones was a 1st round pick, and JJ McCarthy looks to be a first round pick also(I'm not the biggest McCarthy fan).

In last years playoffs though Stetson Bennett actually outdueled C.J. Stroud in that game coming down the stretch. He was magnificent in the 2nd half, and UGA would have lost if it wasn't for all the plays Stetson Made. He threw for 398 yards, and had 4 total TD's, and they needed every single bit of it to knock off Ohio State.

Stetson Bennett helped lead a program that hadn't won a NC in 40 years to back to back titles. He leaves, and they don't make the playoffs. If Stetson had been QB for UGA this past season, I think they would have won it again.

He led the SEC in 2022 with 37 total touchdowns. He threw for over 4,000 yards.

Anyways rant over, You need to be really good across the board, but we can't sell QB position short like that IMO.

Advertisement
Back