Discussion: Something out of the box for OC

Advertisement
I honestly feel like with the budget increase that we are going to see a completely different Miami. Zero excuse to not have an elite staff and not sign top 5 recruiting classes. I’m not sure what our current budget is, but you add 25-30 million annually and we are cooking with peanut oil. I’m happy with Mario or Lane, but I feel like Mario is coming home. I know he has head scratching games, but I expect with an elite staff and the wholes within the roster are filled then that will go away. This is an exciting time fellas!

He’ll be an OC in the NFL shortly so why he want to be an OC in college?
Daboll took a similar route, it's the only example that I can think of tho, but it's not unreasonable if he want to speed the process.

Mullen would be great, I'm good with Lashlee staying too

Advertisement
If and when Mario takes over as HC his 1st call for OC should be to Herman. You get a top notch play caller and recruiter with him. Make him say no several times before moving on.

So I was just think about Mario’s struggles at QB and I thought this might be a great solution and wanted to pitch it.

What if Mario or Lane hires Ken Dorsey? It’s already known that whenever Brian Daboll takes an HC job that Ken is going to inherit the OC role. It’ll also give us a QB coach with one of the best QB coach resumes in FB right now. Imagine walking into a QBs house and being able to say I coached Josh Allen and Cam Newton to their MVP seasons? if Mario offers him the OC/QB coach and brings in Frank Ponce to be the CO-OC/TE coach as well Ponce can help him learn the process as an OC since he calls plays for App St.

In Lane’s case, he would be learning directly from him and would serve more of a game planning role but when Lane leaves He’ll be able to carry on the same O Lane ran.

I think it’s something that should be considered.
I don’t see Ken leaving the NFL for a college job. Hes on his way to climbing those ranks and has great young QB. I don’t think the timing is right

How about Tom Herman? If nobody is calling him for any P5 HC gigs then maybe he can take the route of OC at a P5 to get his value back up for a real HC gig again? I’m sure that extra 20-30M gives us the finances to make it happen.

Edit: looks like Washington is interested as HC

Last edited:
Advertisement
Then we need to overhaul the right side of the O-line.

The combo of Zion/Jalen was awesome and Jakai looks like he’ll be one of the best centers in the ACC but that right side might as well be a turnstile.
Agree the right side of the line needs attention but I would actually be interested in seeing TVD grow more in Lashlee's offense and see the run game improve with a coach who knows how to build an OL.

Surprised no one is mentioning Mullen going the Saban career reboot path if O'Brien finds another job (NFL) and bolts.

Seems to happen every freakin year.

If it’s Mario, give me Mullen. Say what you want about him as a HC he’s a dam good OC.

All you need to recruit is 1 kid a year vs 30. Just make sure he’s a good QB.

Fox Tv No GIF by Last Man Standing

Advertisement
I’m leaning towards Mario keeping Lashlee, in large part, because I’m so impressed with what he’s done with TVD. Seems like he knows how to teach that position.
Definitely, no reason not to keep lashlee

Advertisement
I’m leaning towards Mario keeping Lashlee, in large part, because I’m so impressed with what he’s done with TVD. Seems like he knows how to teach that position.
I agree. It seems like the play calling is so much better with TVD. Maybe King wasn't a fit for Lashlee. It just seems night and day between Lashlee for those two QBs. If we improve the OL, the offense is poised to roll. What many folks forget is how difficult it is to learn a new playbook over and over. Lashlee isn't being targeted for any HC jobs so we would have consistentcy there.

So I was just think about Mario’s struggles at QB and I thought this might be a great solution and wanted to pitch it.

What if Mario or Lane hires Ken Dorsey? It’s already known that whenever Brian Daboll takes an HC job that Ken is going to inherit the OC role. It’ll also give us a QB coach with one of the best QB coach resumes in FB right now. Imagine walking into a QBs house and being able to say I coached Josh Allen and Cam Newton to their MVP seasons? if Mario offers him the OC/QB coach and brings in Frank Ponce to be the CO-OC/TE coach as well Ponce can help him learn the process as an OC since he calls plays for App St.

In Lane’s case, he would be learning directly from him and would serve more of a game planning role but when Lane leaves He’ll be able to carry on the same O Lane ran.

I think it’s something that should be considered.

it's not as out of the box as you think. I don't know ken personally, however, I do know someone who worked with him on the Carolina staff. It's someone who I played against in college, and who was on Coach Cozza's staff with me, so it's someone whom I've known for a while and I trust his judgment.

he says, hands down, ken is a real talent, and his rep in the NFL is excellent. He will be on the short list for OC jobs next season, at Buffalo or elsewhere. My friend thinks Ken would kill it as a developer of QB talent in college. He'd be a Norv Turner or Marc Trestman type when it came to grooming QB's.

He's been in the NFL so long, I obviously don't know how he'd feel about recruiting and all the stuff that comes with being at this level.

But if he wants to do it? I'd love to see him in orange and green before someone else grabs him.

How about Tom Herman? If nobody is calling him for any P5 HC gigs then maybe he can take the route of OC at a P5 to get his value back up for a real HC gig again? I’m sure that extra 20-30M gives us the finances to make it happen.

Edit: looks like Washington is interested as HC

I was secretly hoping Herman would be available, and interested in, an OC position with Cristobal. I figured it would be an easy sell with a down ACC and a star QB already here. Guess I'll keep dreaming lol 😆

Advertisement
Back