DJ Johnson switching positions

Advertisement
Advertisement
Noticed a sighting during this Oregon vs. Oregon game that going on now. Old news and irrelevant. However, I noticed a common occurrence, where kids who spurn Miami in one way or the other flame out. He transferred because of playing time, only to switched positions and be 2nd/3rd string. I don't get it man.

You and me both. I just saw nothing. He made some plays in high school because he was just better than the guys he went against. That just isn't saying much. When I looked at his film compared to Garvin's, it was a shocking difference, yet one was a top 100 player, and the other was a 3 star hoping to get a bump.
The so-called "recruiting experts" get so many things wrong, it's ridiculous that some people treat their rankings as gospel. There are just way too many h.s. football players across the country for these guys to rate accurately. On average, sure you'd rather get higher ranked guys. But there are so many exceptions that it's absurd. The best thing for a coaching staff is to see players live and make their own judgement.

Advertisement
Two comments: first, another highly rated OOS far away top recruit who doesn’t pan out. There’s a lesson in that.

Second, evaluating kids is hard. It’s not a few clips or a camp setting. There’s too much missed by that. That’s why evaluating local kids should have a higher success rate, and why the recruiting services cannot be considered evaluation services. They’re aggregators of rumors - what they think top schools think.

I was excited about DJ when he came here. Not going to lie. But all the rules of recruiting, they held.

The so-called "recruiting experts" get so many things wrong, it's ridiculous that some people treat their rankings as gospel. There are just way too many h.s. football players across the country for these guys to rate accurately. On average, sure you'd rather get higher ranked guys. But there are so many exceptions that it's absurd. The best thing for a coaching staff is to see players live and make their own judgement.
I'd like to add, there are intangibles that you just can't see on film. How do they react to competition? What is their work ethic? Are they a team player, or a me first player? Sure, most 4-5 star players jump out on film, but that does not mean all 4-5 stars will make it at the next level. ****, some dudes are done growing at 18 and dominate in high school, only to have maxed out at 18. Then you have dudes that have good film, not amazing, but good, that end up growing another 2 inches and put on another 40 pounds of muscle after high school. Can they recognize a guy that was an early bloomer, over one that is still filling out?

Recruiting services can not know it all, and they need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Agree w all of this.

I called him out from the jump. I told everyone he’s from Sac, where they have **** poor competition. Both him & Josh Falo (who’s also from Sac & was linked to us) were overrated af. They were plus athletes playing against some of the weakest comp in CA. I also told @The Franchise during his recruitment that if he’s choosing us b/c “Adidas is his favorite brand”, then I’m hella weary bout this dude.

Recruiting experts sometimes become so enamored w/ physical attributes, which is key, but at times they don’t take in consideration the system a kid may play in, the competition the kid play against, etc. One of my boys used to work for SLAM magazine & scouted. He admitted he would be so in love w a kid’s height & vert that he would totally miss who the kid played against, robotic movements due to programming, etc.

Two comments: first, another highly rated OOS far away top recruit who doesn’t pan out. There’s a lesson in that.

Second, evaluating kids is hard. It’s not a few clips or a camp setting. There’s too much missed by that. That’s why evaluating local kids should have a higher success rate, and why the recruiting services cannot be considered evaluation services. They’re aggregators of rumors - what they think top schools think.

I was excited about DJ when he came here. Not going to lie. But all the rules of recruiting, they held.
First comment local 5star Lorenzo Lingard couldnt find any playing.. transfered and again cannot find any playing time. Guess there’s a lesson in that?

second comment... yeah evaluating is hard and why success rates on classes is always so choppy. One thing that should always be looked for is how much does the kid love football and the side work to get better.

Advertisement
Advertisement
First comment local 5star Lorenzo Lingard couldnt find any playing.. transfered and again cannot find any playing time. Guess there’s a lesson in that?

second comment... yeah evaluating is hard and why success rates on classes is always so choppy. One thing that should always be looked for is how much does the kid love football and the side work to get better.
Lingard was not a local kid, just sayin. And the random anecdote response is silly anyhow.

Advertisement
Back