Discussion: Something out of the box for OC

Advertisement
I mean, to keep it a buck...that would be a ******* home run lol. Lack of QB hurt them this year obviously and he lost control but as a pure play caller? Man listen, lol. If we don't, someone else will.
Im sure he’ll have some HC options though. But then again, maybe he over it lol

Great, let's hire someone with no experience at the position they were hired for. Sounds like a great plan as it's worked so well for us through the years from the head man on down. I wish we had this kind of forward thinking the last decade and a half. It'll make a great movie, from past great as a player to the bestest OC in the land.

I personally will never doubt Dorsey in any capacity. Having said that, you don't do something like you're suggesting if you're trying to rebuild a program from the ashes to a top team in the land. I'm going to pass on a learn on the fly OC. I coached so and in the NFL won't matter when a recruit asks how his offenses have done.

Im sure he’ll have some HC options though. But then again, maybe he over it lol

Yeah. I'm just assuming, obviously I don't know the man but I'd be surprised if he was ready to dive right back into being an HC. Even if he was, no good P5 options would be available for him. Word is he basically was over the sh*t at UF, so if that's true it aint like he would be stoked to go be a G5 coach. He'd be cheap too, still getting paid by UF. Come and work with a kid like TVD? Man, I've warmed up to it already lol.

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, this isn't thinking out of the box. Some misguided posters have been bringing up Dorsey as an OC for years going back to his Carolina days.

Advertisement
So I was just think about Mario’s struggles at QB and I thought this might be a great solution and wanted to pitch it.

What if Mario or Lane hires Ken Dorsey? It’s already known that whenever Brian Daboll takes an HC job that Ken is going to inherit the OC role. It’ll also give us a QB coach with one of the best QB coach resumes in FB right now. Imagine walking into a QBs house and being able to say I coached Josh Allen and Cam Newton to their MVP seasons? if Mario offers him the OC/QB coach and brings in Frank Ponce to be the CO-OC/TE coach as well Ponce can help him learn the process as an OC since he calls plays for App St.

In Lane’s case, he would be learning directly from him and would serve more of a game planning role but when Lane leaves He’ll be able to carry on the same O Lane ran.

I think it’s something that should be considered.
Maybe it’s because of the Dolphins why I despise “co-coordinators”.

Oh and by the way, this isn't thinking out of the box. Some misguided posters have been bringing up Dorsey as an OC for years going back to his Carolina days.

Yep. In typical CIs fashion, posters have been bringing up KD/OC for years, it seems

Yeah. I'm just assuming, obviously I don't know the man but I'd be surprised if he was ready to dive right back into being an HC. Even if he was, no P5 options would be available for him. Word is he basically was over the sh*t at UF, so if that's true it aint like he would be stoked to go be a G5 coach. He'd be cheap too, still getting paid by UF. Come and work with a kid like TVD? Man, I've warmed up to it already lol.
Since you said it.... I legit thought it. Mullen at OC here. I just didn't want to be the first to say it. 😂😂😂

I just know he is lazy at recruiting.

Advertisement
Since you said it.... I legit thought it. Mullen at OC here. I just didn't want to be the first to say it. 😂😂😂

I just know he is lazy at recruiting.

That's fine. Recruit 1-2 QB's a year and let the rest take care of the rest, simple. You just call plays and keep TVD on his upward trajectory, don't worry about recruiting.

Yeah. I'm just assuming, obviously I don't know the man but I'd be surprised if he was ready to dive right back into being an HC. Even if he was, no P5 options would be available for him. Word is he basically was over the sh*t at UF, so if that's true it aint like he would be stoked to go be a G5 coach. He'd be cheap too, still getting paid by UF. Come and work with a kid like TVD? Man, I've warmed up to it already lol.
For sure. For me it’s appealing he’s done it featuring so many different guys in his offense too. I don’t like one truck pony’s with passing or running. Need both to win and he’s always had been able to do both. Would be a grand slam hire like you said lol

For sure. For me it’s appealing he’s done it featuring so many different guys in his offense too. I don’t like one truck pony’s with passing or running. Need both to win and he’s always had been able to do both. Would be a grand slam hire like you said lol

Sh*t yeah it would be. I can't believe I didn't think about this before this thread.

Who do we need to get this idea to? Mans could revive his career QUICKLY with a guy like TVD and Garcia in the wings. He tried to get the HC job down here more than once so there's some love for UM in there somewhere. IF he wants to coach next season, we need to make that happen if Mario ends up being the guy. I'm sold to the point where I might be upset if it aint him, lol. Make it happen damnit. @DMoney float this idea to whoever tf you need to float it to lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sh*t yeah it would be. I can't believe I didn't think about this before this thread.

Who do we need to get this idea to? Mans could revive his career QUICKLY with a guy like TVD and Garcia in the wings. He tried to get the HC job down here more than once so there's some love for UM in there somewhere. IF he wants to coach next season, we need to make that happen if Mario ends up being the guy. I'm sold to the point where I might be upset if it aint him, lol. Make it happen damnit.
😂😂😂 if there’s a guy to hire him it is Mario. I was watching a clip from him the other day with Josh Pate going through the interview process with coaches it’s a good watch. He is definitely picky/precise when trying to make these hires. He’s made a few hires from SEC coaches on his staff (Moorhead/Mclendon) that have worked out well. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him do it again.

From Mullens perspective, you’d want to go with a guy like Mario. Your OL is going to be good with him and Mirabal. And you know he’s going to be top guys each cycle for you.

So I was just think about Mario’s struggles at QB and I thought this might be a great solution and wanted to pitch it.

What if Mario or Lane hires Ken Dorsey? It’s already known that whenever Brian Daboll takes an HC job that Ken is going to inherit the OC role. It’ll also give us a QB coach with one of the best QB coach resumes in FB right now. Imagine walking into a QBs house and being able to say I coached Josh Allen and Cam Newton to their MVP seasons? if Mario offers him the OC/QB coach and brings in Frank Ponce to be the CO-OC/TE coach as well Ponce can help him learn the process as an OC since he calls plays for App St.

In Lane’s case, he would be learning directly from him and would serve more of a game planning role but when Lane leaves He’ll be able to carry on the same O Lane ran.

I think it’s something that should be considered.
He should just keep Lashlee in my opinion. Look at the Work Lashlee has been doing with TVD, we hire Mario and get 2+ years with TVD/Lashlee

Dorsey? You know **** well he's too **** qualified for our tradition of justifying under qualified former players getting assistant jobs. How many ex-canes will be on Mario's staff? How many of you will convince yourselves Lamar Thomas was the right choice for WR coach when that first is floated as some dumb rumor and then becomes fact?

Advertisement
I’d rather keep Lashlee than hire Mullen. My preference.

Lashlee nuts up too often when things get tough.

He also does a poor job preparing for obvious potential problems.

He’ll stand on the sideline with his thumb up his but and watch one defender tear the team apart and just hope it gets better.

I take Mullen 7 days a week. Yeah TVD would learn a new offense but he can handle it. Mullen would give us a lot more juice to get through tough situations.

TVD is playing well, but I have not forgotten how Lashlee came out against Bama. He was a big part of the FSU debacle too. There is a trend developing of him laying eggs when it matters.

Lashlee nuts up too often when things get tough.

He also does a poor job preparing for obvious potential problems.

He’ll stand on the sideline with his thumb up his but and watch one defender tear the team apart and just hope it gets better.

I take Mullen 7 days a week. Yeah TVD would learn a new offense but he can handle it. Mullen would give us a lot more juice to get through tough situations.

TVD is playing well, but I have not forgotten how Lashlee came out against Bama. He was a big part of the FSU debacle too. There is a trend developing of him laying eggs when it matters.
I agree with a lot of what you say. Good perspective.

Advertisement
Back