Discussion: Something out of the box for OC

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
So I was just think about Mario’s struggles at QB and I thought this might be a great solution and wanted to pitch it.

What if Mario or Lane hires Ken Dorsey? It’s already known that whenever Brian Daboll takes an HC job that Ken is going to inherit the OC role. It’ll also give us a QB coach with one of the best QB coach resumes in FB right now. Imagine walking into a QBs house and being able to say I coached Josh Allen and Cam Newton to their MVP seasons? if Mario offers him the OC/QB coach and brings in Frank Ponce to be the CO-OC/TE coach as well Ponce can help him learn the process as an OC since he calls plays for App St.

In Lane’s case, he would be learning directly from him and would serve more of a game planning role but when Lane leaves He’ll be able to carry on the same O Lane ran.

I think it’s something that should be considered.

Advertisement
Dorsey would be one of the better OCs in the country imo. You load him up with recruiters on offense. They’re putting up big numbers.

He’s done it with dual threat/power run scheme and now a heavy, heavy passing scheme with Buffalo.

So I was just think about Mario’s struggles at QB and I thought this might be a great solution and wanted to pitch it.

What if Mario or Lane hires Ken Dorsey? It’s already known that whenever Brian Daboll takes an HC job that Ken is going to inherit the OC role. It’ll also give us a QB coach with one of the best QB coach resumes in FB right now. Imagine walking into a QBs house and being able to say I coached Josh Allen and Cam Newton to their MVP seasons? if Mario offers him the OC/QB coach and brings in Frank Ponce to be the CO-OC/TE coach as well Ponce can help him learn the process as an OC since he calls plays for App St.

In Lane’s case, he would be learning directly from him and would serve more of a game planning role but when Lane leaves He’ll be able to carry on the same O Lane ran.

I think it’s something that should be considered.
I see your point. I suggest Miami focus on homerun (ok triple) AD hire. Let that person give the OK to hire HC. Let HC fill out his staff as he desires.

Question for all: Does new AD take on both tasks simultneously in restoring Football and making Basketball an ACC/National power?

Are Larrangas days numbered?

I leave out baseball becausebit doesn't generate a ton of press.... no offense.

Dorsey would be one of the better OCs in the country imo. You load him up with recruiters on offense. They’re putting up big numbers.

He’s done it with dual threat/power run scheme and now a heavy, heavy passing scheme with Buffalo.
That’s what I was thinking too. He’s been in 2 different philosophies and helped both QBs grow tremendously. Plus I don’t see him struggling to recruit QBs. Like I said, “Hi. I’m Ken. I coached Cam Newton and Josh Allen to MVPs :)

Advertisement
I personally wouldn’t want Ponce anywhere near here as OC, lol. Him and James Coley both need to stay the **** away from my Hurricanes, please. I don’t want them here in any capacity.

Love Dorsey and he is a riser for sure but with Mario, I’d def want more of a sure thing. I don’t think Dorsey has ever called plays, right? We need to invest heavy and go get an elite OC if it’s Mario. Dorsey aint that currently, JMO.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn’t want Ponce anywhere near here, lol. Him and James Coley both need to stay the **** away from my Hurricanes, please. I don’t want them here in any capacity.

Love Dorsey and he is a riser for sure but with Mario, I’d def want more of a sure thing. I don’t thinkDorsey has never called plays, right? We need to invest heavy and go get an elite OC if it’s Mario. Dorsey aint that currently, JMO.
What’s wrong with ponce?

Advertisement
I personally wouldn’t want Ponce anywhere near here, lol. Him and James Coley both need to stay the **** away from my Hurricanes, please. I don’t want them here in any capacity.

Love Dorsey and he is a riser for sure but with Mario, I’d def want more of a sure thing. I don’t think Dorsey has ever called plays, right? We need to invest heavy and go get an elite OC if it’s Mario. Dorsey aint that currently, JMO.
Ponce was just the name I came up with because he knows Mario but it can obviously be anybody with experience as an OC to split the duties with him. Likens if he stays could be a choice as well. One thing for sure is that I def don’t want Moorhead.

Advertisement
Ponce was just the name I came up with because he knows Mario but it can obviously be anybody with experience as an OC to split the duties with him. Likens if he stays could be a choice as well. One thing for sure is that I def don’t want Moorhead.

*anybody with proven sustained success as OC. We would need to hit a home run at OC with Mario. Ponce, nor Likens are anywhere close to that. JMO.

Advertisement
I’m leaning towards Mario keeping Lashlee, in large part, because I’m so impressed with what he’s done with TVD. Seems like he knows how to teach that position.
Then we need to overhaul the right side of the O-line.

The combo of Zion/Jalen was awesome and Jakai looks like he’ll be one of the best centers in the ACC but that right side might as well be a turnstile.

Then we need to overhaul the right side of the O-line.

The combo of Zion/Jalen was awesome and Jakai looks like he’ll be one of the best centers in the ACC but that right side might as well be a turnstile.
Agree on the right side of the line but notice how sacks given up by the o-line ha gone down since TVD took over?

Pass protection is way better but the run blocking needs major improvements. I feel Mario would fix that and make Lashlee an even better play caller.

If it’s Mario, give me Mullen. Say what you want about him as a HC he’s a dam good OC.

All you need to recruit is 1 kid a year vs 30. Just make sure he’s a good QB.

I mean, to keep it a buck...that would be a ******* home run lol. Lack of QB hurt them this year obviously and he lost control but as a pure play caller? Man listen, lol. If we don't, someone else will.

Advertisement
Back